Why become a member? ×

Best year of Fender Precision

lowlandtrees

£1500 for a '76 is ok depending on condition. With the recession in full swing remember it's a buyers market. I wouldn't worry too much about good years or years to avoid - typically people criticise late 70s Fenders but I have 2 really good examples. Just try before you buy & ask on here if you are not sure. If you want a museum piece be prepared to spend more (typically sold with pictures showing the original wiring & original hard case) where as a heavily gigged bass with replacement parts sees the price drop right down.

First, 70s Precisions:
They get a bit of a slating, but I`ve had two, a 77 and a 78, and both were great basses. Unfortunately, my back can`t deal with 10lb basses for 2hr gigs, so I had to sell them. But, as long as you do your homework on what bits should be present - see the link to the book below to swot up on this - and the bass plays well, £1500 for a `76 is ok. Not good, it`s a fair price, and not too expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fender-Bass-Illustrated-History/dp/0634026402/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1365239764&sr=8-12&keywords=fender+bass+guitar

The two best Precisions I`ve had were a 1998, and my current 2011. In the late 90s Fender were apparently taken over - again - so raised their game on their instruments. The `98 certainly attested to this. However the 2011 edges it for me as it`s lighter, and fits my hands that bit better. Very resonant too. I also had a 2008 that again was very good, so the 2008 Series get the thumbs up from me as the best series of Precisions that I`ve tried.

[size=4][quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1365239121' post='2036995']...in the late 70s, the ratio shifts a little towards dogs, especially with regards to weight.[/quote][quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1365240048' post='2037008']...Unfortunately, my back can`t deal with 10lb basses for 2hr gigs, so I had to sell them. [/quote][/size]
[size=4]Both valid comments, but I had a fantastic 76P that wasn't heavy at all, so 'try before you buy' is the important point here.[/size]

Edited by discreet

Shows it is a minefield - I had the long term loan of a '98, with option to buy for very little money, and it really didn't do anything for me at all. My early 90s Squier Silver Series blows it out of the water.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1365237330' post='2036973']
Hi
I am thinking about getting a Fender Precision. What is the most sought after years and are any years to avoid? What about 5 string PBs. Worth thinking about? Seen a 76 recently for £1500.....that a good price ?
[/quote]

Try LOADS of them. New and old. Try them in a shop first as obviously they'll have a selection and find what you like and don't like about certain models. They can be very different. Also, perhaps take someone with you who knows what to look for in terms of tone and build quality.

The mid '60s L Series are revered by Fender aficionados, but you'll pay a pretty price for one of those. The new Fenders are excellent, so you good always buy a new one and make it yours. I have a 2011 Deluxe Strat and it's superb in every way, but then so it my 1983 Jazz.

For me the best P basses were produced during the mid - late 60's. I have also owned some decent 70's models, however weight is an issue with many of those. The bottom line is that they are generally extremely inconsistent from any era.

Have you considered Lakland? The Bob Glaub P bass is probably the most consistent P bass I have encountered....it is modeled on a 60's P and, to me, just feels right in every department.

I did look at Lakland. I have a 78 Rick and a MM SUB but have always been a fan of Precisions but with several thousand out there I am at a loss. I suppose I have always had the (unjustified) rule of thumb that the older the wood, the better the sound. Will out in a bit more work into this

I've owned 6 or 7 Precisions but not of them were what I'd call vintage although I have played a few and in each case wondered what all the fuss was about. My current P is a 2012 model with the CS pups and it's the best I've ever had but if I was in the market for something a bit exotic, I'd probably buy a Pino after having a little noodle on Old Horse Murphy's - that was probably the nicest bass I've evr laid my hands on.

My 2005 CIJ P bass is the best I have played but I think the replacement pup is a big part of that. Over the years I used to borrow P basses or use in-house studio P basses when recording and the quality and weight etc varied drastically. I love the look of some old 60's ones but would def try before parting with a bucketload of cash. There is a '63 on ebay for just over £2k if expense no problem.

