Why become a member? ×

How is this guy getting this sound?

molan

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1363375427' post='2012143']

Agreed. These people are not at the top of the musical food chain by accident!
[/quote]

It's been said elsewhere here but the whole 'Live at Daryl's House' series is great. Well worth checking out a few of the shows - production values and performances are universally excellent!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363374726' post='2012134']
BTW, the vid in the OP is fabulous! And that's one of the coolest bassists I've ever seen.
[/quote]
+1 only just seen this, what a great clip and some really fantastic musicianship all round, not just the dude on bass

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1363464945' post='2013147']
Do they all play the same old Hall & Oates tune each week or is there some other songs sometimes?
[/quote]

All,sorts of stuff.

Usually a mix of H&O, originals from whoever the guest artist is and some random covers of other songs.

[quote name='WarwickPaul' timestamp='1363302961' post='2011447']
Ridiculously shed-hot bassist!
Also that drummer is a bassists dream, metronomic or what?! What a pleasure to watch!
[/quote]

Whilst I, too, dig the bassist, +1 to your comment on the drummer: he was the one that [i]really[/i] lit me up!

Superb. H&O wrote and played some seriously good music. I saw them live in the 80s and they blew me away. T Bone Wolk was just one of the best, GE Smith insanely brilliant on guitar.

As a slight aside, this is a pretty damned good cover of Sara Smile by Richie Kotzen
[url="http://youtu.be/xk5H95iw-5g"]http://youtu.be/xk5H95iw-5g[/url]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1363513941' post='2013425']
Superb. H&O wrote and played some seriously good music. I saw them live in the 80s and they blew me away. T Bone Wolk was just one of the best, GE Smith insanely brilliant on guitar.

[/quote]

I've seen H&O several times live, DH solo as well, and they were always seriously good. Exceptional live band and often much better than the, somewhat 'over-produced' studio sound they had.

DH is phenomenal live singer and the harmonies were always absolutely spot on. T-Bone and GE were always a real highlight as well :)

Like the Sarah cover too - only listening on iPad at the moment but will definitely give it another listen with decent speakers when I get home :)

Edited by molan

Yes, their live stuff was awesome. great example - their cover of 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling'. The studio version was a bit weak but live the highs and lows are tingly. As you say - the harmonies are spot on.

[url="http://youtu.be/Fzh1IMhdMOo"]http://youtu.be/Fzh1IMhdMOo[/url]

I got my old party/pub band to do a version along these lines and it always went down a storm. It seems everyone know the words to it and sings along - but the big surprise is when it rocks up.

Smith, man, what a player, eh?
[/quote]

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1363530163' post='2013673']
Can you get that kind of sound with a Barefaced cab ?
[/quote]

I don't see any reason why you could not get it with pretty much any cab assuming that the rest of the gear is chosen/setup appropriately.

As a slight aside, this is a pretty damned good cover of Sara Smile by Richie Kotzen
[url="http://youtu.be/xk5H95iw-5g"]http://youtu.be/xk5H95iw-5g[/url]
[/quote]
Now if you are talking about people who are seriously talented, Richie Kotzen is at the top of the list!

Awesome musician...

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363374687' post='2012132']
I do wish people would actually try digital modelling before they slag it off.
[/quote]

For guitar it wouldn't even cross my mind to use a "real" amp as the state of the art for modelling is so good. For bass the one issue that modelling amps still have is the processing delay which while less than 10ms I find quite off putting, doesn't bother me on guitar though. I imagine however that you instinctively compensate one you get used to it.

But yes tonally I'm willing to bet that almost noone can tell the difference in a blind test.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1363540724' post='2013831']
I don't see any reason why you could not get it with pretty much any cab assuming that the rest of the gear is chosen/setup appropriately.
[/quote]

Yes, Barefaced cabs put out what goes into them with very little - if any - colouration of sound. So if the rest of the gear can generate it, safe as houses with a BF cab.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1363541854' post='2013852']

For guitar it wouldn't even cross my mind to use a "real" amp as the state of the art for modelling is so good. For bass the one issue that modelling amps still have is the processing delay which while less than 10ms I find quite off putting, doesn't bother me on guitar though. I imagine however that you instinctively compensate one you get used to it.

But yes tonally I'm willing to bet that almost noone can tell the difference in a blind test.
[/quote]

There's a guitarist near me that uses a digital modelling pre-amp which was seriously expensive. Every time I hear it I know almost immediately that it's modelled and not the 'real thing'. Always sounds over-processed and lacking in the natural warmth and zing of a good valve guitar amp.

Maybe it's just the way he's programmed it though :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1363543680' post='2013896']
There's a guitarist near me that uses a digital modelling pre-amp which was seriously expensive. Every time I hear it I know almost immediately that it's modelled and not the 'real thing'. Always sounds over-processed and lacking in the natural warmth and zing of a good valve guitar amp.

[/quote]
Almost certainly.

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

Yeah its quite common for people to use too much and/or inappropriate effects/eq/gain etc with modelling amps simply because there is so much on tap. This is also exactly what the presets encourage people to do. Also I think that people don't understand that while yes the sound is theoretically the same at all volumes, a killer bedroom sound wont cut it in a live mix.

Edited by bassman7755

[/quote]
[color=#222222]The best guitar player that I know is also a pro sound engineer, runs a company that does sound for big events and the occasional tour as well as installations for airports, clubs, hotels, etc.[/color]
[color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222]He uses state of the art digital amps for a variety of applications but when I asked him whether he would use one as a guitar amp he said that while they can sound good in a bedroom, they are ‘unconvincing’ in a live situation…[/color]
[color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222]Some people here may strongly disagree, but he is as near an expert in this field that I know![/color]