Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slayer &the big4 ...

Looks like the end could be nigh for Slayer.
Can't do the link, but apparently Nr.Lombardo thinks he is being ripped off.
He has been replaced for forthcoming Aussie tour .
Then Mr. Hanneman is still recovering from his spider bite.
Tom's back is still fragile.

Besides all that, they haven't made a really good album since god hates us all .
Everything is 'rumoured to be the next reign in blood'

Losing interest in them now.
At 50+ years Tom still wears leather pants ??
Kerry king looks like wwf .

Anthrax still do good albums , but they have minimal original or near original members.

We all know about Mustaine and ulrich. Never knew Kerry king was supposed to be up himself also.
Better stop rambling now;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361881336' post='1992287']
Never knew Kerry king was supposed to be up himself also.
[/quote]

Wasn't it obvious? :lol: I always thought of him as an incredibly overrated money driven poser. It's cool that they've had Gary Holt fill in for Jeff the last couple of years, but it's definitely time they called it a day. Besides, Gary needs to get back to Exodus and start playing some more real thrash!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361881336' post='1992287']
Anthrax still do good albums , but they have minimal original or near original members.
[/quote]

bit unfair, Anthrax have had about 28 different members (I think Scott Ian is the only truly original member)

The current line up has 4 that have pretty much been together since 1984 (Bello had 1 year out and Belladonna has been there for 1/2 that time, on and off)

But back to the subject of Slayer Hanneman's arm is pretty impressive!

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1361884765' post='1992383']
Is there something wrong with Lombardo that has caused him to be replaced? He is a monster of a drummer.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.nme.com/news/slayer/68856"]http://www.nme.com/news/slayer/68856[/url]

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1361884765' post='1992383']
Slayer are the only one of the big 4 that I've never gotten into, I have respect for the career they have had, but just don't like their music :P

Is there something wrong with Lombardo that has caused him to be replaced? He is a monster of a drummer.
[/quote]

He probably doesn't get any writing credits, and, as such, as smaller slice of the band's royalties.
He probably makes more when they tour. Common issue for drummers who don't get a share of the writing monies...
Hence the "ripped off" part...?

I think the big 4 are weakening simply through age. you cant be expected to be angry when you are trying to write music by your own pool.

It's the end of the big boys in my opinion, because music is now released in massive volumes the fanship is no long channeled to smaller band choice (Like the old days) I think now bands will have smaller more loyal followers rather than lots of people following larger bands.

It's a new era in metal

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1361958955' post='1993517']
I think the big 4 are weakening simply through age. you cant be expected to be angry when you are trying to write music by your own pool.

It's the end of the big boys in my opinion, because music is now released in massive volumes the fanship is no long channeled to smaller band choice (Like the old days) I think now bands will have smaller more loyal followers rather than lots of people following larger bands.

It's a new era in metal
[/quote]

Metallica can't be angry anymore as they're now a family friendly metal band.

Megadeth aren't angry anymore because Dave and Junior are born again Christians.

Anthrax have always been too comedic to ever be taken seriously IMHO.

Slayer are just going through the motions.

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1361966259' post='1993666']

[/quote]

They never took themselves too seriously either...
Which is why I liked them more than the other 3...

How Suicidal Tendencies didn't make it as big as the big 4 I'll never know.

Well, I've been going to so many gigs over the years . Regarding the big 4 , some of the best gigs I have seen; anthrax at the hammer smith Apollo (spreading the disease) Metallica /anthrax puppets tour hammy o.Slayer reign in blood tour hammy o. Plus many others can't remember right now . Megadeath in the early years were ropey IMHO .Flotsam blew them clean off at hammy o .
Best megadeath gig I saw was at Astoria 7/8 years ago.( not the dreadful one a year later with session players).
Yeah, they're all tame now.
Suicidal tendencies were not on the same league IMHO . 1 good album( lights camera)
1 great single( send me your money ) crap live.
Too political . Very samey , very Whiney.
Only IMHO ;)

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1361966259' post='1993666']
Metallica can't be angry anymore as they're now a family friendly metal band.

Megadeth aren't angry anymore because Dave and Junior are born again Christians.

Slayer are just going through the motions.
[/quote]
Yep most of these things come with age.....lost because they are not young in a young persons world.

