Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1364322038' post='2024891']
Paying gigs for original bands may be available in your area but they certainly are not available in mine. Around here if you want regular paying gigs then covers is the way to go.
[/quote]

We hardly stick to "our area" in the next few months we have gigs in Birmingham, Liverpool, London and Newcastle to name but a few. We're currently organising a tour of Holland and Germany for later in the year. IMO there's little point in doing originals if you're never going to venture away from your locality.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364335781' post='2025173']
We hardly stick to "our area" in the next few months we have gigs in Birmingham, Liverpool, London and Newcastle to name but a few. We're currently organising a tour of Holland and Germany for later in the year. IMO there's little point in doing originals if you're never going to venture away from your locality.
[/quote]
Been there, done that and have great memories. My current covers band , along with continuing to gig in " our area" have also gigged Rwanda and Uganda in recent years. Enjoy the tour.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364335781' post='2025173']

[/quote]

Oh man I remember the tours of holland ... Best fun ever some if the best and worst times ever ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363965819' post='2020276']
Gigs at the weekend for local bands was almost unheard of - the best most of us could hope for was a Friday night slot supporting experimental Jazz band Pinski Zoo at The Hearty Goodfellow and which was booked up months in advance.

[/quote]
Pinski Zoo are one of my favourite bands of all time. Jan and the boys still do the occasional gig and Karl Bingham is still a superb bass player.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1364485254' post='2027143']
Pinski Zoo are one of my favourite bands of all time. Jan and the boys still do the occasional gig and Carl Bingham is still a superb bass player.
[/quote]

IIRC I first saw them play and got a support gig for my band, in the days before Carl Bingham joined. They used some weird noise-making devices that seemed to be mostly inaudible, like the telephone handset with a handle attached that would be wound furiously to no noticeable sonic difference in between the sax solos! These days Jan's son Stefan handles some of the bass duties.

Billy Sheehan talking about writing original material, playing in a covers band and becoming a better bass player (first 3 minutes of the video) - very relevant to this thread:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yglAuOceEPo[/media]

As ever. Billy is bang on the money...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1364495933' post='2027350']
Billy Sheehan talking about writing original material, playing in a covers band and becoming a better bass player (first 3 minutes of the video) - very relevant to this thread:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yglAuOceEPo[/media]

As ever. Billy is bang on the money...
[/quote]
Spot on. All of it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364496777' post='2027368']
Except that bit. It was really the Galactic Union.
[/quote]

No the Union are the ones who don't believe in learning covers, the Confederates do, as he suggests.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1364327536' post='2024992']
and no, we don't slavishly copy an original note for note. What would be the point in that?
[/quote]

Sometimes I go to great lengths to know the bassline note for note, either because I like it as is or find a particular live version that I like, whats wrong with that?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1364496562' post='2027364']
He believes we were brought to this earth billions of years ago by the leader of The Galactic Confederacy, so I'd dispute you there.

;)
[/quote]
Well there is that of course... :(

To be fair, you could drive a bus thru any religious belief - doesn't stop plenty of good and otherwise intelligent people having faith...

Edited by peteb

[color=#323333][font=Arial][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I noticed he had a bass branded T shirt on, so I said, “wow I love bass, do you play?”[/i][/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#323333][font=Arial][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]He said, "Yes." I said, "What do you play?" He said, "A Fender" I said, "Me, too! a J or P?" He said, "a P." I said, "Me, too! a 4 or a 5" He said, "4." I said, "wow me too, maple or rosewood?" He said, "rosewood." I said, "Me, too! Pick or Fingerstyle?"[/i][/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#323333][font=Arial][size=3]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]He said, "Mainly Fingerstyle." I said, "Me, too! Active or passive?" He said, "Passive" I said, "Me, too!, Do you play covers or originals" He said, "covers." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.[/i][/font][/size][/font][/color]

we don't slavishly copy an original note for note. What would be the point in that?
[/quote]
Because you can learn a lot by learning exactly how a great song (or bassline) is put together!

Also, it can be great fun...

... we don't slavishly copy an original note for note. What would be the point in that?
[/quote]
1 It sounds great.
2 The audience like it.
3 You learn from practicing to get it exactly correct.
4 You enjoy the freedom to copy whenever and whatever you want without taking notice of anyone calling you a slave.
5 etc.

