Why become a member? ×

What is best combo under £1000 ?

markfreemantle

For smaller club gigs i have for over 15 years been using a SWR 350 super redhead, in that time i have tried
a few just to see what they were like, tried the Eden metro, but it could not get to the volume of the red head
with out farting, i took it back after 1 gig, i did spend time at a practice with it trying but was disappointed with it.
I also tried the markbass cmd102p that was about the same,
so back to the swr, it might just be my playing style but the eden and the markbass did not work for me.
i have for bigger gigs an extension cab for the red head with two eminence 10 KAPPA 400w each which
take alot of shifting, and an swr500 and swr 6x10 cab for the outdoor gigs.
i think even today the red head takes some beating for its size, and the sound of it i love.
if you are looking for an swr used then go for the early Super redhead 350, i have not tried the later 400 one
some info here....
http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=4420100010

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1363209620' post='2009963']
For smaller club gigs i have for over 15 years been using a SWR 350 super redhead, in that time i have tried
a few just to see what they were like, tried the Eden metro, but it could not get to the volume of the red head
with out farting, i took it back after 1 gig, i did spend time at a practice with it trying but was disappointed with it.
so back to the swr, it might just be my playing style but the eden and the markbass did not work for me.
i have for bigger gigs an extension cab for the red head with two eminence 10 KAPPA 400w each which
i think even today the red head takes some beating for its size, and the sound of it i love.
if you are looking for an swr used then go for the early Super redhead 350, i have not tried the later 400 one
some info here....
[url="http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=4420100010"]http://www.swramps.c...rtno=4420100010[/url]
[/quote]

Super Redhead is a lovely combo & was nearly getting one.
Surprised to hear that the MB never had the volume for you as I found the MB quite a bit louder than every other 2x10 combo I tried (& I like quite a bass heavy sound).

My 2p for Tony, take all the recommendations on here & try them all out. Find what suits you the best.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1363209620' post='2009963']
some info here....
[url="http://www.swramps.com/en-GB/products/search.php/?partno=4420100010"]http://www.swramps.c...rtno=4420100010[/url]
[/quote]

+1 on this . The SWR Redhead is a fantastic sounding combo . Well worth seeking out .

Trace Elliot is another brand worth looking at new or some of the masses of used gear available . It might not be as fashionable as it once was but it's still great sounding equipment - very loud and very clear . I still use T.E amps because I still haven't found anything I like better .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363206829' post='2009905']
I like your style Dr Dave
[/quote]

My comments were less about style and more about my 34 years of being paid to entertain folk. Music is (I hope) important to us all. Gear is a tool to help us make music. We should remember that and not become gear collectors.

Most of us here will be craftsmen rather than artists - a good craftsman uses the simplest , most efficient and most reliable tool he can find that does the job he needs it to do.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363283558' post='2011058']
Most of us here will be craftsmen rather than artists - a good craftsman uses the simplest , most efficient and most reliable tool he can find that does the job he needs it to do.
[/quote]

Hence my love for Fender Precisions.

This!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/200960-tc-electronic-staccato-450-and-rs210c-l800/

:)

Seriously though there are too many decent combos around - I reckon you should get yourself to your local bass warehouse and spend all day just having a play (with your bass... I'm not advising some kind of public nuisance sex act in a guitar shop) until you find the brand/combo for you. It's all hugely subjective!
Unless of course you buy an amp like mine which is incredibly versatile ;)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363280899' post='2011005']
+1 on this . The SWR Redhead is a fantastic sounding combo . Well worth seeking out .

Trace Elliot is another brand worth looking at new or some of the masses of used gear available . It might not be as fashionable as it once was but it's still great sounding equipment - very loud and very clear .
[/quote]

I agree - fantastic amps - but the weight...

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363087156' post='2008080']
Get something like a reliable , mid price job ( I use the GK MB series) that doesn;t break your back and transports easily - and have a holiday or some other life experience. with the rest of the grand.

It's just a black box with knobs on whatever you get - sound is such a subjective thing anyway and the williams wouldn't know the difference between a hi fi sound that cost you a fortune and a kick in the nads.
[/quote]
[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363283558' post='2011058']
My comments were less about style and more about my 34 years of being paid to entertain folk. Music is (I hope) important to us all. Gear is a tool to help us make music. We should remember that and not become gear collectors.

[/quote]

^This.

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1363103235' post='2008531']
I have an Ampeg BA-115, and it's never let me down. Though it does weigh as much as an Austin Maxi.
[/quote]

And a good job too. Last thing you want is your gear flying off stage. I'm very wary of this lightweight stuff. I want something that weighs as much as I do, I don't blow away when a drafty door is left open and I don't want my gear to either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Markbass CMD 102P and Mini121P. They are both excellent combos and hard to choose between hence I acquired both!! I use them with Markbass extension cabs on bigger gigs. I have tried these against a number of combos and IMHO nothing else came close. I lliked sound of the old GK Combos, but they weighed a ton.

On balance I very marginally prefer CMD 102P as it has tiltback and to my ears the 2x10 is a tad more punchy. Having said that the Mini 121p is smaller & even lighter and can be tilted back with a Markstand.

Let your ears (& back muscles) be the best judge. PS PHIL JONES BASS stuff is also well worth a listen.