Why become a member? ×

Badass bridge users

joe.staffs

Badass bridges are a direct replacement for Stock (bits of tin) Fender ones that have 5 screws. I think the newer USA ones have 3 screws. So you can get a stock 5 screw bridge and it will fit exactly where the badass used to be.

I like the Wilkinson bridge. It is a direct replacement for the BBOT but has brass saddles and is slightly heavier and looks good. Cheap as well at £12.25.

[url="http://www.buy-guitar-parts.com/index.php?/vmchk/wilkinson-bass-parts/wilkinson-bass-bridge-brass-saddles.html"]http://www.buy-guitar-parts.com/index.php?/vmchk/wilkinson-bass-parts/wilkinson-bass-bridge-brass-saddles.html[/url]

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1364923322' post='2032724']
Removing a Badass II and replacing it with the stock bridge has left 5 exposed screw holes behind the bridge on my '97 Jazz.
[/quote]

So someone drilled new holes for the Badass? That seems ... unclever, unless I'm missing something here.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1364923220' post='2032723']
I like the Wilkinson bridge. It is a direct replacement for the BBOT but has brass saddles and is slightly heavier and looks good. Cheap as well at £12.25.

[url="http://www.buy-guitar-parts.com/index.php?/vmchk/wilkinson-bass-parts/wilkinson-bass-bridge-brass-saddles.html"]http://www.buy-guita...ss-saddles.html[/url]
[/quote]

Agree, excellent bridge, more so for the money.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1364927768' post='2032856']

So someone drilled new holes for the Badass? That seems ... unclever, unless I'm missing something here.
[/quote]
If you move the whole bridge forward you can use more of its intonation adjustment I think? The first Stingrays suffer from this and the bridge was moved forward soon after to solve it, even Leo made mistakes!

I expect you have a good reason for wanting to change the Badass , but I would think twice . If the Badass is fitted correctly and still works properly ( they can be prone to rust knackering the mini adjustment screws ) then it is a great bridge , especially on a Fender - style bass .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364933275' post='2033010']
I expect you have a good reason for wanting to change the Badass , but I would think twice . If the Badass is fitted correctly and still works properly ( they can be prone to rust knackering the mini adjustment screws ) then it is a great bridge , especially on a Fender - style bass .
[/quote]
Very good advice!

[quote name='joe.staffs' timestamp='1364934148' post='2033035']
Admittedly I want to swap it out for aesthetic reasons. I really want an ashtray bridge cover.
[/quote]

That Badass bridge has got a vintage appeal and reto chic all of its' own . It was a revelutionary product when it emerged in the mid to late 1970's and is in effect a de -facto Fender bridge in all but name . Some of the Fender Custom Shop basses still use it as a premium piece of bass hardware , as do several other high end bass makers like Modulus . Flea uses a Badass on all his Modulus basses and Modulus still offer it as an extra cost option on that bass . The Badass looks good in its' own right , and it certainly improves the clarity and sustain of a Fender bass . If you have got a well - installed and functioning Badass on your bass I would strongly advise keeping it and enjoying it for the great bit of kit it is .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1364936017' post='2033075']

You'll kick yourself when you realise that it totally impedes your playing :)
[/quote]

How so? I'm primarily a finger player, never palm mute and play on or just behind the pick-up of my P bass. I've just put the bridge ashtray that came with the bass back on. I can't see how it's going to hinder my playing

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1364923220' post='2032723']

[url="http://www.buy-guitar-parts.com/index.php?/vmchk/wilkinson-bass-parts/wilkinson-bass-bridge-brass-saddles.html"]http://www.buy-guita...ss-saddles.html[/url]
[/quote]

+1

My Antoria Jazz has one of these replacing the original Fender-a-like BBOT item. As jezzaboy says you retain 90% of the look of the Fender part but with added robustness.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1365487029' post='2040123']
How so? I'm primarily a finger player, never palm mute and play on or just behind the pick-up of my P bass. I've just put the bridge ashtray that came with the bass back on. I can't see how it's going to hinder my playing
[/quote]

I'm just joking, to be honest it completely stops me doing what I want to do with my right hand, of course it may not be the same for everyone.

Personally, although it might not be broke, I'd always remove a BAII. One of the more useless things you can do to a Fender bass, IMHO...
Not only that, but even the slight extra robustness of, for example, the Wilkinson, or later Hi-Mass bridges, is irrelevant. No BBOT was ever too flimsy to do its job properly. On the three-hole USA basses of later years, I would say that the BAIII was a worthwhile upgrade, if only for the extra intonation travel. However, if it ain't, etc etc...