Why become a member? ×

Mark King.

marcus bell

Mark King is awesome. Contrary to a previous poster, for me the Jaydee tone was a bit 'raw', and I prefer the Alembic and Kingbass tone. But I have been a fan since the early days anyway. He just blew my mind - as Marcus, Jaco, Victor and M. Manring did. And he sings too. His lines are inventive and groovy, and he managed to put the bass in the 'can-be-spectacular' instrument category for mainstream (white) audiences. If anything, I think that he reached the peak of his technique very early on (but this may be true of many virtuosos), and didn't evolve it much. With his natural talent, I'm sure he could have done so many things on fretless, tapping, harmonics, chords, you name it. For some reason, he put songs first, and their widespread success in the cheesy late 80s were not in his favour as a player's player.

But he was always honest and this isn't detrimental of what a fantastic player he is, whether you like his music or not. 'Influences' should be a mandatory listen for any aspiring bassist - at least once. The recent 'Live in Soho' is pretty much a live rendition of that album.

Slap is cool. I love it.

I'm a big fan!
[size=4]1) MK is a great composer. Great songs. Great melodies.[/size]
2) MK is a monster groover. Slap or finger-style.
3) MK created something new. He's a leader. Not a follower.
4) MK is a hard-working, honest musician. He's really sweating it out there. He's not taking short-cuts.
5) MK is a singer. How the hell does he do that??? I still wonder.
6) MK is an inspiration to thousands of bass players around the world.
7) MK is still relevant today after a career that spans 30 years.
8) MK contributed to many technical advancements in lutherie.
9) MK is the coolest chap on planet bass.
10) Oh, did I mention that SLAPPING IS AWESOME ???!!!! :D

Edited by BassPimp66

Reading this thread has made me revisit my old Level 42 albums.

I bumped into Mark King in a Glasgow restaurant just after the Standing In The Light album had been released, and the band were currently on tour (circa 1983). I was a 19 year old bass nut who wasn't really aware of the bands music other than the "Living It Up" single which was in the charts at that time. Mark was great, we talked about basses and he said I should give John Diggens a call.

I was invited along to the gig later and it was a completely incredible gig. I was blown away by Mark's playing - total powerhouse on his Jaydee.

I did call John diggens, and had him make me a Jaydee bass (a double octave neck GA24), which I picked up from his Moseley workshop. Great menories.

Anyhow, I'm now off to immerse me self in the Influences CD.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/58ACC7B4-B104-49C0-AC9A-B06B4B1CCD05-528-000000692502AC6C.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1361714268' post='1989598']I bumped into Mark King in a Glasgow restaurant just after the Standing In The Light album had been released...............Mark was great, we talked about basses and he said I should give John Diggens a call.

I was invited along to the gig later and it was a completely incredible gig. I was blown away by Mark's playing - total powerhouse on his Jaydee.

I did call John diggens, and had him make me a Jaydee bass[/quote]

Now that's influence! Amazing!

JD has his two sons working for him too now, so I'm glad that even though MK doesn't use his as much that JayDee themselves are up to their eyes in work (18 month waiting list). I believe a fair amount of that is Sabbath fan orientated.

Guest bassman7755

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKI8pFqWm0s[/media]

If you want to skip the solo the song starts at about 1:20

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1361738574' post='1990170']
What was the name of the second album by M (yup, of Pop Musik fame), where Level 42 were the musicians on it? I had the album ages ago
[/quote]

The Official Secrets Act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Secrets_Act_%28album%29

Thanks for making me aware. I dig M.

best,
bert

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1361709452' post='1989498']
Mark King is awesome. Contrary to a previous poster, for me the Jaydee tone was a bit 'raw', and I prefer the Alembic and Kingbass tone.
[/quote]

I always preferred his Status and Alembic sounds. I think the Status sound was the best though. When I had my Series II I played Level 42 tunes on it all day.

I bought a live L42 CD in one of those cheapie shops that sells non-descript CDs for a £5. It's from 2006 on the "Forever Gold" label cat no. FG407 from Holland............ and that's your lot - on a single page cover apart from the tracks it has no details of where it was, when or how old the recording is.

Any fans know more about it? just curious.

I know what you mean but sometimes these instrumentals are all about energy and adrenaline... King has proven to be a real groove player if he wants to (people seem to forget how good he is fingerstyle) but I can dig these instrumentals where it's all about "can he pull this off at that speed".
If a track like this is followed by Kansas City Milkman, I'm ok with it.

he/his band had a knack of making great pop records when the brit funk was not as popular as it was....his bass playing on this track, although not his sig tone, is awsome melodic playing. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OmzsxY7OaY[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

• 5 months later...

To me L42 will always be boon, phil, mark and mike, i was shocked when the goulds left but after
reading loads on it i understood why and you have to hand it them for sticking to there morals
when the potential for them was huge,
Phil and boon are great song writer's and penned alot of the early songs infact you can still hear these L42 qualities on phil's solo cd watertight. and also boons tin man and love kills overtime.

if you read this mark (as im sure you will ;) ) and to boon phil and mike, can we have another cd
as the orig line up getting back to what you know you did best... Britfunk. comon its about time,
lets have it. :gas:

Edited by funkgod

We used to rehearse at the same place L42 did in the early days. After a while we used to get to the rehearsal room quite a bit earlier, just to sit outside and listen to them.
Not a huge L42 fan these days but i have a lot of time for them, and Mark seems to be a genuinely nice bloke, not big headed at all (i would be if i had his talent)

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1375791884' post='2165616']
To me L42 will always be boon, phil, mark and mike, i was shocked when the goulds left but after
reading loads on it i understood why and you have to hand it them for sticking to there morals
when the potential for them was huge,
Phil and boon are great song writer's and penned alot of the early songs infact you can still hear these L42 qualities on phil's solo cd watertight. and also boons tin man and love kills overtime.

if you read this mark (as im sure you will ;) ) and to boon phil and mike, can we have another cd
as the orig line up getting back to what you know you did best... Britfunk. comon its about time,
lets have it. :gas:
[/quote]perfect ^^^^