Why become a member? ×

Would you send a new bass back if...

basskit_case

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360104079' post='1965014']
I would wonder how a saddle screw had fallen out
[/quote]

Me too, and the damage to the gig bag makes me wonder if something has happened to the bass either in the shop or in transit that might present further problems down the line. I don't know what and I may be worrying about nothing, but just think I would prefer either swap for a new one or get a refund and try to make a purchase in person somewhere.

I'd certainly contact the shop if you are not happy.
I had a bass from Electro Music in the late '90s and the hard case arrived with a big dent and
crack in it (the bass was fine). A phoned them up,and the next morning a courier turned up
with a new case and took the old one back-Brilliant.
Having said that,if it had been a cheapish gigbag I wouldn't have bothered-depends what it is.

If the saddle screw is easy enough to put back (it should be) and the rest of the bass is fine and you're
happy with it,then I wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1360104295' post='1965016']
Me too, and the damage to the gig bag makes me wonder if something has happened to the bass either in the shop or in transit that might present further problems down the line. I don't know what and I may be worrying about nothing, but just think I would prefer either swap for a new one or get a refund and try to make a purchase in person somewhere.
[/quote] well you can check most things so it's up to you to work out. I'm more interested as to how a saddle screw can fall out, ive not heard of that - unless it's been shipped without strings?
Also depends what value the bass and case is - if it's a £100 bass with a £10 case- maybe not worth it, if it's a Fodera with a top of the range padded case....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360104542' post='1965022']
well you can check most things so it's up to you to work out. I'm more interested as to how a saddle screw can fall out, ive not heard of that - unless it's been shipped without strings?
Also depends what value the bass and case is - if it's a £100 bass with a £10 case- maybe not worth it, if it's a Fodera with a top of the range padded case....
[/quote]

Its the Nate Mendel Sig, so the gig bag is not exactly top of the range. There are strings on it, the screw can be put back part of the way by hand so nothing obviously mechanically wrong.

Not worth the trouble for a cheap gig bag. The saddle screw is a very minor thing that can be put right by a blind donkey. I would put it down to experience and possibly not use the same company again. You may be able to leave a bad review online somewhere which would help others in the future.

Edited by lettsguitars

If the bass is a player, then no, for that I wouldn`t send it back. If however it wasn`t then it`s a good reason to get a swap and see if the next one is better.

Re the gig-bag, well I think I would send that back, yes they`re not the greatest of gig-bags, but still, you`re paying for new, you should get it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360107862' post='1965094']
If the bass is a player, then no, for that I wouldn`t send it back. If however it wasn`t then it`s a good reason to get a swap and see if the next one is better.

Re the gig-bag, well I think I would send that back, yes they`re not the greatest of gig-bags, but still, you`re paying for new, you should get it.
[/quote]

Spot on Mr Lozz ! that would be my take on the matter too.

I would send the gig bag back, or ask for a courier swapover. Best quality or not, you paid for a gig bag thats[b] free from defects [/b]and thats exactly what you should get. They can claim off the courier/Fender anyway.

If the saddle screw is there, and you can put the bridge back together easily and the intonation is ok afterwards, I wouldnt bother.