Why become a member? ×

I'm ignorant

The Hat

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366659784' post='2055703']
It's going on the list of things I refuse to believe, along with God and potato bread outside of Northern Ireland.
[/quote]

Oh man, you're sooo wrong!
I don't want to turn this into a religious thread, but I happen to live in the most conservative christian bible belt in Norway, and we have actual evidence of the existence of potato bread outside NI. Just before the weekend, I bought it from my local shop without any special ordering or praying or whatever.
So, with an octave down sounding good, and me buying potato bread, I'm sure logic commands there's a god as well.

best,
bert

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366659784' post='2055703']
It's going on the list of things I refuse to believe, along with God and potato bread outside of Northern Ireland.
[/quote]

Haha fair enough! To be honest I can't think of a single application where a LOW low E would actually be useful!

And what the hell is potato bread??

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1366661013' post='2055729']
Oh man, you're sooo wrong!
I don't want to turn this into a religious thread, but I happen to live in the most conservative christian bible belt in Norway, and we have actual evidence of the existence of potato bread outside NI. Just before the weekend, I bought it from my local shop without any special ordering or praying or whatever.
So, with an octave down sounding good, and me buying potato bread, I'm sure logic commands there's a god as well.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Haha!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1366661097' post='2055731']
Haha fair enough! To be honest I can't think of a single application where a LOW low E would actually be useful!

And what the hell is potato bread??
[/quote]

Potato bread is what makes the fry! I nearly went mad at a waitress when I ordered a fry in England and it had no potato bread, but then I just felt sorry for you all :D

Without bass there is no metal IMHO, I also don't subscribe to the just support the guitar school of metal bass. Personal I am constantly amazed at cliff Burtons style he locks in with the kick drum, supports the main guitar riff but also throws in mad runs.... Legend (ducking for cover from the cliff basher's now).

But seriously, how good is potato bread!!!

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1366664035' post='2055805']
And this shows my ignorance here, but when I do listen to metal, I don't here the bass line at all. Where as with any other music I can always pick it out.
[/quote]

That's actually very common in heavy metal mixes, and a bugbear of mine. The guitars and drums are often deemed much more important than the bass!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366661904' post='2055747']
Haha!

Potato bread is what makes the fry! I nearly went mad at a waitress when I ordered a fry in England and it had no potato bread, but then I just felt sorry for you all :D
[/quote]

There ya go Milty, career choice made ! You can become an itinerant missionary travelling the UK preaching about the goodness of potato bread and ranting against all religions :D
Shame theres no room in your heart for pasta, you could have become a Pastafarian minister like me ( I have been touched by his noodly goodness).

[url="http://www.venganza.org/"]http://www.venganza.org/[/url] in case anyone is wondering what the hell I'm wittering about.

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1366664532' post='2055815']
There ya go Milty, career choice made ! You can become an itinerant missionary travelling the UK preaching about the goodness of potato bread and ranting against all religions :D
Shame theres no room in your heart for pasta, you could have become a Pastafarian minister like me ( I have been touched by his noodly goodness).

[url="http://www.venganza.org/"]http://www.venganza.org/[/url] in case anyone is wondering what the hell I'm wittering about.
[/quote]

Lol, that could work. I could travel the world and write a book on where has the best potato bread... I fear I might already know the answer, but further investigation is required :D

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1366664035' post='2055805']
And this shows my ignorance here, but when I do listen to metal, I don't here the bass line at all. Where as with any other music I can always pick it out.
[/quote]
With thrash metal look for the high mids or high overtones that give m away. Detuners are often audible in growly subs. Kiss and Maiden type stuff is very midsy too... anything to get around those sloppy guitards realy :)

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1366667459' post='2055855']
With thrash metal look for the high mids or high overtones that give m away. Detuners are often audible in growly subs. Kiss and Maiden type stuff is very midsy too... anything to get around those sloppy guitards realy :)
[/quote]

Definitely! As a primarily thrash metal bass player, I use the lows to blend into the mix and thicken it all up, then I cut through with the high mids and treble! That added with a clean/dirty mix makes it almost as if the bass is fulfilling two roles at once!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1366669869' post='2055879']
I got a potato clock once , I was gutted , I was late for work , I should have been up at seven :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Somebody's been listening to Radio 3 :) (like me)

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1366694277' post='2055969']
God outside of Northern Ireland? Ridiculous!
[/quote]

God and potato bread outside of NI... They have to be together, like a multi-pack. Buy potato bread, get free Bible and portrait of the ceiling of the Sistine chapel.

I started playing thrash metal originally so it's now kind of the way I play, I'm the freak that is constantly playing with my volume by turning it down lol
Because I learned to play bass that way my style is heavy handed so to some thats a bad thing i suppose.

Anyway I'm off on one there. The thing that is now intrinsically built into my style because of my metal past is the melodic fills that I can do pretty fast which I am really happy with to dismiss metal, heavy rock or whatever as a crap style is a little too general for me.

Pop onto you tube and give Orion by Metallica a listen or even Evidence by Faith no more & tell me that these two tracks are not well put together. they are great tracks & fall into this category.