Why become a member? ×

Stupid, self inflicted, bass-limiting injuries

mingsta

Got rather angry over something last Friday and in a fit of petulance I thumped the nearest inanimate object...which happened to be a dining chair. Unfortunately the dining chair proved to be more resiliant than my picking hand, whose middle knuckle went up to the size of a golf ball over the weekend and makes the occasional alarming spasm as the tendon moves out of its usual groove.

It made band practice last night a rather interesting experience, but on the plus side, I'm now perfecting my Jamerson "Hook" technique.

I guess the moral of the story is that mild mannered computer people should avoid picking on anything, including inanimate objects. I think I'll recover from this one but what a [email="tw@t"]tw@t[/email] I am for risking my already limited abilities through needless injuries! Has anyone else on here been as stupid as me? Please share....

Possibly not [i]quite[/i] as silly as picking a fight with a dining chair, but a few months back, my left thumb lost an argument with a carving knife. Cutting a cooking apple, and the blade slipped off, went diagonally down into the tip of my thumb, almost half-way through. Fortunately it closed up almost immediately, so I didn't need stitches, but it made the next day's practise quite interesting. Couldn't grip the neck with my thumb, so had to stick it into my palm. Good technique it did not encourage! :lol:

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1360591466' post='1972861']
Possibly not [i]quite[/i] as silly as picking a fight with a dining chair, but a few months back, my left thumb lost an argument with a carving knife. Cutting a cooking apple, and the blade slipped off, went diagonally down into the tip of my thumb, almost half-way through. Fortunately it closed up almost immediately, so I didn't need stitches, but it made the next day's practise quite interesting. Couldn't grip the neck with my thumb, so had to stick it into my palm. Good technique it did not encourage! :lol:
[/quote]

I think I'm going to start a crusade against blunt kitchen knives. Every friend's home we've been to for dinner had no sharp knives in the kitchen except one, and she's an ex chef.

Blunt knives are dangerous, people, sharpen those f***ers up!

I snapped a tendon in my left hand(mallet finger) doing some MMA training. Put me out of playing bass for 3 months. Should have been 6 months but according to the Physio my fingers were a bit stronger than normal due to playing bass.
Was my last MMA session as I can't do without bass

I severed a nerve in my left index finger with a breadknife... I'd had a few beers and couldn't be bothered washing something up to chop the bread on, so just did it in my hand. Got to a particularly tough bit of bread and went it with a vengeance without thinking about it... never seen as much blood. My girlfriend warned me against it too, but I dismissed her concerns and told her it'd be fine. That'll teach me. Ended up having to get surgery on it and the full deal... had to cancel a fair few gigs for that one.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360591743' post='1972868']
I think I'm going to start a crusade against blunt kitchen knives. Every friend's home we've been to for dinner had no sharp knives in the kitchen except one, and she's an ex chef.

Blunt knives are dangerous, people, sharpen those f***ers up!
[/quote]

The problem was more my own apple-slicing technique, rather than the sharpness of the knives. If the knife hadn't been as sharp, my thumb probably would have gotten off a lot more lightly.

I once snapped an oven proof dish doing the washing up (by hand!) and sliced my right wrist enough to need suturing and strapping up for the better part of a month. We now have a dishwasher (just until the eldest man-cub gets a bit bigger...)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1360598756' post='1973061']
I once snapped an oven proof dish doing the washing up (by hand!) and sliced my right wrist enough to need suturing and strapping up for the better part of a month. We now have a dishwasher (just until the eldest man-cub gets a bit bigger...)
[/quote]

Haha, if hes tall enough to see the soap suds then he's old enough to wash up!!!

Funnily enough, I sliced the top of my left thumb cutting veg on the very same day that I busted the knuckle!

years ago whilst working in an ice factory my workmate shut a lorry tail lift with my finger in it! it broke my right hand middle finger crushing it and ripped the nail out
couldnt play for months and i never got full feeling back in my finger but least ive still got it ;)

The morning before heading off to headline a decent sized festival the band decided we had time to do some carpentry on our new transit van (building a bulkhead with a seat in front) anyway part way through the exercise I managed to land a direct hit on my thumb with the largest hammer I owned, cue lots of blood and howls of pain and anguish, I plunged it into ice cold water and kept doing it until we left for the gig fully expecting to be completely unable to play.....I still can't undertand to this day but I went on stage played without any pain through the whole set and other than a bit of blood loss no ill effects......about a week later the nail fell off.

Managed to do very similar last year, 2 days before supporting Midge Ure I shut my right thumb in a car door but again managed to play the gig without any problems

I must be well hard!

Punched a wall after a family argument.and broke my fretting hand,not sure which was worse the embrassment of having done something so stupid or not being able to play for a month :blush: .

Also (and I've no idea how I managed this) got a set of very deep gouges that went right underneath the pads/fingertips on the same hand whilst posting a dvd into a rental drop box, lot of blood,
must have puzzled the poor sod who had to collect the films as well.

My hands are covered in scars... I'm way too gung ho when doing physical stuff and have an almost curious lack of sensitivity to pain.
I've had 9 stitches across the heel of my left hand, I have 3 parallel scars on my right hand/wrist from a nick with a chainsaw, which had to be super glued. I have saw blade scars all up my fingers and I've put my hand through glass twice. I also once fell and opened up my left hand second finger/knuckle on a half beer barrel, I was not really in control of my faculties at the time. I stared at the gaping wound which was all white and sinew like (was looking at tendons and bone) so I ran upstairs to my girlfriend to get an opinion which turned said wound into a fountain of blood as the running upped my heart rate...
I really should be more careful as it's my living, I've done gigs all bandaged up several times... dope!