Why become a member? ×

Who are the real gunslinger virtuoso bassists?

xilddx

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363439797' post='2012721']
Totally agree with all of the above. For me Jeff Berlin was my main inspiration in my formative years back in the 80's...and he is still a master of the electric 4 string. Most overlook him because of his truculence and outspoken views - but he is a monster.

My favorite fretless player is Percy Jones, another totally overlooked (and British) monster player! Why all of the UK based bass guitar publications constantly ignore him is beyond me, he should be celebrated.
[/quote]

Jeff Berlin's playing with Bruford had real fire to it - he's a phenomenal player - and he is a great sideman , but his solo albums are a bit of a dissappointment to me . Percy Jones is great , too . The problem with so many brilliant bass players is that they fail to find a suitable environment to best showcase their skills . Both Jeff Berlin and Percy Jones have suffered because of this , in my opinion .

Got to agree with Dingus's comments about Jeff Berlin and Percy. Listen to Jeff's intro on '5 G' by Bruford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47aYmY0QLLc

I read somewhere Berlin was the one guy who introduced slapping as a technique but dropped it the moment everyone started to use it, never to slap a single note ever again.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363439874' post='2012725']
I suppose someone has to nominate him , and it might as well be me ...:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrI5lNvCnQ[/media]

Flea must be the most well known and most admired bass guitarist in the World today . I think he's a good player in many ways but not a great one and certainly not a virtuoso , but if Les Claypool is included then Flea should be too .
[/quote]

IMO, Claypool should not be included, he's not a virtuoso schooled player, neither is Flea.

No love for Nathan East? He's one of the best.

There's also Willie Weeks. I wouldn't describe him as a virtuoso, just a really great player.

Just been watching Zev Katz on Daryl's House. A new name to me but a perfect player.

Nate Watts, Reggie McBride, Michael Rhodes and Travis Carlton.... there's no end to the list....!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363443150' post='2012789']
IMO, Claypool should not be included, he's not a virtuoso schooled player, neither is Flea.
[/quote]

I would have to agree with you on both counts , but I think they might just scrape in some peoples estimation by virtue of their up-and-at-em attitude to playing .Similaly with Squarepusher , he plays a lot of notes and has ability , but a virtuoso ? Not in a million years . The thing that divides those players and those who have a higher level of ability is musical knowledge , and by that term " knowledge " I would include the taste and judgement to know what to do with what they know for the best effect . Great chops and great feel , in other words .

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363444324' post='2012816']
No love for Nathan East? He's one of the best.

There's also Willie Weeks. I wouldn't describe him as a virtuoso, just a really great player.

Just been watching Zev Katz on Daryl's House. A new name to me but a perfect player.

Nate Watts, Reggie McBride, Michael Rhodes and Travis Carlton.... there's no end to the list....!
[/quote]

Well here you've hit on a bit of a snag , Chris . What about players like the ones you mention - not neccesarilly flashy soloists or attention grabbers but fantastically tasteful and skilled players ? Their virtuosity lies in their subtlety , but I don't know how that fits with Nige's criteria .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363445721' post='2012837']
I would have to agree with you on both counts , but I think they might just scrape in some peoples estimation by virtue of their up-and-at-em attitude to playing .Similaly with Squarepusher , he plays a lot of notes and has ability , but a virtuoso ? Not in a million years . The thing that divides those players and those who have a higher level of ability is musical knowledge , and by that term " knowledge " I would include the taste and judgement to know what to do with what they know for the best effect . Great chops and great feel , in other words .
[/quote]

Totally right. But there are tone of unschooled gunslingers out there anyway. I'm looking for the virtuosos who still have the gunslinger attitude, players with real vitality.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363446916' post='2012854']
Is Tony Levin a gunslinger ? He's got the skill , confidence and true style in his understatement , so I would say he is , albeit in his own unique way :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i037HTohUhw[/media]
[/quote]

How in god's name did I forget Tony!! Total gunslinger virtuoso!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363443150' post='2012789']
[/quote]

I can see how claypool may not be considered a true virtuoso, perhaps his mastery of styles is not broad enough? But he certainly has attitude, goes beyond the idea that everything has to be perfect (perhaps too far beyond), and , for me at least generates some lightning. Totally agree about flea though, hes a good player who has come up with some great lines, but doesn't really stand out above the crowd in technique or originality in my view.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1363441953' post='2012766']
Got to agree with Dingus's comments about Jeff Berlin and Percy. Listen to Jeff's intro on '5 G' by Bruford.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47aYmY0QLLc[/media]

I read somewhere Berlin was the one guy who introduced slapping as a technique but dropped it the moment everyone started to use it, never to slap a single note ever again.
[/quote]
This is true. Jeff was also a phenomenal fretless player until he heard Jaco....and chucked that too because he did not want to sound like him.

Sharay Reed inspires me so much. Really GREAT player, incredible feel, groove and timing. Just wish there were more good quality videos of him showing off his skills. He's such a natural player, barely glances at his bass just feels the music.

Love the run around 2:07.....
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363447276' post='2012859']
And then there's the mighty Anthony Jackson :
[/quote]
wow, not from this world.

thanks for this thread and the great contibutions!

I'd add Oteil Burbridge:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFOYoluPF20[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OAy9Tl-pYU[/media]

For me:

Hadrien Feraud
Gary Wilis
Matt Garrison
Tom Jenkinson

In that order - these guys are about as good as it gets - I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Hadrien, I saw him with Chick Corea at Ronnie's a week ago and he was awesome - and he's getting better and better all the time - he's modest too, apparently he went tot the jam upstairs afterwards and sat in1, shook hands with everyone afterwards to show his appreciation etc - lovely guy and a great player... And he doesn't read music either - learns pretty much everything by ear.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1363455936' post='2012988']
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Hadrien, I saw him with Chick Corea at Ronnie's a week ago and he was awesome - and he's getting better and better all the time
[/quote]

Me too... Posted about that gig here - 0 replies.