Why become a member? ×

How is this guy getting this sound?

molan

I really like this version of the Daryl Hall sound and I really like the tone Klyde Jones has:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXxdObGKuI[/media]

Looks like a relatively straightforward Fender 5 string and an Ampeg cab, can't quite work out what amp he's using, maybe also an Ampeg?

I just wondered if there's anything else obvious in the signal chain that's giving the rounded punchy tone he's getting?

My advice would be to buy yourself a jazz.......if you didn't already have a couple of very nice ones. Sounds like he has the tone down about halfway and has the low mids up a touch. It's the same sound I try to achieve and that's how I do it with my jazz. My secret is also a boss GEB-7 graphic which is flat except for a boost on the low mids.

This clip was posted on here recently and I looked on the interweb to see what the bass player (Klyde Jones) was using. I found a sound engineer forum where a guy posted saying that he had worked on the show and had DI'd the bass using a Tonebone DI pedal.

If I remember correctly, Jones is using a GK MB & 410 for backline.

Edited by peteb

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1363266720' post='2010681']
Is that one of the fender tb series amps?

Though the tone sounds just like a jazz played well. Plenty of lower mid.
[/quote]

Reckon you could be right there - it seems to have that Fender warm sound/thump. Great tones, and he looks cooler than Mr Cool.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1363282985' post='2011048']
....I found a sound engineer forum where a guy posted saying that he had worked on the show and had DI'd the bass using a Tonebone DI pedal....[/quote]

Obviously they are all playing live, but what you are hearing is far from live.

What we're seeing is Daryl Hall's home recording studio. The control room for post production is in the next room.

Edited by chris_b

Guest bassman7755

Dont think theres anything particularly exotic going on - pickup mix 80% neck, roll of the high eq sharply into a touch of overdrive.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1363302362' post='2011439']
Doods' right, the bass amp is a Line 6.

Look 42 secs in.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjQolxpcpw&list=PLB024424395935CF7&index=8[/media]
[/quote]

Ey! Thank you! That's why I write for a hooj guitar mag lol. Dood knows his sh*t :)

My band share a rehearsal room and I use the other bassists line6 LD300 combo and I have to say it's basic sounds are pretty good and it's loud too. People make fun of them but if Klyde Jones is using one they can't be that bad.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363312688' post='2011542']
I my band share a rehearsal room and I use the other bassists line6 LD300 combo and I have to say it's basic sounds are pretty good and it's loud too. People make fun of them but if Klyde Jones is using one they can't be that bad.
[/quote]

IMost of the people who rag on Line 6 are either anti-digital elitists, or have only heard the little guitar combos from 10 years back or more. Those things really were shocking!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1363312998' post='2011544']
IMost of the people who rag on Line 6 are either anti-digital elitists, or have only heard the little guitar combos from 10 years back or more. Those things really were shocking!
[/quote]
I do wish people would actually try digital modelling before they slag it off. The trouble people go to with trying to find the 'right rig', the problems they seem to have getting a good tone, throw, portability, yaddayadda, and when they find it they only have a few sounds at their disposal. When they could have a world of tone and versatility at their fingertips in a little bag :)