Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jens Ritter basses...

Grand Wazoo

This photo was taken by The Greek at the LBGS last weekend. Take a look at the Ritter in the top row, hanging second from the left. In the flesh, this looks even more radical - it's noticeably more red for one thing.

When I was down at Phil's place last year, he persuaded me to at least try it ... much against my better judgment I might add.

What a delight! What an absolute delight! As a player, it was simply superb. It felt just right (even though I'm a P-bass man), it sounded just right (even though I'm a P-bass man), it was dead easy to play (even though etc. etc.).

I didn't buy it because I play in pub bands, and I simply couldn't imagine myself walking on stage at The Dog & Duck carrying it.

Apart from that though ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362669671' post='2003104']

What a delight! What an absolute delight! As a player, it was simply superb. It felt just right (even though I'm a P-bass man), it sounded just right (even though I'm a P-bass man), it was dead easy to play (even though etc. etc.).

[/quote]

Kinda sums them up for me really!

I could say exactly the same thing but just substitute P for J :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362669671' post='2003104']
This photo was taken by The Greek at the LBGS last weekend. Take a look at the Ritter in the top row...[/quote]

The Ritters somehow contrive to make the Foderas next to them look conservative and cheap! :o :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1362668986' post='2003088']
If money was no object would I have one?? Absolutely.

Would I ever take it out?? Unlikely.

Pub Gig? Never - it'd be like taking Audrey Hepburn (dressed to the nines) into your local Public Bar...

Must say these at the LBGS were sex for your eyes..

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/LBGS2013015_zps4a7634a0.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Top left and bottom right (0f the Ritters) do it for me - but then it's possible that I'm biased . . .

Edited by molan

The aesthetics are the best. I am a miserable old Fender bloke. There are very few newer shapes that work for me but the Ritter stuff is just so beautifully designed that it hits the spot. His finishes are always spot on. He is pushing in directions which no one else seems to.be doing. I owned one for a bit and it was an exceedingly fine axe and would have several more if money was no object. The Monroe bass with F holes and a really nice piezo system would be lush beyond. If it existed.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1362756037' post='2004348']
They are such beautiful basses that you need to ask yourself "....are they pieces of art"....or pieces of entertainment"[/quote]

Only an entertainer would ask such a question. An artist would just [i]know[/i].

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362783374' post='2004914']
Played three of these today - fantastic necks on all of them, so easy to play :)
[/quote]

I'd be really interested to play one, they aren't my kind of thing at all but I have a bad habit of resting on my Fender laurels and maybe I should get out a bit more! Played an Elrick for example a few months back, not my thing at all - or so I thought - picked the thing up and man it sounded unreal. Like a Warwick somehow but just better. It's the look of them I personally can't get on with but everyone is different I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want to bother with one of these things. Unless you are a millionaire of course and dont give a fornication if it gets chipped or not. Other wise buy a bass that you can really enjoy playing without financial terror if it gets a ding. Pointless bass in my opinion. An exercise in craftsmanship - yes of course, but you can buy far better basses for much less. IMHO

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1363478500' post='2013299']
Why would you want to bother with one of these things. Unless you are a millionaire of course and dont give a fornication if it gets chipped or not. Other wise buy a bass that you can really enjoy playing without financial terror if it gets a ding. Pointless bass in my opinion. An exercise in craftsmanship - yes of course, but you can buy far better basses for much less. IMHO
[/quote]

Maybe because they are absolutely the most exceptional basses to play and they sound amazing?

Really inspiring because they make you want to pick them up and play them at every opportunity. I can play stuff on mine that I simply can't get close to on any other bass. The neck profile on my favourite of the two is better, IMHO, than anything I've ever played.

I'm a long, long way from being a millionaire and I have two. They are for playing and not hanging on the wall. I drag mine out to rehearsals all the time and regularly lend them to people to try.

Certainly more than happy to recommend them to anyone!

i remember one went on here a few years ago for about £900.00. Should've pulled the trigger on that.

Not sure why the money thing is an issue for gigging, I know bassists who gig their vintage basses (worth £K's) and guitarists who gig their top end LP's (worth £K's).

Jen's makes his basses to be played.

If I were given one, I'd get rid of it, pronto. Horrible, ugly things. I don't care how they might sound or play, I could not look at it. Come to that, I'd have trouble being in the same room. Don't get me wrong, i'm not being negative for the sake of it. They just repel me. As do a good many other 'furniture' basses, it must be said. But, if pushed, I'd have to say that there's nowhere even faintly approaching £5000 of difference between any Ritter and a Mexican P-bass. There just isn't, period. And I know which I'd have, even if I had millions.

And, to reiterate, I'm not jusrt talking Ritter here, but a myriad other so-called 'high-end' basses. They simply aren't. they are, in the main, just high-priced.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1362757225' post='2004373']
Ritter undeniably produce some of the nicest looking basses available. The finishes/colour schemes are what set them apart from the crowd. Although I do not believe any instruments justify those kind of price tags.
[/quote]

Only to those who find this kind of thing 'nice looking'. Otherwise, the reverse is true. My personal view is that nothing built since 1957 is particularly good looking next to a P-bass. There's just no apparent form-follows-function, no matter the design intent. They just do not work for my eye. If you like 'em, etc etc, great, but don't go saying how BAD Fenders are because of it. Most of these won't be around in fifty years, and Fender will have knocked up its centenary. THAT'S class. Staying power due to pure excellence of original design. No other basses have this, and it's likely that few of us will live to see that change. Big claim? Sure. But probably valid.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363551677' post='2014070']If I were given one, I'd get rid of it, pronto. Horrible, ugly things. I don't care how they might sound or play, I could not look at it... ...there's nowhere even faintly approaching £5000 of difference between any Ritter and a Mexican P-bass... ...I know which I'd have, even if I had millions.[/quote][size=4][quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363552714' post='2014084'][/size]...nothing built since 1957 is particularly good looking next to a P-bass... ...Big claim? Sure. But probably valid.[/quote]

I'm a bit torn, tbh. I totally agree with the above statements, and yet... I often find myself looking at Ritter's web site... luckily I can't afford one! I'd really like to play one though, just to see what they're like - apparently they're real players' instruments, not just some insane baroque coke-fuelled boutique fantasy.

[size=4]I must be getting more tolerant in me old age... I was actually hoping to become more right wing, but it hasn't happened... yet. [/size] :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363551677' post='2014070']
If I were given one, I'd get rid of it, pronto. Horrible, ugly things. I don't care how they might sound or play, I could not look at it. Come to that, I'd have trouble being in the same room. Don't get me wrong, i'm not being negative for the sake of it. They just repel me. As do a good many other 'furniture' basses, it must be said. But, if pushed, I'd have to say that there's nowhere even faintly approaching £5000 of difference between any Ritter and a Mexican P-bass. There just isn't, period. And I know which I'd have, even if I had millions.

And, to reiterate, I'm not jusrt talking Ritter here, but a myriad other so-called 'high-end' basses. They simply aren't. they are, in the main, just high-priced.
[/quote]

I had the huge misfortune of attempting to play a Mex Fender recently and was appalled at the quality control. Skunk stripe standing proud of the neck, fret ends slashing my fingers, really low pickup output, scratchy pots and a crackly jack socket.

Designed as a 'starter bass' this was exactly the kind of thing to stop new young players from ever venturing back to bass playing :(