Why become a member? ×

Alan Lancaster's,( Quo Legend), Mustang Bass

Donnyboy

[quote name='garry71' timestamp='1363544472' post='2013916']
My favourite Lancaster bassline is the one on Living On An Island. Dead simple and cliched, but it really works well.
[/quote]
Did he actually play on this, it's well known he couldn't stand the song, is this the one where he got substituted with a card board cut out on TOTPs? could have been Margarita time though. Both songs did a lot to turn me off Status Quo for a good many years

Went to the reunion gig on Saturday. Strange to relate, they didn't play [i][b]Living On An Island[/b][/i]. Or [i][b]Margarita Time[/b][/i]. Or[i][b] In The Army Now[/b][/i].

What they did was play a whole load of hard-core Quo-fan favourites that haven't been heard in a while, including giving Lancaster lead vocals on the first two.

Helluva gig.

Even if the bass drum was over-mic'd to hell & back.

I didn`t get to any of the Glasgow gigs but my drummer did and he is a quo fan but was not over impressed. Al and John made lots of mistakes and apparently Alan`s health is so dodgy, that at some of the gigs, he had his hand gaffer taped up with the plectrum jammed between finger and thumb.

But having watched some Ya tube clips of the Glasgow gig, it looked pretty good to me and I am miffed that I couldn`t go.

[i][quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1363621330' post='2014851']
I didn`t get to any of the Glasgow gigs but my drummer did and he is a quo fan but was not over impressed. Al and John made lots of mistakes and apparently Alan`s health is so dodgy, that at some of the gigs, he had his hand gaffer taped up with the plectrum jammed between finger and thumb.

But having watched some Ya tube clips of the Glasgow gig, it looked pretty good to me and I am miffed that I couldn`t go.[/i]

[i][/quote][/i]
[i][i]What do drummers know ! :rolleyes: :P - I was there and loved it, warts and all. AL's fingers weren't taped up as far as I could see , our drummer was there and was in awe of Rick Parfitt " He's the f'in' engine room of the band!!"[/i][/i]

[i][i]Edit - I was speaking to a drummer after it in the Lauriston Bar and he really rated JC[/i][/i]

Edited by Donnyboy

• 10 months later...

thought I'd revive this thread after reading this
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/rossi-lets-do-the-frantic-four-again-and-see-if-we-can-do-it-better/
Rossi's saying that Edwards is a far better player than Lancaster, which technically he might be, but after listening to the Quo reunion recording they certainly (IMO) sound so much better with Lancaster on bass (and Coughlan on drums) than they do now, to put it bluntly, they rock with the old line up in a way they never do now.
So, once again IMO, Rossi just doesn't get it

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1390919763' post='2351289']
thought I'd revive this thread after reading this
[url="http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/rossi-lets-do-the-frantic-four-again-and-see-if-we-can-do-it-better/"]http://www.classicro...n-do-it-better/[/url]
[/quote]

Ta for the link. Your assessment is spot on. :)

A friend of mine works at a venue Original Quo played in the north of England. This person says of Quo/A.L. ( no reason to doubt) that they sent out from the dressing room for "superglue to glue his Pick to his fingers as he couldn't hold it" and that Alan looked "Frail" sounds unlikely but they swear its true. Gaffer taped fingers pictures reminded me of this story and started to wonder ( just saying)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1390928259' post='2351415']
A friend of mine works at a venue Original Quo played in the north of England. This person says of Quo/A.L. ( no reason to doubt) that they sent out from the dressing room for "superglue to glue his Pick to his fingers as he couldn't hold it" and that Alan looked "Frail" sounds unlikely but they swear its true. Gaffer taped fingers pictures reminded me of this story and started to wonder ( just saying)
[/quote]
whether it's true or not he still managed to play ok, I see they're doing even more dates this year, yet another never to be repeated last chance to see the original line up lol, Rossi couldn't have thought it sounded that bad, perhaps he changed his mind when he heard the recording compared to the gutless stuff the new line up churn out

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1390932551' post='2351487']
whether it's true or not he still managed to play ok, I see they're doing even more dates this year, yet another never to be repeated last chance to see the original line up lol, Rossi couldn't have thought it sounded that bad, perhaps he changed his mind when he heard the recording compared to the gutless stuff the new line up churn out
[/quote]
I think the "new" line up that has being going (by my maths) longer than the old one is much better and I agree with Frank R. John Edwards is a better player than Alan Lancaster. thats not a revelation surely? when people, for example compare J Jamerson to Pino Palladinos version of his lines for example..... its just not the same, you don't need this explaining do you? different levels of virtuosity. James and Pino have an "understanding". Edwards and Lancaster...Edwards "understands " Lancaster.. it its very different. and its not just three notes (BTW)

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1390928259' post='2351415']
[/quote]

When I saw them last year at the Academy in Glasgow Alan definitely had a problem holding his plectrum and, yes, he did look frail I'm afraid. Apparently he had been going to the gym to build up his fitness for the tour.

Going to see them in April again

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1390946356' post='2351701']
Personally, I prefer the sound of the band without the cheesy piano

[/quote]

Hmmm ... the honky-tonk piano in the background has been a core part of their sound all the way back to Piledriver. It's not there on every song (obviously) but there are quite a few Quo toons that simply don't sound as good without it.

I think there's a difference between the honky tonk piano and the cheesy keyboard, which I think they've toned down now.

I had a dream last night that I'd lost a ticket to go see the "old" Quo in April this year. I bumped into Alan Lancaster and we wandered about Falkirk, and went for a pint at the Wheatsheaf and had a right good blether . Good times. He offered to let me have a shot of his Mustang , but I was a bit embarrassed and politely declined.

Anyway , moving along , here's an article kindly provided by jezzaboy on the subject

Edited by Donnyboy

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1390947226' post='2351711']
I think the "new" line up that has being going (by my maths) longer than the old one is much better and I agree with Frank R. John Edwards is a better player than Alan Lancaster. thats not a revelation surely? when people, for example compare J Jamerson to Pino Palladinos version of his lines for example..... its just not the same, you don't need this explaining do you? different levels of virtuosity. James and Pino have an "understanding". Edwards and Lancaster...Edwards "understands " Lancaster.. it its very different. and its not just three notes (BTW)
[/quote]
I don't think Edwards understands Lancasters bass playing, Edwards is a different type of Bass player, he plays with his fingers to start with, it not a question of being technically better, Lancaster has a better feel for the style of music, I've listen to live versions of Quo songs, Edwards v Lancaster, and there's just seems to be something missing when Edwards is on bass.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1390988983' post='2351922']
I've listen to live versions of Quo songs, Edwards v Lancaster, and there's just seems to be something missing when Edwards is on bass.
[/quote]

I agree totally, the missing ingredient is called ....balls!

• 2 months later...