Play what you want, play what works for the song, don't be a slave to supposed originality.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364488148' post='2027213']
IIRC I first saw them play and got a support gig for my band, in the days before Carl Bingham joined. They used some weird noise-making devices that seemed to be mostly inaudible, like the telephone handset with a handle attached that would be wound furiously to no noticeable sonic difference in between the sax solos! These days Jan's son Stefan handles some of the bass duties.
[/quote]
Thanks for that it's interesting. I saw them a lot in the 80s and although influenced by Ornette Coleman's Prime Time they definitely had a sound of their own. I've seen them play in front of different audiences over the years and it was always interesting to see the sort of reaction they got.
I've seen the original line-up with Tim Nolan on bass then with Karl and Tim both on basses then Karl as the only bass player then as you say the one with Jan's son and Karl.
Karl plays in other bands around Nottingham too i believe. They must all like playing with Jan as most former members still turn out for him. Thanks for the info.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364499556' post='2027427']
1 It sounds great.
2 The audience will neither know nor care if you play it on a f******' kazoo.
4 You enjoy the freedom to copy whenever and whatever you want without taking notice of anyone calling you a slave.
5 etc.

Play what you want, play what works for the song, don't be a slave to supposed originality.
[/quote]

Had to fix this, sorry!

(I really am!)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364499556' post='2027427']
1 It sounds great.
2 The audience like it.
5 etc.

[/quote]

Actually, to be fair to you and the others that replied to this, I don't have a problem if anyone wants to copy the original exactly, I just get annoyed that some people think you have to do it that way for it to have any value, and I was (over) reacting to that.

It just seem seems that slavish copying of an 'original' is OK, writing your own original is OK, but anywhere between is somehow looked down upon.

My current band do Hey Joe in a Hendrixy style, Aint no love & Day tripper in a Whitesnake style, Icecream man in a Van Halen style (but a bit swingier).
The point being that these are all covers themselves. Did that stop these people doing versions of them. No, and the world is a richer place for it.

Oh yes, another reason play in a covers band is that I work full time and don't have time write material. And if I did have the time I still wouldn't have the talent!

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1364525026' post='2027787']
Actually, to be fair to you and the others that replied to this, I don't have a problem if anyone wants to copy the original exactly, I just get annoyed that some people think you have to do it that way for it to have any value, and I was (over) reacting to that.

It just seem seems that slavish copying of an 'original' is OK, writing your own original is OK, but anywhere between is somehow looked down upon.

My current band do Hey Joe in a Hendrixy style, Aint no love & Day tripper in a Whitesnake style, Icecream man in a Van Halen style (but a bit swingier).
The point being that these are all covers themselves. Did that stop these people doing versions of them. No, and the world is a richer place for it.

Oh yes, another reason play in a covers band is that I work full time and don't have time write material. And if I did have the time I still wouldn't have the talent!
[/quote]
We are in agreement.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1363778993' post='2017366']
Its a great hobby to have. Started in original material bands, after years of slog realised I was never gonna get the success I wanted. Stopped playing a while then asked to join a covers band. Tried it and loved it. Have no delusions over where it might lead but play to some amazing crowds, absolutely love it and even make a few quid to reinvest in new gear of course! Andy
[/quote]

This, perfectly stated.

[/quote]

These sorts of statements really disappoint me. Song writing is something you have to work just like playing the bass. I bet you were as crap as everyone else the very first time you picked up the bass guitar, but you've stuck at it and practiced until you were at least competent enough to join a band. Song writing is the same. You start off writing derivative rubbish but eventually you find your voice.

I can guarantee you that all your favourite song writers wrote some truly rubbish stuff when they first started out, and IMO no one has the consistency to produce classic song after classic song with no filler no matter how good they are.

[/quote]

I don't understand this statement either. Even if I don't play the original bass line to a cover I will spend as much time crafting a new line for that cover as I would for one of my other bands original songs. The amount of time I spend on playing, learning and crafting lines in both settings is the same.

If you're not slavishly adhering to the original how do you have the talent to come up with something different?

Writing is writing.

Edited by Marvin

I had never written a note until last Christmas when I saw the composition competition on here and it gave me the kick to have a go , then I had to learn DAW, audio interfaces and mixing , I still don't know much about any of it , but I have had 2 entries and got a vote on both , what a buzz that was, to see someone liked it, fantastic :D

But I am in a cover band because I fell in with a bunch of like minded guys and love playing the stuff we do, to the people we do , it is an easier route than original stuff , both in learning to play and getting a crowd , but we can slip on or two of our own in as and when the opportunity arises.