Why become a member? ×

Bon Jovi Hyde Park Concert

seashell

A friend has asked me if I want to go along to see Bon Jovi at Hyde Park this summer.
Hmm, I'm not sure. Much as I am a bit of a headbanger, I was never hugely into those big 80's stadium rock bands.

But on the other hand sometimes a big live concert can be really enjoyable in itself. Or not.

What do you reckon, Basschatters? Has anyone seen them live recently? Is it an experience not to be missed?

Only seen their LIVE videos but I would say this should be a good gig.
They have a stadium set of tunes to get the crowd involved and the tunes are pretty decent as well.

Not a No 1 fan myself but the band will be good.
The only issue is how good is his voice these days... but the crowd will be singing those soaring parts anyway
and they ( the band ) will make a feature of it.

Will not be a bad gig, IMO..

I never liked them particularly, always thought they were a bit poppy, but at Mrs S's request went to see that film last year (year before?) that was a 'one night only' thing of them playing live somewhere or other. Or something like that. Anyway, against my better judgement I was really impressed. Jon BJ was superb, a little ball of energy, and his voice live was incredibly good. They have a few nice toons. It is only one night of your life - I'd go for it.

Saw them at Donington ( mismatch!) how could they top the same bil as metallica/wasp/anthax??
1 and only time i saw loads of screaming teenage girlsor younger at a gig. Bit like when beatles started out.

Saw them on bbc iplayer last year(i think) . No communication with other band members, just ' look at me' .
Very plastic sincerity.Lack of warmth etc.

I used to be a big fan, saw them a few times during the 90's/early 2000's but the last gig i saw them at was Hyde Park. This was my first time seeing a band there and really hated it.
The park is of course flat, so although im just over 6ft my GF isnt, and she had a hard time trying to see the band on stage over other peoples shoulders. Everyone around us was singing along, but as she was below most of them all she could here was a lot of out of tune wailing.
The band themselves were a bit of a let down. Too quiet, not really putting on a performance like they used to (just T-shirts and jeans etc) and promoting the latest album, which IIR was just some MOR tosh.

A few weeks later i went and saw a tribute band, and they blew BJ off stage as far as im concerned. They played all the hits, the songs people actually wanted to hear, and played them very well. Did all the costume changes and dressing up etc as well.

I am still a fan of Bon Jovi but think they have had their day now. The most pleasure i get is listening to Hugh McDonald bass lines, i love his playing, and i thought his tone on One wild night was amazing.

As others have said, they are extremely professional, and a very good tight band. JBJ is excellent at getting the crowd going, and there back catalogue is basically big song after big song. I saw them in 2000 (or around then) at Hampden, and they were incredible! He's not the singer he was I dont think though. They're a touch on the MOR side for my liking these days, but if I got a free ticket I would still go.

It wont be like this though unfortunately..... haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68m7K0VDbNE

Was in Vienna a few years ago with a day off, Bon Jovi happened to be in town - got taken along to the show. Unfortunately for Jon Bon Jovi the guests on that bill were a Swiss rock band called 'Gotthard', who happen to have a very strong singer - JBJ sounded like a weak choir-boy in comparison.
Had a great time... but hated Bon Jovi.

Edited by SteveK

Many thanks for the input guys! A range of opinions of course, but all useful.

I've decided not to go for it in the end. I think what mainly put me off is what Dave said about the difficulty of getting a good view at Hyde Park.
I'd probably take a punt if it was a bit cheaper or a bit nearer to me, but to travel down to that Lunnon and then not be able to see anything has put me off a bit.

Now I'v just got to think of a nice way of telling my friend.. :huh:

I saw them at the MK Bowl years ago and it was a good show but I think they have well peaked by now though they will put on a good professional show. MK isn't that huge a venue so didn't feel too remote, never seen a band in Hyde Park so have to go on what Dave says wrt poor view.
Anyway with the money you will save Shell you can catch a whole bunch of decent acts at somewhere like the Robin2 which can't be too far away from you?

Yeah, i saw them at MK as well. It wasn't a bad gig but i agree, they have had their day. Still a great band though.

The first time i saw them was during the Capt. America period, when JBJ would fly over the audience in a very 80's over the top way lol.

As i said ive only been to one Hyde park gig so maybe things have improved when it comes to seeing the stage, but it makes sense that if its on the flat its going to be challenging to see for some. They do of course have large screens but thats not quite the same.

Jovi are awesome live. I saw them in hyde park back in around 2003/2004 and the band "live" supported. Really good. Jovi played over a 3 hr set which is incredible thinking of the vocal range he has to perform and his age.

I saw them at coventry and Nickleback supported them which was pretty nice. they get loads of grief but are a decent stadium band as well. they even covered cowboys from hell!!!!!!

