Why become a member? ×

Quick & Dirty Poll on Band Name

molan

It has been, strongly, suggested that we name our new band Spinal Groove!

Obviously there's a tongue in cheek Spinal Tap reference and our aim is to try and play rockier stuff with a really solid 'groove' and some funkier re-arrangements.

It's all cover versions but, hopefully, not 'everyday' stuff, people like Lenny Kravitz, Little Feat, Joe Cocker, War, Bonnie Raitt, The Meters, Michael Jackson (!) etc.

There's also supposed to be some sort of reference to music making your spine tingle and making you want to dance :)

So what do people think?

Love it, hate it, sounds like a comedy band ? ? ?

Be as brutal as you like :)

Edited by molan

Going back into my distant past, and thinking of all the bands and groups that I've ever admired, liked or played in/with, I can't think of a single one with a name that was 'appropriate', or even any 'sense' at all. Too long a list; suffice it to say that the name is, imho, just about the last 'quality' to a band or group to worry about.
I may be alone, of course...

Edited by Dad3353

Sounds like a joke name tbh, but don't let that put you off. The 'Beatles' - what a terrible pun that is! They never got anywhere.

Edit: When you tell them, people will say, 'What - like Spinal Tap?' and that will get old real quick. IMHO. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1360175573' post='1966193']
Would I go to see a band with this name?? Probably not..not sure how others would feel...
[/quote]

I'm afraid I'd agree with this.

Edit - but to be fair if you'd caught me in a different mood I might have said how fun and good it is. Also, my band has a pretty random name and it doesn't seem to hurt us.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360179283' post='1966303']
The covered artists you mention were present in the age of the Spiral Groove though, so maybe change the name to that?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/spiralgroovewales"]http://www.myspace.com/spiralgroovewales[/url]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360179283' post='1966303']
Not keen, me.
I feel "Spinal" draws too strongly towards Spinal Tap, leaving "Groove" weakened.

The covered artists you mention were present in the age of the Spiral Groove though, so maybe change the name to that?

Radial Sulcus!

best,
bert
[/quote]

That was actually the first choice!

But, as Discreet points out it's been picked :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360179932' post='1966325']
Is this you? If not, that's name is taken. :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/bloodsweattones/spinal-groove-dont-look-for-me"]https://soundcloud.com/bloodsweattones/spinal-groove-dont-look-for-me[/url]
[/quote]

I did spot that but it just seems to be a name used for one song - plus he seems to be in Sweden so it's far enough away not to worry me :)

We'll only ever be playing pubs and clubs so no worries about recording rights.

To be honest my biggest concern is that someone I regard as being one of the best funk bass players in the world is coming along to our first gig (he's the guitarist's mate), lol.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1360180434' post='1966339']
I did spot that but it just seems to be a name used for one song - plus he seems to be in Sweden so it's far enough away not to worry me :)
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Wouldn't worry me, either. We had this whole band-naming thing recently and it's a right pain in the arse. Anything good is inevitably already taken. We had to practically think of a random sequence of words to avoid this. :)[/size]

Edited by discreet

As Bass Tractor points out , Spinal is too obvious a reference to Spinal Tap , and bands with the word Groove in the name ( or even description ) make me cringe a bit as it makes me imagine yet another "groovy " muso rearrangement and reinterpretation such hoary old classics such as Superstition and all those other predictable song choices . Bands that really are groovy don't have to draw attention to the fact in the name . I have got some fantastic band names stored up in my head for the right occasion , and I am willing to give you one if that is what it takes to save you from being in a band called Spinal Groove . Just give me the word and a truly memorable band name is yours to keep , my friend . But definitely [i]no[/i] to Spinal Groove .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360181370' post='1966367']
I have got some fantastic band names stored up in my head for the right occasion , and I am willing to give you one if that is what it takes to save you from being in a band called Spinal Groove . Just give me the word and a truly memorable band name is yours to keep , my friend . But definitely [i]no[/i] to Spinal Groove .
[/quote]

Johannesburg