Why become a member? ×

UK music scene

chasblaisdell

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1364857914' post='2031987']
Worth it though, the view is quite spectacular.
[/quote]
sh*t scarey, actually. I've been over it twice on my bike and had no idea I could hold my breath for for so long.

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1364803192' post='2030917']
In the States there is a "juke joint" along the road every 30 miles where I come from , every town with a population over 1,000 has a couple bands . Jazz doesn't exist for the most part , only in the bigger cities.[/quote]

Wherever this place is, I want to live there. Totally up for it, apart from the brawling bit.

If you are going to be on the Continent you'll have to get networked in the large cities...but that is the same anywhere..
As for the U.K..plenty of gigs out there. It isn't easy ( at all ) to earn £30k from music alone... but you can gig thursday to sunday easily enough, should you want to. ( mondays to wednesday are the tougher finds )
Whether you can do that on a blues gig alone, I am not so sure, so to pick up the pick-up gigs, you'll have to have something else
about you.

I wouldn't call our ( down south ) gig scene great and plentiful, but I'd call it good.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1364985427' post='2033588']
My thoughts too. Where the hell are we talking about?
[/quote]

Why don't we all have a go at guessing? That way, at least we tried.

Assuming he wants to know how to replace the three-part head unit in a Ford Fiesta, [url="http://www.mp3car.com/newbie/100083-fitting-an-aftermarket-headunit-to-a-ford-fiesta.html"]this'll help him[/url].

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1364857914' post='2031987']
Worth it though, the view is quite spectacular.
[/quote]
I'd agree - I've driven over it, taken the train under it and sailed under it - but the view of the bridge from the water is absolutely amazing - it's a breathtaking piece of engineering,

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1364995179' post='2033775']
On a personal level I'm thanking any relevant deity that I'm not lumbered with a juke joint and ZZ Top.
[/quote]

Hear, hear... add Status Quo to that and see where the thread goes :lol:

Anymore takers..??

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1364997222' post='2033842']
Status Quo in a pub would be fun and appeals to my Anglocentric side.
[/quote]

They did a pub tour a few years ago; in pubs nominated by their fans IIRC. A mate of mine got his local included on it & said it was excellent - though I doubt any would have said it was otherwise.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1364995179' post='2033775']
Too many good gigs in London. I'm trying to wimp out of going to one tonight as it's too cold.

On a personal level I'm thanking any relevant deity that I'm not lumbered with a juke joint and ZZ Top.
[/quote] Juke joints generated alot of music in the 50's that inspired alot of Englishmen to play lousy blues in the 60's . Cranking out Waters and Wolf behind chicken wire with a .38 in your bass case and a roadie with a shotgun watching your équipment van is inspiring , put's an edge on it . A white guy from London would have the time of his life and probably never play better .

Edited by chasblaisdell

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1365017606' post='2034262']
Juke joints generated alot of music in the 50's that inspired alot of Englishmen to play lousy blues in the 60's . Cranking out Waters and Wolf behind chicken wire with a .38 in your bass case and a roadie with a shotgun watching your équipment van is inspiring , put's an edge on it . A white guy from London would have the time of his life and probably never play better .
[/quote]

I thought we were talking about now? I don't find violence or guns inspiring. I'm over the moon that the threat of getting a kicking at a gig has like at football been mostly left in the past. I've been in plenty of 'edgy' gigs and I can do without it. I also accept the inspirational qualities of the blues and classic rock but I don't have to like them much.
I'm not sure what your point is?

[quote name='chasblaisdell' timestamp='1365017606' post='2034262']
Juke joints generated alot of music in the 50's that inspired alot of Englishmen to play lousy blues in the 60's . a .38 in your bass case and a roadie with a shotgun watching your équipment van is inspiring , put's an edge on it . A white guy from London would have the time of his life and probably never play better .
[/quote]
I take your point, as you say, puts a bit of an edge on a performance! I have played blues gigs in Cumbria, which perhaps gives an insight to what you are talking about…!!

Threats of violence aside, ZZ cranked up in a juke joint sounds like a good night out to me…

I thought the OP was fairly simple... Used to live in the US where there was a vibrant covers-band scene. Now lives in Denmark where there's no scene. What's it like in the UK?

Well, as far as covers go I am told people are getting work every weekend. I try to avoid these pubs though.

In my folk band we're getting paying gigs as much as we want, even having to turn some down, there's loads of work!

In my original rock band we struggle to get an un-paid support slot