Why become a member? ×

bass equivilent to stairway to heaven

sbrag

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1366793156' post='2057303']
Sorry, original post possibly a little bit confrontational - What I should have said is I don't think anyone would notice if you played this as the bassline isn't particularly obvious.
[/quote]

Most people I hear playing it play the guitar riff but with single notes instead of chords.. I've never heard anyone but myself playing the actual bassline :lol:

Further to that last post, I'm big enough to say that I've tried out basses in shops using "Seven Nation Army" & "Sunshine Of Your Love" before. No shame in doing that. Though I normally switch between, "Blister In The Sun" by The Violent Femmes, "She's Lost Control" or "Transmission" by Joy Division, "Gigantic" by The Pixies or the outro "I Am The Resurrection".

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1366820642' post='2057674']
If I do play a bass in a shop I almost never play songs. I play every note up and down each string and see how it sounds, acoustically first and then, maybe, plugged in.

Try playing by the neck, playing by the bridge, etc. etc. but not songs usually. I'm checking out the bass not doing a gig.
[/quote]

thats what i do too, but mostly because i forget everything i ever learned the second i pick up a bass in a shop.

I normally play some scales and arpeggios, stuff that covers the whole fretboard. Though I do find myself playing songs too, usually Megadeth's Five Magics and Peace Sells, Slayer's Black Magic and Seasons in the Abyss and Metallica's Orion and For Whom the Bell Tolls. Old school, but stuff I am comfortable with, matches my style and I know how it's supposed to sound and feel.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366796779' post='2057384']
If you want to drive them mad in a music shop then Hell Aint A bad place to be by ACDC could probably do the job :lol:
[/quote]

PMSL :lol: You've really made me giggle with that!!

Can't believe nobody has mentioned "Love Cats" yet.... Or is that just me? :P

I usually do Love Cats, then Locked out of Heaven, then some scales when I try a bass!

Random slapping and popping is the equivalent of guitarists shredding like Eddie van halen so doesn't count (although eruption was banned in duck son and pinker in bath when I was a kid!). Looks like the chain is winning so far.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1366800602' post='2057451']
Most people I hear playing it play the guitar riff but with single notes instead of chords.. I've never heard anyone but myself playing the actual bassline :lol:
[/quote]

The right key let alone the actual bassline :o

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1366825186' post='2057785']
You can not play anything on the basses at PMT Leeds as they are not set up, people do visit to limbo under the strings
[/quote]

I remember playing a second-hand Musicman Stingray there that had ancient strings on, a dead battery, and was set up so that you could drive a bus under the strings. It was also priced higher than a new one anywhere else (but still cheaper than a new one in PMT!)