I have had numerous Precision Basses , and I can honestly say that the current American Standards are excellent instruments . I really wouldn't bother paying a premium for a Seventies Precision if what you are after is a well - made , good - sounding bass that plays well . Unless you have got a yearning for a vintage bass , I can really see no sonic , ergonomic or aesthetic advantage to getting an old Precision when these new ones are so good . The post -2008 Fenders sound like a good Precision should ( and the post 2012 ones have Custom Shop pickups in them ) , the hardware is very good so you won't need to change or upgrade anything , you get a great case with them , the weight is fine , the B width neck feels great - they tick every box . I know loads of Vintage bass fans will probably say otherwise , but I have owned numerous 1970's Fenders myself and as a working instrument I wouldn't swap any of them for a good current American Standard . For the prices used American Standards are going for on Basschat , you could buy one and have the best part of a grand left in your pocket over what the 76 you have seen will cost . I am shocked when I see the vastly inflated prices mid to late 70's Fenders are going for nowadays - that may be their market value and good luck to people who are selling them , but no way are these basses the kind of build quality or sound quality to make them worth that kind of money in the abstract . It's not that long ago basses like the one you mention were going for about £ 300 . Unless you want an antique ( in which case I would recommend saving up some more money and buying something proper vintage i.e pre - 1973 ) , you can do much better for that kind of money .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1365245856' post='2037128']
I did look at Lakland. I have a 78 Rick and a MM SUB but have always been a fan of Precisions but with several thousand out there I am at a loss. I suppose I have always had the (unjustified) rule of thumb that the older the wood, the better the sound. Will out in a bit more work into this
[/quote]

For the £1500 you have seen this 76 Fender for you could probably pick up a used excellent condition USA - made Lakland Precision , and that will be in a different dimension of quality to any 70's Fender .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1365260478' post='2037358']

For the £1500 you have seen this 76 Fender for you could probably pick up a used excellent condition USA - made Lakland Precision , and that will be in a different dimension of quality to any 70's Fender .
[/quote]
I knew it wouldn't be long before a comment like this came along.

Point of order though. Lakland don't make a "Precision". They make what they call a "P" bass, which is a shameless copy of a Fender. They should be brave and only make models of their own design. But they don't.

There is no substitute for a Fender Precision.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1365263851' post='2037410']
I knew it wouldn't be long before a comment like this came along.

Point of order though. Lakland don't make a "Precision". They make what they call a "P" bass, which is a shameless copy of a Fender. They should be brave and only make models of their own design. But they don't.

There is no substitute for a Fender Precision.
[/quote]

I take your point , but a great many manufacturers make a Fender style bass , and , on the whole , a lot of them make them a lot better than Fender . I love Fender basses , but there are plenty of basses in that style that either match Fender or outstrip them in terms of sound , construction and playability . In my experience the U.S.A Lakland basses are the equal of the very best Fender Custom Shop basses , and more consistant in terms of quality . Why wouldn't they be a substitute for any Fender Precision ? They are one of the nearest equivalents you can get in terms of sound and overall feel to a pre - CBS Fender , in my opinion . That is why I rate them so highly . But if you want something that says Fender on it then buy a Fender , by all means .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1365264799' post='2037417']But if you want something that says Fender on it then buy a Fender , by all means .
[/quote]

I don't think people only buy Fenders for the logo & comments like this could be seen to be just a little antagonistic. Just as one point Fenders hold their market value much better and having sold on really nice instruments by makes like Hofner & Epiphone they just don't get so much back. Granted there are other makes out there every bit as good as a nice Fender but if people want to buy a Fender, let them. There are plenty of wonderful nice basses in all shapes and sizes to suit all tastes

The Bob Glaub 'P' is an excellent bass in every way, as reflected by the price, and is as good as anything Fender make, if not better. A lot of pro bass players use them. It's often been said on here 'if you want a good Fender P, buy a Lakland'.

I don't think Dingus's comment is antagonistic. :) ...as has been said, there are lots of reasons people like Fender Ps! Some people [i]do[/i] just like having the 'F' word on their headstock and there's nothing wrong with that. If you [size=4]want a Fender P then so be it![/size]

[size=4]In fact, over the years I've become a little weary of this forum's anti-Fender brigade and their control-freakery. Having said that, the usual suspects haven't turned up yet - but I'm sure they will! ;) :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1365265735' post='2037430']
I don't think people only buy Fenders for the logo & comments like this could be seen to be just a little antagonistic. Just as one point Fenders hold their market value much better and having sold on really nice instruments by makes like Hofner & Epiphone they just don't get so much back. Granted there are other makes out there every bit as good as a nice Fender but if people want to buy a Fender, let them. There are plenty of wonderful nice basses in all shapes and sizes to suit all tastes
[/quote]

