Why become a member? ×

Tough Choice.

throwoff

So I have had a quote for my dream bass. It is expensive but not actually as much as I thought it would be.

The problem is I would need to sell all my current herd (MM, Corvette, tanglewood acoustic) to finance the new bass.

Now I would ideally sell them soon and pick up a VM squier to use for the 10 months ish build time.

Has anyone gone from a clan to 1?

I went from 4 basses down to 1 last year, and it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. In fact, I've found I've spent much less time worrying about whether I prefer the tone of my P over my J, or the 5 string over the 4 string etc etc, and so much more time actually playing the bass! haha :P

As long as you are happy with the one bass you do keep then I would actually say it's good to do some thinning out. It has definitely cured all of my GAS problems (1 bass, 1 amp, 2 cabs, all you really need tbh isn't it?).

Edited by jackers

If you are playing with a band or doing live work of any kind it really is best to have two basses - sods law being what it is , if you don't have a backup bass then something will go wrong with your one and only . I [i]played[/i] one bass pretty much exclusively for years ( purely out of choice ) and it wasn't a big problem to get a suitable sound for any musical situation that cropped up . It was an active Jazz Bass and I never had any complaints about the sound in any circumstances , although I did get a bit bored and fancied a change myself sometimes just for the novelty value . On the plus side , you really do get used to that one particular bass and playing it gets to be second nature , whereas I find switching from one bass to another takes quite a long period af adjustment for it to feel natural with the new bass .

Edited by Dingus

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually the other way round. I would love to keep acquiring instruments as time goes on. I hope to have a wall full of them by the time I'm 50 lol.

My dad asked if I thought about selling my first bass the other day, and I nearly slapped him in the mouth! My basses mark different points in my life, so their sentimental value is just too great, and I always read posts from veteran Basschatters that are always like "Oh, I had that bass about ten years ago and sold it. I'd love to get my hands on another one day".

Edited by ChickenKiev

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1363354948' post='2011689']
[/quote]

No chance, I love the variety too much. I think I have 9 just now with one perpetually under construction because I'm lazy. I do feel like that's a ceiling figure though, dictated by storage space. A 6 in line rack, one in a gigbag, one on a single stand and one at work. No room for any more ;)

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1363354948' post='2011689']
[/quote]

Not yet, at any rate. I might or I might not, depending on finance and desire, and I don't care one bit if I end up with one bass or fifty basses, as long as I follow my path where it leads me.

best,
bert

Depends on who is building it, of course

But you stand a chance of it wiping the floor with your current quiver so you'll need to get rid of them anyway.

Get this one in and accustomed to and you'll be on the lookout for another of the same ilk.

I just sold 2 (fretless jazz and yamaha bb 5) - to buy 1 (Warwick Thumb) - but still have 4 others, plus an EUB, an electro acoustic and a Ashbury. I am not sure I could live with just one. I need a 4, a 5, a fretless and an acoustic - at least. Plus I could never sell my EB MM - and I need a Fender Jazz.. so what to do...