Why become a member? ×

Slayer &the big4 ...

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1361966259' post='1993666']
Metallica can't be angry anymore as they're now a family friendly metal band.

Megadeth aren't angry anymore because Dave and Junior are born again Christians.

Anthrax have always been too comedic to ever be taken seriously IMHO.

Slayer are just going through the motions.
[/quote]

Metallica's James and Lars are very family focussed but the St Anger and Death magnetic albums are the angriest material they've recorded since 1988, maybe these albums aren't heavy by today's standards but compared to their 90's alternative output they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Dave Mustaine has always been a christian, their 1986 album peace sells has the line "What do you mean I don't believe in god, I talk to him everyday".

Dave Mustaine is a right nasty piece of work. I'm glad they've done nothing interesting since Risk (which I liked) as I hated the thought of giving that steaming, hate filled, bigoted, slimy turd my money. I don't normally let the ideals of any band I like interfere with my enjoyment of their music, if I like it I like it, but he's proper 'orrible.

I liked Metallica's self titled album. I believe that if the recording values and the maturity of Hetfield's voice on that album had been used on Master of Puppets, it would probably be the best album [i]ever[/i] and I don't know that it would ever have been beaten.

I never got on with Anthrax, it just seemed like some big joke that I didn't get.

I love some Slayer songs, but most of their stuff I can take or leave.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1362081113' post='1995570']

Metallica's James and Lars are very family focussed but the St Anger and Death magnetic albums are the angriest material they've recorded since 1988, maybe these albums aren't heavy by today's standards but compared to their 90's alternative output they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Dave Mustaine has always been a christian, their 1986 album peace sells has the line "What do you mean I don't believe in god, I talk to him everyday".
[/quote]

When you compare those 2 to the anger and other emotions that went into the first 4 albums, they do come up rather short. Surprisingly, even on Black Album through to Reload they were still producing some angry stuff, sure the music didn't reflect but the lyrical content sure did. St Anger has quite a bit of anger in it but again it's almost tame in comparison. Death Magnetic was more tamer again. They aren't angry, pissed off, scraggly oiks with long hair anymore.

They've proven their point and the world listened and they are now very wealthy because of it. They're grateful to be alive and to be still playing to the crowds they do, and they are a family orientated band now, so they have to set an example.

Dave was born into the religion as most are in America. But through the early Megadeth/Metallica years he was anything but religious, even having flirtations with the occult at one point. It wasn't until the late 90's or early 00's that he was born again and took his religion seriously, so seriously that he won't play the songs that are tied to his occult dealings, I.E. The Conjuring, Bad Omen, Good Mourning/Black Friday etc...And it's partly the reason why they don't hardly play anything of Killing is my Business either. He refuses to play Anarchy in the USA as well because of his faith. If anything, what anger Dave has left it seems to be channeled on politics.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1362082949' post='1995609']
When you compare those 2 to the anger and other emotions that went into the first 4 albums, they do come up rather short. Surprisingly, even on Black Album through to Reload they were still producing some angry stuff, sure the music didn't reflect but the lyrical content sure did. St Anger has quite a bit of anger in it but again it's almost tame in comparison. Death Magnetic was more tamer again. They aren't angry, pissed off, scraggly oiks with long hair anymore.

They've proven their point and the world listened and they are now very wealthy because of it. They're grateful to be alive and to be still playing to the crowds they do, and they are a family orientated band now, so they have to set an example.

Dave was born into the religion as most are in America. But through the early Megadeth/Metallica years he was anything but religious, even having flirtations with the occult at one point. It wasn't until the late 90's or early 00's that he was born again and took his religion seriously, [b]so seriously that he won't play the songs that are tied to his occult dealings, I.E. The Conjuring, Bad Omen, Good Mourning/Black Friday etc..[/b].And it's partly the reason why they don't hardly play anything of Killing is my Business either. He refuses to play Anarchy in the USA as well because of his faith. If anything, what anger Dave has left it seems to be channeled on politics.
[/quote]
Oh, that really, really annoys me. The reason I refuse to ever go to see WASP live again is because Blackie refuses to play some of their best stuff just because he got religion. I had been following his diary on the WASP website over the last 14 months and the last entry was a huge plug for Christianity, though he rather lamely tried to claim it wasn't.
An interesting thing about these musicians, especially the ones considered the band leader, that get reborn, their past is usually riddled with feuds with people they have told lies about.