Why become a member? ×

Life long Trace Elliot user looking for change but what? please help!!!

big rob

Makes me wonder whether Trace will do a lightweight option?

Whilst I have no desire to own a lightweight amp, I do think that Trace Elliot need to look at making such a range. So many people have moved away to various amps, not because they didn't like the sound but becuase of that heavy iron and those ceramic magnets..

Maybe a compact MP11 / Superfly type thing?

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1363880909' post='2018855']
....i'm thinking of changing but would like some advice on alternatives....
[/quote]

I'd get over to BassDirect and have a look at some of the best gear available these days.

I would keep the Trace until you have bought the new rig and gigged it..
I missed the tone of my old Trace amp when I bought a Markbass LM11 because I was so used to the Trace tone.
I chose the LM11 after trying (and buying) various amps, because it sounded closest to my old tone, but comparing them side by side, I preferred the Trace.
However I persevered for the sake of my back and now I love the LM11 and don't miss the Trace (or the weight) at all.
I now use the old Trace head as a PA amp and it's ideal - not bad for an amp bought new in 1984.

If you love the sound of the Trace and don't mind the weight, don't change it.

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1363880909' post='2018855']
Dear All,
I have pretty much been a life long trace elliot user (apart from my first amp at 15 carlsbro thing). Currently running through a 2x10 with horn for practice and a 4 x10 for gigs. However i'm thinking of changing but would like some advice on alternatives.....TC RH450 etc.
I would like a good onboard compressor but thats about it in terms of minimum standard [/quote]

Same here. And the Carlsbro thing too! I've been lucky, in that I've been able to keep my TE gear (tried selling - no takers) whilst trying out other heads.

I also have a 90's TE 4x10. The best pre-amp/head that sounded like a good match with my basses, was Eden Traveler/World tour heads, but they are expensive. I took the plunge and bought a TC-AH250 recently (still needs modifying); and you probably need a bit more power, but reasonable power for some gigs..

As quite a few have said already - take a bass along to the Bassdirect UK store, and try some amps/cabs out?

:hi:

Edited by SimonEdward

I'm currently running Trace too and love it, but I'm in the same boat. I've tried quite a bit, and EBS are nice are the Hartke Hy-Drive cabs, but I'm swinging more towards Aguilar!

The Hartke rig I've tried (3500 head and two 1x12 Hy-Drives) was very nice (especially for the money) and there was a good clear cut sound that didn't bottom out on low Bs, however I've got a good friend who plays in a working heavy rock band, and a function band, and he's had nothing but trouble with his 1x15 / 4x10 / LH head setup, which is currently putting me off :(

As for Aguilar, Dave who runs it is a great guy and full of knowledge / always happy to help me out and give advice, and the gear sounds fantastic too!

As for compression, I'd probably stick to outboard just for that bit more control, but it's all down to personal preference.

I have a TC Classic 450. It's a great head but having never had a heavy head I've been hunting a TE AH400 for ages. Would trade depending on condition and am local to you. Even if you don't want to trade I'm happy if you want to come and have a try with the TC head if it helps you.

Edited by mrtcat

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately recommend keeping the old Trace heads ..... I too have made this journey , I was using Trace for around 20 yrs , AH200 series 6 (one of the best heads ever !!) AH 400 SMX ( probably the best head Trace made) & a newer AH500-12 , Sadly all of which I sold when I decided it was time for a change and bought a Markbass little mark 2 & 104Hf cab . I didn't really like the tone from the little mark I found it very 'sterile ' ??? If that's a word you can use to describe an amp , luckily enough I still had the AH400smx so went back to that until I took a notion to buy a small combo ! ....... All of which I wasn't happy with until now that is , I now use an Ashdown Labs MK500 head which I think is the best head I've ever owned , really simple ,easy to use , uncluttered front panel and with the right cab .... Loud ! I currently use the MK500 with the markbass 104hf cab which is ok but probably not the best cab for the head , I have a hankering to try the Barefaced cabs myself , they seem to tick all the boxes !
But do hang on to one of your Trace heads if you can until your happy :-)
For what it's worth I would give the MK500 the nod over the Trace heads ;-)

Cheers

Al

Hi there, used Trace since 1984 (AH400 original 150W@8ohm Hi pass + 250W@4ohm Low + 1812 (18 + 15 +12) cab) to AH500s + above etc etc... gone lightweight... bought an SVT Classic and Trace 1524 cab :)

Also have a EA iAmp800 I use with a GK Neo 112 if I'm playing in a telephone box and someone's on the phone... The cab is great and goes surprisingly loud and deep, the amp tone shaping is fantastic and it's completely silent and reasonably light (19lbs), loud enough but no match for a MkV AH500.