Why become a member? ×

Who are the real gunslinger virtuoso bassists?

xilddx

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363721161' post='2016584']
I like and read both Shakespeare and Dickens - I would never think of them as 'virtuosos' but great storytellers. I've never heard of Chabon and Franzen - I looked them up on Wikipedia now.
[/quote]

Why would you I guess if you hadn't had read their books, the same applies here I think. Purely trying to put it into perspective.

By the way if you do like reading then definitely check out Michael Chabon and Jonathan Franzen!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363723555' post='2016643']
Why would you I guess if you hadn't had read their books, the same applies here I think. Purely trying to put it into perspective.

By the way if you do like reading then definitely check out Michael Chabon and Jonathan Franzen!
[/quote]
Just realised that there's a Franzen on our shelf and Ms ET has been telling me to read it for ages.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1363801220' post='2017906']
Has anyone mentioned Lee Sklar? Chops and a CV to die for.

Good early call on Tony Levin too, great technique on upright, Stick or electric bass and another CV that goes on forever.
[/quote]

Chops and CV are all very well, but it's FIRE that keeps us warm :)

Good call on Leland Sklar

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1363397903' post='2012396']
Dominic "Forest" Lapointe is my favourite bass player at the moment. He's primarily a metal player but I doubt there's anything he couldn't do! I nearly posted Beyond Creation's music video in here, until I remembered he did a playthrough video so you can really see and hear what he's doing... Oh and the good news is, you can hear his bass on the actual album too... A rare treat for metal!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrwWBFp91U0[/media]
[/quote]

Very good, he is really going for it! Some metal bands seem to use the 'technical bassist' as a gimmick. Give him a 6 string fretless, make it look as though he is really good and then bury him in the mix to complete the façade. But this guy has chops for days!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1363815174' post='2018215']
Very good, he is really going for it! Some metal bands seem to use the 'technical bassist' as a gimmick. Give him a 6 string fretless, make it look as though he is really good and then bury him in the mix to complete the façade. But this guy has chops for days!
[/quote]

I've been trying to learn it on a fretted 6 string for the past week and I'm only a slighty messy 40 seconds in :lol:

EDIT: OK, more than slightly...

Edited by chrismuzz

Surprised no-one has mentioned Abraham Laboriel. An inspiration and surely perfectly fits the 'gunslinger' description? Well known as a session bass player playing with many of the most respected musicians but goes nuts on his solos. Have a look at some of the others on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/CWhJKNzUYJU

One of my all time heroes.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw [b]Norman Watt-Roy [/b]with Wilko Johnson in Portsmouth at the beginning of March and a few times before with Wilko and The Blockheads. He [u]adds [/u]to whatevers going on with whoever he plays with his playing is solid and totally in it and he shines through by holding the groov. I was so impressed I bought his T shirt

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1363479393' post='2013305']
Well, Feraud, according to the Mr. Jeff Berlin, is, at the moment, the cleanest & fastest player around, to which I certainly agree:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jDF01V7DE[/media]

Enjoy. And go practice :)

L
[/quote]

I really don't understand this. Each to their own, but this just sounds like a bloke who is moving his fingers as fast as he can whilst hitting random notes. My idea of bass is all about locking in the rhythm and providing a feeling and groove. I prefer to let the 'Thin 6 Stringers' masturbate over their fretboards. Again, each to their own, but i see this kind of playing as sheer diva glitter.

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1364669741' post='2029550']
I really don't understand this. Each to their own, but this just sounds like a bloke who is moving his fingers as fast as he can whilst hitting random notes. My idea of bass is all about locking in the rhythm and providing a feeling and groove. I prefer to let the 'Thin 6 Stringers' masturbate over their fretboards. Again, each to their own, but i see this kind of playing as sheer diva glitter.
[/quote]

I'm not a huge fan of Feraud usually, but those aren't 'random' notes that he's playing, that's really just a man that knows his jazz, his skill is actually pretty mind-boggling. He's got 5 strings there as well, not 6.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Big Kev' timestamp='1364639943' post='2029086']
I saw [b]Norman Watt-Roy [/b]with Wilko Johnson in Portsmouth at the beginning of March and a few times before with Wilko and The Blockheads. He [u]adds [/u]to whatevers going on with whoever he plays with his playing is solid and totally in it and he shines through by holding the groov. I was so impressed I bought his T shirt
[/quote]Good call. The man plays with flair and passion whilst using great technique (also a thoroughly nice bloke). I hope when you say you his T Shirt you mean a T Shirt, because his actual one would've been.... well let's just say that his flair and passion are also displayed by heroic amounts of perspiration. Light coloured suits turned black in about 10 minutes :D

• 2 weeks later...

Virtuoso? Gunslinger? Bass player? Oxymoron?
I've listened to all the Woottens, Ferauds, and evryone else who can wiggle their fingers faster than a speeding bullet. What I personally am hearing is a lot of soul-less scalar playing. Dont get me wrong, these guys have more talent in their farts than I have ever had.
I saw Lee Sklar playing with JT and he played a solo to die for. The master of the whole note BURNED! Possibly not what you'd call a virtuoso, but got a standing ovation from the crowd for it!~
Jaco was not as fast as many are today, and his playing was very extroverted, but the soul and feeling in every single note was more than all the modern gunslingers put together. His bass SANG!
Ray Brown and Paul Chambers... once again, every single note had feeling and purpose. They didn't give a rats about being fast, or showing off, they played with soul and purpose.
Sorry, all these gunslinger guys leave me cold.
BTW: I went to a Freddy Washington clinic once.... great groover, but nothing much there impressed me.
I guess I'm just a hard to please, boring old curmudgeon.....

[quote name='MartyForrer' timestamp='1365651576' post='2042361']
Virtuoso? Gunslinger? Bass player? Oxymoron?
I've listened to all the Woottens, Ferauds, and evryone else who can wiggle their fingers faster than a speeding bullet. What I personally am hearing is a lot of soul-less scalar playing. Dont get me wrong, these guys have more talent in their farts than I have ever had.
I saw Lee Sklar playing with JT and he played a solo to die for. The master of the whole note BURNED! Possibly not what you'd call a virtuoso, but got a standing ovation from the crowd for it!~
Jaco was not as fast as many are today, and his playing was very extroverted, but the soul and feeling in every single note was more than all the modern gunslingers put together. His bass SANG!
Ray Brown and Paul Chambers... once again, every single note had feeling and purpose. They didn't give a rats about being fast, or showing off, they played with soul and purpose.
Sorry, all these gunslinger guys leave me cold.
BTW: I went to a Freddy Washington clinic once.... great groover, but nothing much there impressed me.
I guess I'm just a hard to please, boring old curmudgeon.....
[/quote]

Read my OP to see what I mean by gunslingers. I completely agree with you.