You are getting me all wrong on this , my friend . I am being ( or trying to be ) conciliatory , not antagonistic . All I mean is that if you specifically want a Fender bass then you should buy a Fender , because that is what will make you happy . Ultimately , the fellow should buy what he wants , not what I want . I am as interested in gear as the next man , but ultimately one decent Precision Bass will do the same job as another one , regardless of what the name on the headstock is . I have outlined the reasons why I would look at other options and why I think most mid -to -late 1970's Fenders are way overpriced for the instruments they are , and I would stick by that . I am genuinely sorry and more than a bit surprised if anyone would take offence at that , because it seems perfectly reasonable to me .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1365266652' post='2037448']
I don't think it's an antagonistic comment. :) The Bob Glaub 'P' is an excellent bass in every way, as reflected by the price, and is as good as anything Fender make, if not better. A lot of pro bass players use them. It's often been said on here 'if you want a good Fender P, buy a Lakland'.

But... as has been said, there are lots of reasons people like Fender Ps! Some people [i]do[/i] just like having the 'F' word on their headstock and there's nothing wrong with that. If you [size=4]want a Fender P then so be it! I'm not going to argue.[/size]

[size=4]In fact, over the years I've become a little weary of this forum's anti-Fender brigade and their control-freakery. Having said that, the usual suspects haven't turned up yet - but I'm sure they will! ;) :D[/size]
[/quote]

As I have already stated , I love Fender basses , and have done for a very long time . I have had [i]a lot[/i] of them over the years , so I know a little bit about what I am talking about . I actually have a Fender bass positioned in my bedroom so its' silhouette is the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning to try and inspire me to get out of bed . Admittedly , it doesn't always work , and sometimes Mrs Dingus' fat arse is in the way ( may have to edit that bit later ) , but neverthless my reverence for the Fender bass is not in doubt . Or indeed my reverence for Mrs Dingus' arse . ( In case she ever reads this ) .

Edited by Dingus

Your cash , mate. So try as many as you can and buy what you want. I too would expect to find a greater than average chance of a late 70s one being a dog but not all by any means.

For me - I have a 73. I love it to bits and I'd never part with it because I've had it since 78 - but if it were nicked or my house burned down I'd buy a used japanese Precision for 400 spots or so and two round the world flight tickets with the change fom the insurance money. I bought a vintage bass only once - because it gave me the opp. of a fast buck - but I'm not into the vintage price structure at all from a playing point of view. As an investment - maybe.

I`ve played a good few Precisions, in fact, I`ve probably over my years in Basschat owned between 15 & 20.

I agree with niceguyhomer that the Pino is a fantastic instrument. I played Clarkys one when he had it, and it was great, but they are darn expensive.

Another one which I forgot to mention earlier in my Precision-findings was the Road-worns. These are seriously great basses. I don`t go a bundle on the looks, but the sound & playability of these is also very good.

But we`re all different. What`s good for one is isn`t good for another, but to me the whole point of this thread is that the OP can get a wide-spread opinion, take a few recommendations, then play some of those recommended. So far no-one has mentioned the S1 Series, nor 80s Fenders.

Have to admit, every time I`ve played another brands Precision-alike, I`ve been left feeling that the instrument has been de-Fendered. As such I`d say if a Fender Precision is required, personally, I wouldn`t check out anything other than Fender, unless I couldn`t find a Fender that I liked. At this point, the aspects/features of the de-Fendering may be exactly what is being sought.

Edited by Lozz196

One big thing I am sure everyone wiould agree on is the huge variation in neck shapes and sizes and width at the nut that you find on Fender Precisions . Some people don't feel like they are playing a P Bass unlkess they have got a tree trunk of a neck their hand , whereas some folks' ' dream bass is a P Bass with a Jazz Bass size neck . Myself personally , I like something halfway in between and that's partly why I favour the current American Standards with the 1.625 nut width and relatively shallow neck profile . The first thing to do with any prospective Precision is to see how the neck shape of that actual bass suits you , because particulaly with the older ones , it seems like no two are the same . .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1365267128' post='2037455']
...I actually have a Fender bass positioned in my bedroom so its silhouette is the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning to try and inspire me to get out of bed. Admittedly, it doesn't always work, and sometimes Mrs Dingus' fat arse is in the way (may have to edit that bit later)...
[/quote]

Just thought I'd quote you in case you edited that bit later... :D
Are we all having an argument?? If so, it's too subtle for me to comprehend. :crazy:

Edited by discreet