Why become a member? ×

Stupid, self inflicted, bass-limiting injuries

mingsta

Hmmm.

Broke both my little fingers abseiling down a cliff on a darrrrk storrrrmy night (note to Kiwi - can I have a John Laurie smiley?) and had to play with them taped to the fingers next to them.

Sliced my left thumb down to the bone with a scalpel and had to have it stitched by the lead guitarist in the band I was in at the time.
If I was in a 'heavy' band then having blood running down your arm whilst playing might have been cool, but this was a folk band, and it wasn't.

Managed to catch a finger on my right hand in a table router and nearly lost it.
Not too bad because I still had the others, but it was uncomfortable.
I now have a finger with a decorative scroll edge.

I've usually got a broken, dented or botched bit about my person. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1360754864' post='1975807']
I'm the opposite I can't stand the sight of my own blood and I'm scared of power tools. I got a couple of big cuts during years working in restaurant kitchens and fainted each time! I donate blood regularly these days but once the needle goes in I don't look until it's come out again, I'd probably throw up.
[/quote]

I'm not too bad with my own, maybe 2 or 3 seconds of stunned inactivity while I decide what I'm going to do about it.

I'm fine with other peoples though.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1360701327' post='1975105']
I had to take 10 years off with a similar non sock related injury.
[/quote]

Been there and done that 30 years ago and still suffering, no wonder my chiropracter can afford to buy vintage Fender strats!!

I had a fight with the wardrobe door a couple of years ago. Caught it square with a big left hook. Would have been fine except I hit it right were there [i]was[/i]... nice little dainty porcelain handle, which broke off and flew across the room. Needless to say - it bloody hurt. For months. Very lucky it didn't do any more harm than bruise. Made rehearsal that night and for a few weeks after a rather painful affair too.

I'd had a particularly bad day. Our wardrobe doors a built into the wall - about 3ft up. Said door was open, I closed it over, bent down to pick something up off the floor, stood back up and cracked my head on the door that re-opened under it's own weight. I'd hit it before I had a chance to think. :rolleyes:

Edited by bigjohn

Mine are all woodwork related, as that's my day job. The worst was getting my thumb trapped in a thicknesser (thankfully not the sharp bit!) - it took a month or so to get the feeling back into my thumb.
When a Japanese saw sprang away from the wood and onto my knuckle, it swole up a treat. It was the index finger of the left hand, so I had a fun couple of weeks fretting without using the index finger.

Could have been much worse!

I heated up a couple of plates in the oven the other day, which is something I do regularly because our kitchen is always near freezing. I left the plates in a bit too long, grabbed them out of the oven and it took what seemed like a good few seconds to realise they were very hot, leaving me with large blisters on my index and middle finger tips of my fretting hand. Whoops! I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Broke my collarbone at croft racetrack and still managed to play that weekends gig, sat down . Five kinds of agony though. Broke my right foot and was black and blue all over from an off with castrol Honda. Still managed that gig - but a standing gig for some strange reason.

Broke my little finger mountain biking- that was a no show.

Stands to reason, the faster you go, the safer you are ( for gigging ).