Why become a member? ×

Punchy Tone?!?

gstirrat

Just came across this guy on YouTube. He's got one of the fattest punchy tones I've ever heard. Looks like he's got a pretty chuncky soapbar for the pickup. Does anybody have any idea what bass he's playing, or any guesses as to what the Pickup or Preamp must be?

Here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRSNQdWMM&list=UUnFlD8ZtEAbxRL95jRSuDVA&index=1

[quote name='gstirrat' timestamp='1366456448' post='2052804']
Just came across this guy on YouTube. He's got one of the fattest punchy tones I've ever heard. Looks like he's got a pretty chuncky soapbar for the pickup. Does anybody have any idea what bass he's playing, or any guesses as to what the Pickup or Preamp must be?

Here he is:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRSNQdWMM&list=UUnFlD8ZtEAbxRL95jRSuDVA&index=1[/media]
[/quote]

Tobias bass (probably a "Growler") - more than likely Bartolini soapbar and onboard pre.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='gstirrat' timestamp='1366458032' post='2052831']
Aye, It's ridiculously bendy! Maybe that's his secret. . .

Cheers for the quick response! Not too familiar with Tobias, but it's time for me to swat up on their basses!
[/quote]
Yes, looks like one of the Gibson era Growler models...variable in quality but the good ones are great. The market isn't flooded with them but they can be picked up for £6-800.

I played on in strung out guitars in Glasgow a couple of years ago....very nice!

Firstly that thumb needs looking at by a doctor, its not right at all, he's hyperextending it and will probably get really bad problems in later life. Apart from that, awesome playing and the sound is superb.

The growler had a MM pickup in basically so a Stingray should get very close to that, to be honest my old Stingray 5 sounded very similar to that.....god I miss it.

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1366481146' post='2053150']

On his thumb.. My partner has a similar gift... Hers is double jointed... Probably the same thing going on here..
[/quote]

This. My wife's thumbs are double-jointed.
Mine certainly aren't. Not sure that it confers any advantage that can't be achieved through a change of technique or practise for the rest of us folks...

My partner doesn't play bass. Lol... Maybe I cam persuade her to try..

Though thinking about I really don't think his thumb has any bearing on his playing...

It's all in the fingers and in this case heavy use of studio equipment.

But you can't knock a great tone.. Which is what it is.. :)..