[quote]
woah...90% being skimmed off? if true that sounds nasty....
[/quote]

I read that as "90% of the income is being written off as expenses" which in my mind translates to "90% of the income is tax free because of clever accounting I don't really understand".

Anthrax were always my favourite [i]because [/i]they retained their humour and brought it on stage: I could never take the others seriously because they were so... serious.

ST were amazing. Off to listen to "How Will I Laugh..." now :D

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1361968173' post='1993706']

They never took themselves too seriously either...
Which is why I liked them more than the other 3...

How Suicidal Tendencies didn't make it as big as the big 4 I'll never know.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate, I've just always felt that thrash metal isn't supposed to be comedic, well not the music at least.

What bugs me about them more is that they aren't from the Bay Area. That fourth place should've gone to either Testament or Exodus.

Regarding testament, they played at the monsters of rock in cologne to replace megadeath at short notice . They played before Dave lee Roth,anthrax, kiss and maiden.They were IMHO the best band of the day on par with maiden.
They were almost the big 4 along with overkill and nuclear assault, but somehow lost their way.
BTW 'hang the pope' the song that is timeless ;)

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1361973006' post='1993840']
Fair enough mate, I've just always felt that thrash metal isn't supposed to be comedic, well not the music at least.

What bugs me about them more is that they aren't from the Bay Area. That fourth place should've gone to either Testament or Exodus.
[/quote]

I never thought Thrash Metal was meant to be serious...

Testament, I prefer them to Slayer and Megadeth. So my Big 4 would be

Anthrax
ST
Metallica (I can't believe Trujillo has been with them for 10 years already)
Testament

It's a good job we don't all like the same stuff, the same way, or music (and life) would be dull... :)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1361975026' post='1993869']

I never thought Thrash Metal was meant to be serious...

Testament, I prefer them to Slayer and Megadeth. So my Big 4 would be

Anthrax
ST
Metallica (I can't believe Trujillo has been with them for 10 years already)
Testament

It's a good job we don't all like the same stuff, the same way, or music (and life) would be dull... :)
[/quote]

Horses for main courses and that lark :)

And indeed it's been 10 years...and it's still not right! :P

But I think it's fair to say Testament are often overlooked, Exodus too.

I saw the big four in poland, sonisphere a few years back. Great show, but even then it felt like they were all acknoledging time by coming togeyher and the promo that attracted. For me, slayer were the most impressive band of the day followed by megadeth, anthrax and metallica. Everyone stepped out to perform i felt.

I really like metllica but they tour so much, do a festival nearly every year, and their performances i think have become a bit boring and predictable - almost too polished.

I agree testament should be in the big four, probably over anthrax in my view who manged to lose their way a bit, but still retain their accolade.

Saw Testament at Hard Rock Hell this year. Friggin awesome! one of the best metal bands i have ever seen. just pure baddass thrash metal. They really prove it can still be done.

The Big 4 is just crap really! They were only ever billed as such as they have sold more stuff than anyone else. Probably why the smaller bands such as Testament and Exodus are still pumping cool tunes is caus they didnt get swimming pools n crap.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1362035768' post='1994697']
I really like metllica but they tour so much, do a festival nearly every year, and their performances i think have become a bit boring and predictable - almost too polished.
[/quote]

Boring and predictable for sure, but I certainly wouldn't say polished. It's no secret Lars is getting worse with every year and Kirk is just fumbling through his solos on a nightly basis. I love Metallica, they are easily my favourite band, but I actually struggle to watch them live nowadays.

Whereas I would say that Megadeth are certainly much more polished as a live act, Dave's voice is hit and miss but I actually enjoy watching them over Metallica's recent shows.

I know during the mid to late 90's Metallica were criticised then for not being the same band from Seattle 1989, but I would've much rather to see them then as opposed to now.

Lombardo's been in and out of the band a few times now. He left in 86, 92 and now he's out again. I'm guessing his motivation to rejoin in 2001 was money motivated.
The last couple of albums were really good I thought but I really hated the nu-metal phase of Diabolus and God hates us all so it's all personal preference.

Suicidal were one of the first crossover bands to appeal to punk and metal fans but they kind of lost me after the Suicidal for life album which was a bit too polished. The debut, Join the army, How will I laugh and Lights camera were very creative.