Why become a member? ×

the reason relationships and bands are a bad idea

Chrismanbass

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1367107465' post='2061444']
Singing songs about skinny asses is never going to end well... :ph34r:
[/quote]

No, it never ends well. Not at all, no. In no way do songs about skinny asses end well, no siree.

Apparently, Frederik owned the publishing rights to Burke's Peerage at one time. There's a thing, eh?

Well, must dash. Got to soak my feet before bedtime. Terrible dry skin. Probably too much firewalking. Damn these company bonding weekends.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7r1LV07Ws"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7r1LV07Ws[/url]

I once got my girlfriend in a band I was in. It was all my idea. It destroyed what should have been a great outfit. I should have listened to the drummer. Turned out my GF at the time was a really nasty piece of work (and still is, by all accounts). But I was blind because she had great bangers.

Such is life, but never again.

BTW, the drummer who was so wise at the time turned into a heroin addict, and got involved with another ex of mine. He was a proper gent who beat the sh*t out of her and stole her money.

Such is life

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1367145644' post='2061617']
Really? I'm intrigued. Do tell!
[/quote]

Sine the 1980's, Lang and Lovett have frequently toured as a 'package'. When Lovett was on the rebound from Julia Roberts in 1993, Lang offered the physiognomically-challenged Texan beanpole a degree of friendly moral support which, over time, began to blossom into something more.

The only impediment to the consummation of this unlikely partnership was Lang's (at the time unstated) status as a practitioner of the Sapphic arts. In discussion, both agreed that the only way forward was for Lovett to become a woman and an appointment was accordingly booked at a Brazilian 'clinic'.

Shortly before the operation, Lovett was enjoying an all-night drinking session with Joe Ely and Townes Van Zandt when the the subject came up and Lovett blurted his misgivings. Over a couple of bottles of Old Branch, Ely and Van Zandt talked Lovett out of his precipitate endeavour, pointing out that he would have to re-key his entire set to fit the castrato range.

To cut a long story short, Lovett pulled out of the op, Lang saw red and the rest of the tour was blighted. Each night, Lang would deliberately sing her half of the closing duet half a tone flat, while sporting a t-shirt bearing the slogan 'Lyle Lovett is a Ly-ing Lover'.

Matters came to a head in Gaines, Montana when Lang punched Lovett in the side of the head during 'Silver Needles' and the tour was abandoned.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367149832' post='2061700']

The only impediment to the consummation of this unlikely partnership was Lang's (at the time unstated) status as a practitioner of the Sapphic arts. In discussion, both agreed that the only way forward was for Lovett to become a woman and an appointment was accordingly booked at a Brazilian 'clinic'.

[/quote]

!!! I am speechless...........you havn me on, Skank?? :blink:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367150737' post='2061713']
Now why would I do a thing like that? ;)
[/quote]
Thing is, that guy really falls hard for women, so I could imagine him going through with something like that!

An excellent story, though. You reeled me in there!

Edited by Stacker

I'm in a band where the singer and guitarist are married. The only time they ever have an argument is onstage during gigs. Their onstage spats are legendary. They've been together as a band for about 15 years. They have to be the exception that proves the rule.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1367152541' post='2061744']
Well I was believing your Nina and Frederick story but now I'm not sure.
[/quote]

All true, sadly.

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-frederik-van-pallandt-1437924.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-frederik-van-pallandt-1437924.html[/url]

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1367151750' post='2061730']
You reeled me in there!
[/quote]

You're a good sport, Stacker :) :)

I used to be in a band years ago, where the singer / guitarist's wife sat at the front gazing up adoringly at him during all our gigs. As she was sat in the middle at the front all the time with a dazed, soppy expression on her face, it was thought to be a great idea that she should be given something to do and so she was put in charge of my mixing desk.

You can imagine the rest of the band's dismay when we noticed that all she was interested in was the one particular fader. It was her husband's vocal mic. The others remained resolutely down.

That was a contributory factor to a number of us leaving that band. We couldn't talk to the singer / guitarist about it. He wasn't interested in hearing what we had to say as it involved the angel on his shoulder... A mate used a great word I hadn't heard before to sum him up. Crude but apt - [i]c***struck[/i]. Exactly.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1367063247' post='2060796']
Mrs. WoT & I are in quite a lot of bands together, and go on little tours pretty often. We treat them as a break away from the kids.

Unless there's something she hasn't told me yet, I don't see any break-ups on the horizon...
[/quote]
Yeah I was thinking of Mr & Mrs WoT when I saw this.
They are the perfect example of professionalism at work. They don't seem to ever bicker neither.