Do it, go and see them, they wont fail to impress, and the crowd will be full to the brim of cracking birds desperate to get in jovi's pants. So get the old blond wig, 30 inch waist 501s, and denim cut off waitcoat out and party!!!!

Edited by wally8

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1360231405' post='1966968']
Jovi are awesome live. I saw them in hyde park back in around 2003/2004 and the band "live" supported. Really good. Jovi played over a 3 hr set which is incredible thinking of the vocal range he has to perform and his age.

I saw them at coventry and Nickleback supported them which was pretty nice. they get loads of grief but are a decent stadium band as well. they even covered cowboys from hell!!!!!!

Do it, go and see them, they wont fail to impress, and the crowd will be full to the brim of cracking birds desperate to get in jovi's pants. So get the old blond wig, 30 inch waist 501sm, and denim cut off waitcoat out and party!!!!
[/quote]

You do realise that the OP is not a man dont you ;-)

I think we might have been at the same Hyde Park gig. Was that when they played Lola with Ray Davis?

EDIT: I see you do, ignore the first bit :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1360231544' post='1966974']
You do realsie that the OP is not a man dont you ;-)

I think we might have been at the same Hyde Park gig. Was that when they played Lola with Ray Davis?
[/quote]

Yeah, i think they did play Lola. amazing day out. i really liked Live before going as well so that was a treat. their throwing copper album is a goodun

I was a mega fan of jovi in the slippery, faith, jersey days. Then they released These days which is a utter masterpiece and then went down hill from there IMO

I've seen them twice and they put on a great show both times.

Bands like Bon Jovi are in a different league when it comes to touring, they're pretty relentless and are always playing. They'll come round again you can be sure of that. If it were me I'd go see them, just not at Hyde park if it's going to be a hassle.

The last time I saw them it was in Punchestown, and we were nice and early so were very close to the front. During the support act, it became apparent that we were going to be crushed by the two drunk heifers beside us, or involved in a scuffle of some description. Needless to say we were very uncomfortable, so we moved waaay back to right beside the sound desk. We could sit down until they came on, then when they came on we could hear everything the way it was supposed to sound (because the guy mixing it was standing 6 ft away). Hugely enjoyable show, and long story short, we were comfortable and content so we had a great time.

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1360231714' post='1966981']
Yeah, i think they did play Lola. amazing day out. i really liked Live before going as well so that was a treat. their throwing copper album is a goodun

I was a mega fan of jovi in the slippery, faith, jersey days. Then they released These days which is a utter masterpiece and then went down hill from there IMO
[/quote]

Ah yes, Live. I remember really liking them as well, i think i went and got their album the next day (i did the same with The Dan Reed network after they supported BJ a few years earlier). As i said in my first post i thought BJ were quite lacking compared to the earlier gigs but maybe it was also the fact that Hyde Park was not a good place to see them for me.
Like you i was a big fan during the early years, but i can take them or leave them now but i do enjoy the old songs still. Loved their version of Dont like Mondays with God Geldof.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1360232096' post='1966989']
Ah yes, Live. I remember really liking them as well, i think i went and got their album the next day (i did the same with The Dan Reed network after they supported BJ a few years earlier). As i said in my first post i thought BJ were quite lacking compared to the earlier gigs but maybe it was also the fact that Hyde Park was not a good place to see them for me.
Like you i was a big fan during the early years, but i can take them or leave them now but i do enjoy the old songs still. Loved their version of Dont like Mondays with God Geldof.
[/quote]

The best Gig i saw em at was when they just released These Days at Wembley in 1995 i think. They released a dvd of it. Ugly kid joe supported which was pretty cool in its day. they played dry county and dont like mondays for that gig. Mega. He has to be the best front man in hair/soft rock or whatever its called. His vocals on the slippery album for stuff like let it rock are amazing.

Yep, i was at that gig, definitely my fav as well. Although we lived in inner London me and the GF had a free nights stay in the Hilton through her company. We got totally wasted on the free bar before the gig. Good times.

I also saw a "secret" gig they did at the old Hammersmith Odeon. The stage was set up like an old western bar room and it was a very cozy feeling gig.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1360232830' post='1966998']
Yep, i was at that gig, definitely my fav as well. Although we lived in inner London me and the GF had a free nights stay in the Hilton through her company. We got totally wasted on the free bar before the gig. Good times.

I also saw a "secret" gig they did at the old Hammersmith Odeon. The stage was set up like an old western bar room and it was a very cozy feeling gig.
[/quote]

That sounds amazing. The small gigs are the best. Totally different but seeing machine head at the astoria and opeth at rockcity had a nice close up feeling.