Why become a member? ×

I'm ignorant

The Hat

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1366744818' post='2056806']
Interesting, where can I find this spud loaf?
[/quote]

It's not a loaf, they're usually flat and square, but not from a loaf. And Northern Ireland... :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1366745125' post='2056811']
What's the best potato for bread?
[/quote]

What's the best kind of buttery biscuit for a base?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366747326' post='2056867']
It's not a loaf, they're usually flat and square, but not from a loaf. And Northern Ireland... :D
[/quote]
A bit like a tattie scone then?

Oh, & it's gotta be Abernethy biscuits for base.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366744657' post='2056804']
Well, it's this bread, only it's made with potatoes. You fry it, and it's lovely with an egg and some bacon.
[/quote]

This sounds like a hash-brown but I think I remember having this once with a huge Irish breakfast in Cork.

Edit: (Obviously wrong here as I've just read it's from N.I.)

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366752915' post='2057012']
A bit like a tattie scone then?
[/quote]

I read in recipe book once about "potato scones" and just thought "What a load of pretentious bollocks" :D It's the poor mans food. You get 8 slices for £1! Calling it a scone is a bit like calling dairy-lea a fine cheese.

I've never had Abernathy biscuits before. Are they buttery and biscuity and bassy? :D

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1366787415' post='2057196']
This sounds like a hash-brown but I think I remember having this once with a huge Irish breakfast in Cork.

Edit: (Obviously wrong here as I've just read it's from N.I.)
[/quote]

You may have done actually. I'll have a cogent explanation for this when I come up with one :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366788180' post='2057204']
I read in recipe book once about "potato scones" and just thought "What a load of pretentious bollocks" :D It's the poor mans food. You get 8 slices for £1! Calling it a scone is a bit like calling dairy-lea a fine cheese.

I've never had Abernathy biscuits before. Are they buttery and biscuity and bassy? :D
[/quote]

Tattie scone is one of those things you have to eat to know what it's like. It goes particularly well with Lorne sausage in a roll.

Abernethy biscuits are probably the tastiest buttery biscuits I've had. Perfect for bass.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1366790062' post='2057235']
Definately different to both a hash brown and a scone. Imagine a pancake about 6-8 inches across cut into triangles but made with potato and flour. Maybe a bit like a nan bread??? But only in appearance. I'm going to have to have a go at making it myself!
[/quote]

I think it's quite easy to make. I've made soda bread before. Most potato breads now are just square though. The ones your get from local bakeries are sometimes triangular. The one in Randalstown does a nice one.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1366790300' post='2057237']
Tattie scone is one of those things you have to eat to know what it's like. It goes particularly well with Lorne sausage in a roll.

Abernethy biscuits are probably the tastiest buttery biscuits I've had. Perfect for bass.
[/quote]

I must visit scotland and try some of these biscuits!

Did we ever find out what The Hat meant with the original post? I remember Milty and me asking and since then, the thread has covered potatoe bread, God, the first 119 Metallica albums and the Rammerstein's window cleaner

Lol.
I realise that virtually all genres need some kind of bass line, but I really don't get why someone would want to learn bass for metal. I cannot pick out the bass in any metal track I listen to. Yeah, I know it's there somewhere, but why would I want to learn a genre where it's almost unnoticeable ?
I'm totally biased I know as I love funk where the bass line is the main attraction.
Then again, how boring would it be if we all liked the same stuff, all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose eh.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1366878500' post='2058330']
Bass and metal to potatoe cakes, what the f*** !
I go off on a tangent every now and then but come on folks
[/quote]

You should probably get used to it, especially if you see a comment from the likes of me, Discreet or Bert.

(or nearly anybody else).

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1366734146' post='2056609']
As someone who plays guitar in a metal band that lost its bass player earlier in the year and, as such, has been doing a fair bit of playing with just two guitars, drums and vocals, it makes a BIG difference. Funnily enough, it's given us a much clearer idea of exactly how we want the bass to work within the band, part of which is for it to be a lot more prominent in our overall sound.
[/quote]

Since youre a bass player, why not reorchistrate your songs for one guitar and bass? Playing bass in the three piece is awesome fun, you get to fill out the rhythm line AS WELL AS playing the bassline.

[quote name='simes' timestamp='1366742820' post='2056764']
But what is the best bass for metal, that is the eternal quest..........
[/quote]

Easy answer - MINE.

But any way, back on topic - potato pancake, you make it with last nights leftover mash and some grated onion, eat it with egg, bacon and beans. The correct way to make it is plate sized and put the other stuff on top. Propper breakfast.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1366838903' post='2058044']
I realise that virtually all genres need some kind of bass line, but I really don't get why someone would want to learn bass for metal. I cannot pick out the bass in any metal track I listen to. Yeah, I know it's there somewhere, but why would I want to learn a genre where it's almost unnoticeable ?
I'm totally biased I know as I love funk where the bass line is the main attraction.
[/quote]

I can understand this. I love metal, and playing metal bass lines. But because it has to be played LOUD, and there's so much going on at once, people seem to have a hard time getting the mix right. The easiest way to get it sounding 'tight' is to just turn the bass down, it's lazy as hell and takes a lot of the 'heaviness' out of the song. Luckily, in my covers band, I have the largest rig by a bloody long shot so I ALWAYS make sure the bass is loud and proud. If I couldn't hear what I was playing, I would play like crap, and wouldn't enjoy the gig at all. In fact, I used to play for a really awesome death metal band where the guitarist was always moaning at me to turn down. Not because I was too loud, but because he just hated hearing the bass. I left after about three gigs!

Bottom line is, if you like metal and ever want to play some, just make sure you set up your sound for the mix, and be loud without muddying up the mix. You might just enjoy it :D

The bass is super clear in this one ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRK_M1vJXfQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRK_M1vJXfQ[/url]

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1366885828' post='2058470']

Since youre a bass player, why not reorchistrate your songs for one guitar and bass? Playing bass in the three piece is awesome fun, you get to fill out the rhythm line AS WELL AS playing the bassline.

[/quote]
It did occur to me as an option, but we've found a new guy now so it saves me having to relearn a bunch of stuff (no picnic when you're singing at the same time). But I think there'll be a bit more consideration of what the bass is up to now, and it's going to be more integral to the overall sound.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1366885828' post='2058470']
But any way, back on topic - potato pancake, you make it with last nights leftover mash and some grated onion, eat it with egg, bacon and beans. The correct way to make it is plate sized and put the other stuff on top. Propper breakfast.
[/quote]

Nope, that's not potato bread! :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1366888149' post='2058510']

The bass is super clear in this one ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRK_M1vJXfQ[/media]
[/quote]
I think the key thing with this is there's actually some sonic territory left free for the bass, frequency-wise, by the guitar sounds. The key is finding space in the mix for everything and, in a band context for everyone to concentrate of the overall sound, rather than just the sound of their respective instruments.

Seems to me though that there's lately been a bit of a shift back to actually being able to hear the bass as a distinct instrument in metal, which really wasn't the case for a fairly significant chunk of the 90s and 00s. Part of this is perhaps due to somewhat "retro-ey" tendencies in some bits of metal, but I suspect it's equally that people were getting bored with unrelenting walls of mid-scooped guitar.