Why become a member? ×

Mark King.

marcus bell

After not listening to level 42 for a while and going in a different direction. think: the smiths, jam, specials, police blah blah...

I put on the world machine album today and just remembered how great Mark King is as a Bass player, the way he sings and plays is phenomenal, has a great presence on stage and is such a down to earth guy whenever i meet him, not to mention that his bass sounds are amazing...

of course this is only my opinion and im sure he has a lot of haters as well as fans, but just thought id share my liking for this mans abilities and how he has influenced me more than anyone as a bass player and a music fan.

listen to anything by level 42, but the first few albums are good

self titled album
the early tapes
pursuit of accidents
standing in the light
true colours

also check out mark kings first album influences, especially the 19 minute 'the essential' some phenomenal bass playing on there, he plays all instruments too ;)

absolutely love the guy though, my biggest musical hero, mainly for being bought up with level 42 by my old man, being dragged to a few mark king gigs, its made me realise how good he is as a musician and what a lovely person too, got a couple of my basses signed by him and he even played 'dune tune' on my jaydee a few years ago :)

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1360683570' post='1974583']
listen to anything by level 42, but the first few albums are good

self titled album
the early tapes
pursuit of accidents
standing in the light
true colours

also check out mark kings first album influences, especially the 19 minute 'the essential' some phenomenal bass playing on there, he plays all instruments too ;)

absolutely love the guy though, my biggest musical hero, mainly for being bought up with level 42 by my old man, being dragged to a few mark king gigs, its made me realise how good he is as a musician and what a lovely person too, got a couple of my basses signed by him and he even played 'dune tune' on my jaydee a few years ago :)
[/quote]

Cool
will give these a go cheers

Many might dislike him and the music Level 42 made, but I doubt they can deny the impact he made on the amount of people picking up bass throughout the 80's and and changing the public perception of the instrument at that point.

A big influence on me many years ago when I got into slap properly, but all I see nowadays is far too many of his clones, which unfortunately grows tiring as they seem to lack any real originality other than writing lines that sound like Love Games, Mr Pink, or The Chinese Way.

I will say that some of his more fingerstyle based lines are often overlooked.

Edited by Josh

He's definitely moved slap playing on in the 80s, not a big fan of it myself.

Met him a couple of times and he is a top bloke, he's a great drummer too. As has been said his fingerstyle playing is often overlooked. Here's some noodling that's probably not what you'd expect from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXtQV7m2PM&feature=related

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1360693916' post='1974879']
LOL. why oh why do people get opinionated against others ill never know.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199459-flea/page__pid__1974885#entry1974885"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199459-flea/page__pid__1974885#entry1974885[/url]

Post 8 ;)

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1360694426' post='1974899']
ive never ever said anyone was the best, i dont see how you define a best, only what is best for you as a listener, watcher, admirer etc...
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have put this little fella in :). Surely with nearly 800 posts you've heard of the silly King vs Flea 'discussions'? :)

I wasn't being at all serious.

Edited by Marvin

Had their live at Wembley on video & played it till it fell to bits; no such problem with the DVD :)

Met him once at Jaydee's but was almost completely tongue-tied & hoping that he didn't ask me to play anything. A very nice guy, but I've found mosts "names" are when out of the public eye.

There was an excellent docu on TV about him a few years ago - mostly at his home, showing his drumming as well as recording.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1360694577' post='1974901']
Sorry, I should have put this little fella in :). Surely with nearly 800 posts you've heard of the silly King vs Flea 'discussions'? :)

I wasn't being at all serious.
[/quote]

i know matey, i just find it irritating when people get compared and put down. it all comes down to the individual as ive said before :)
hope your all good dude :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360694588' post='1974902']
Had their live at Wembley on video & played it till it fell to bits; no such problem with the DVD :)

Met him once at Jaydee's but was almost completely tongue-tied & hoping that he didn't ask me to play anything. A very nice guy, but I've found mosts "names" are when out of the public eye.

There was an excellent docu on TV about him a few years ago - mostly at his home, showing his drumming as well as recording.
[/quote]

love the live at wembley dvd stu, great footage of a band that although had 'sold out', were still outstanding musicians in their own ways :) wish the original level 42 line up would of stayed together and mark had carried on using jaydee basses, but like he so rightfully said 'its over'

always great to meet mark and have a little chat :)

Whatever way you look at it MK was/is a massively influential bass player. Early Level 42 music certainly made me sit up and listen. I think I'm right in saying that he originally wanted to be the bands drummer but moved to the bass when nobody else would do it. His style has now become a bit of a cliche, but that's not his fault - the world seems to be full of (mostly sub-standard) MK imitators. To be able to sing and play his basslines at the same time is a quite phenominal talent, and if he's as nice a bloke as so many people say, he deserves all the credit he can get.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1360695138' post='1974917']
Whatever way you look at it MK was/is a massively influential bass player. Early Level 42 music certainly made me sit up and listen. I think I'm right in saying that he originally wanted to be the bands drummer but moved to the bass when nobody else would do it. His style has now become a bit of a cliche, but that's not his fault - the world seems to be full of (mostly sub-standard) MK imitators. To be able to sing and play his basslines at the same time is a quite phenominal talent, and if he's as nice a bloke as so many people say, he deserves all the credit he can get.
[/quote]

well said lad.