Why become a member? ×

Alan Lancaster's,( Quo Legend), Mustang Bass

Donnyboy

Going to see the "Old" Quo at the weekend . Does anyone know the background /history to his Mustang Bass(es), I might be wrong but I think he had the same one for many years & had it refinished a number of times? Much better than the Kramer/Travis replacements that sounded rubbish and were too big for the Wee-Man. In my opinion, of course. :P

He certainly looks like he'll be playing a Mustang on the short reunion tour.

I did a Google search but , that was unsuccessful....

Anyone know the story?

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1362519306' post='2000810']
Excellent, look forward to hearing the story!
[/quote]

OOPSY WHOOPSY!!

Can`t find it. I had it somewhere. From what I remember, he had fitted the humbucker pickup to it and his son was using it in whatever band he was in but with the FF tour on the go he maust have blagged it back.

Enjoy the gig, should be a corker.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1362521290' post='2000868']
I'm going on Sunday and not quite sure what to expect?
[/quote]

Mean Girl
Softer Ride
Caroline
Paper Plane
Down Down
4500 Times
Whatever You Want
You're In The Army Now

What else did you want to know? ;)

(I'm seeing them on 16th at Hammersmith Odeon. :P )

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362558955' post='2001163']
Mean Girl
Softer Ride
Caroline
Paper Plane
Down Down
4500 Times
Whatever You Want
You're In The Army Now

What else did you want to know? ;)

(I'm seeing them on 16th at Hammersmith Odeon. :P )
[/quote]

I can live with all of the above , but, but ..." In the Army" surely not :o

I do like a bit of BFM! Margarita Time would be a nice reunion song..... :unsure:

The bass in question can be seen above , I've seen pics of Big AL playing a stripped and a sunburst Mustang - normally without a shirt on under his studded leather jacket - he must've been tough or he would've caught a lot of colds ......

I'm looking forward to ,but a wee bit apprehensive about seeing them again - it's been a while after all. I really do like the Alan Lancaster /John Coghlan combo.

Let's , eh, rock!!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362570437' post='2001399']
Given that he was a great big hard-as-nails macho type, I wonder why he chose a Mustang rather than a man's bass (i.e. a Precision). :lol:

[size=1]Now running for cover ...[/size]
[/quote]

Cause he`s a shortar*e?

[size=2]Joins HJ in running for cover[/size]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362570437' post='2001399']
Given that he was a great big hard-as-nails macho type, I wonder why he chose a Mustang rather than a man's bass (i.e. a Precision). :lol:

[size=1]Now running for cover ...[/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1362570669' post='2001406']
Cause he`s a shortar*e?

[size=2]Joins HJ in running for cover[/size]
[/quote]

Yeah, dead hard...... nice 'tache and curly perm -[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] I wouldn't pick a fight though..... [/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][size=4][/size][/size][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][size=4]oh and bare chest ( no hair!) and sunburst Mustang.[/size][/size][/font]

Looks like he is wearing his nan's teeth in post 11.

I saw them many times in the early 70s - the first time when 'Paper Plane' was released as a single from Piledriver. I attribute my current hearing loss to Rob Young's harmonica playing and Big Al's singing on Roadhouse Blues at that first gig at the Queen's Hotel in Westcliff. 'let it RAAWL baby rawl'

I thought it best not to see them this time around.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1362571594' post='2001423']
Yeah, dead hard...... nice 'tache and curly perm -[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] I wouldn't pick a fight though..... [/size][/font]
[/quote]

By all accounts, he grew up on one of the toughest estates in Peckham and was ready to take one anyone, any time.

According to both Rossi & Parfitt, when they first hooked up with him they found him pretty intimidating.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1362575930' post='2001510']
I missed out on tickets, gutted. I would have loved to see them back together again. I hope there's going to be a DVD out of this.
[/quote]

Yes. The show at Wembley on Sun 17th March will be filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release in September.

I will be getting that one for sure.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1362578599' post='2001564']
The worst thing about this thread is I am now gassing for a Mustang of some description! But lack of cash means no more additions to the family. :(
[/quote]

mmmh I'm not sure , you must be about a foot too tall!!!! :ph34r:

went to the Wolverhampton gig last night, great atmosphere in a relatively small venue, did a lot of less obvious stuff with Lancaster on vocals, no Caroline or Rocking All Over the World, no keyboards, thankfully, and a bit of Bob Young on harmonica, well worth going

Donny. Some info from one of the guys on the SQ forum.

[size=4]was interested to read that this particular mustang (he got another sunburst one around '74 i think), was his original one.
it was originally white w/tortie scratchplate (seen in 'doing their thing'), then stripped back to natural with a metal/mirrored scratchplate ('paper plane' at the marquee in '72), then it was a dark purply colour (not black) in various videos in the late 70s.

more recently, it had its pickup changed a couple of times and of course, it's now being used in the reunion[/size]

[size=2][size=4]Agree with you re the size of me compared to the Mustang[/size]. :D [/size]

Edited by jezzaboy