Why become a member? ×

Converted Laklander

cocco

My bob Glaub had its first outing tonight. Absolutely amazed by it! I didn't touch the controls all night so purely by how much I was digging in it was rawcus when I wanted it to be and mellow when I didn't. Is it telepathic? I've never had a more intuitive instrument. It damn near plays itself too. I've always loved P basses but every one I've had, and they have been varied has had something missing or just not quite right about it. This one is incredible. I am going to have to stop myself hoarding Laklands now. DJ4 and JO4 owners look out!

Edited by cocco

[quote name='BigLicks67' timestamp='1361870932' post='1992046']
I noticed the Indonesian built Lakland Jazz/P bass copies are more expensive second hand than USA Fenders. Considering you get a hard case with the Fender, I was wondering what makes the Lakland's better/more expensive?
[/quote]

There are far fewer of them around - try buying a brand new Skyline Bob Glaub/44-64, there are hardly any for sale in dealers anywhere in the UK, particularly with rosewood 'boards.

There are also approximately zero of the USA made Laklands available in the UK dealers, so I'd speculate that some people who may have considered a more expensive model are jumping on the Skylines as a substitute (again driving up the price since these folks are probably not on a super-tight budget)

This lack of supply, combined with the fact that they get raving reviews everywhere on the internet (whereas there are loads of Fenders for sale, and Fender reviews are quite mixed, particularly wrt setup and QC/Consistency), is what makes them approximately the same price as a used US Standard (despite being a bit cheaper new)

All IMHO obviously ;)

....I noticed the Indonesian built Lakland Jazz/P bass copies are more expensive second hand than USA Fenders. Considering you get a hard case with the Fender, I was wondering what makes the Lakland's better/more expensive?....
[/quote]

Compared to Fender, Lakland is a young company and is still run by bass players not accountants. For me that will always give them a head start.

Fenders are made on an industrial scale. That many basses in circulation will always depress prices.

In the past Fender seems to have let QC slip. Lakland didn't so their reputation hasn't taken a hit. Fender's QC is supposed to have got a lot better in the last few years but I would still go for a custom built US Lakland over a CS (or whatever the top of the line is) from Fender.

In some companies you can still talk to the guys who design and make your gear. I emailed Dan Lakin about my bass and he replied next day. I can't imagine getting to talk to anyone in Fender other than a PR person.

I noticed the Indonesian built Lakland Jazz/P bass copies are more expensive second hand than USA Fenders. Considering you get a hard case with the Fender, I was wondering what makes the Lakland's better/more expensive?
[/quote]
They're also (particularly on here) well thought of and often have premium third party pickups - Lindy Fralin for instance, both of which will put up the value.

Glad the OP is really liking his Bob Glaub, I'm still pretty enamoured with my Duck Dunn and despite slight reservations about the neck profile I really can't see me parting with it soon.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1361884453' post='1992371']
I always thought that if - for some reason - I'd ever have to abandon Fender, Lakland would probably be my first port of call.
[/quote]

+1. Especially since I did have a DJ4 for a while. Excellent bass. Well put together. However, IMHO it wasn't any better than my Fenders. The other thing was that the oval bridge just didn't do it for me. Like WoT though I would go for Lakland if my Fenders blew up and none were available.

G
[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1361836667' post='1991881']
My bob Glaub had its first outing tonight. Absolutely amazed by it! I didn't touch the controls all night so purely by how much I was digging in it was rawcus when I wanted it to be and mellow when I didn't. Is it telepathic? I've never had a more intuitive instrument. It damn near plays itself too. I've always loved P basses but every one I've had, and they have been varied has had something missing or just not quite right about it. This one is incredible. I am going to have to stop myself hoarding Laklands now. DJ4 and JO4 owners look out!
[/quote]

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Glaub . A big part of the feel of those basses is the vintage - style very small gauge fretwire they use , which I am sure also helps give Lakland basses a slightly different sound . Do you know what pickup your bass has ? I am a big fan of the Hanson Neo Punch pickup and its' uniquely agressive and chunky sound , but the Fralins they used to use sound good too .

Edited by Dingus

Ive got a maple Lakland JO4 neck on my Squier CVP. Best necks ive ever played.
Agree about the look of the bridges though, while they dont bother me as much as, say the ugly G&L headstock's, i do prefer the more traditional Fender look.

Oh, and ive just brought a Fralin for it as well :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

I like the bridge shape on Lakland basses ! It's become synonymous with the brand , and I suppose it was a canny way for Lakland to make their basses easily identifiable and distinct from other brands . It's certainly a very well engineered piece of kit , and is easy to adjust and is refreshingly rattle -free compared to some bridges I have encountered .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1361887438' post='1992451']
G

A big part of the feel of those basses is the vintage - style very small gauge fretwire they use
[/quote]

Definately agree with that. I don't think it's possible for a pickup to be better than the fralin mine has. What's the neo punch like? Just incase I fancy a slightly different back up to my BG. :0

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1361911529' post='1993039']
Definately agree with that. I don't think it's possible for a pickup to be better than the fralin mine has. What's the neo punch like? Just incase I fancy a slightly different back up to my BG. :0
[/quote]

The Neo Puch has got a big and chunky agressive sound with a hint of compression . It's slightly more modern sounding than the Fralin pickup , but still sounds like a classic Precision . It's unique in so much as it uses a neodynium magnet , and is basically a Hanson Chi Sonic pickup in a P Bass configuration , from what I can make out . If you listen to the audio samples on the Lakland website the sample for the Duck Dunn ( or 44-64 Custom , as it is now known ) features a Neo Punch pickup and gives a very good idea of what they actually sound like in the flesh . You can compare it to the sound of the Bob Glaub/ 44-64 samples with Fralin pickups and see what you think .

Hi, there is a Lakland USA Bob Glaub 4 for sale here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakland-USA-Bob-Glaub-4-lake-placid-blue-/261172837823?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3ccf1d3dbf

Rosewwod slab fretboard, lindy fralins PJ configuration and Jazz taper neck. I am switching to 5 strings only ... Lakland Bob Glaub 5 USA of course :)

J

[quote name='Jebri' timestamp='1361918811' post='1993195']
....I am switching to 5 strings only ... Lakland Bob Glaub 5 USA of course....
[/quote]

I spent over a year looking for a used 5 string BG to put with my 55-94.

In the end I took a punt on a Mike Lull PJ5, and I'm now very happy I did.