Why become a member? ×

May have bitten off more than I can chew

KevB

Made separate enquiries about 2 bands recently having not gigged for a year or so. Band 1 eventually gets back to me and arranges for an audition/jam which should have taken place the weekend just gone. Unfortunately it had to be cancelled as band leader got called in to work. Rearranged for next Sat with 15 songs to learn. Then on Sat band 2 gets in touch, they still haven't got a bass player either. Not only this but they are booked to do a full gig on Sat night! I now have a further set list of 33 songs to learn by next Sat. So I will be in an audition all Sat afternoon with band 1 then dashing off to do what is essentially an audition for band 2 by playing a full gig with people I've never met before nor have any youtube clips etc to give me any idea of arrangements. Wish me luck!

Unfortuantely I'm at work all day during the week so no time to learn stuff until I get home in evenings. I'll only panic if the gig band suddnely pulls out the 'Actually we do this in a different key' at last minute. I'm not the best at instant transposing on stage unfortunately. I've asked for clarification on the keys of the 33 song set list but not heard anything back yet. What larks, Pip!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359374053' post='1953626']
Unfortuantely I'm at work all day during the week so no time to learn stuff until I get home in evenings. I'll only panic if the gig band suddnely pulls out the 'Actually we do this in a different key' at last minute. I'm not the best at instant transposing on stage unfortunately. I've asked for clarification on the keys of the 33 song set list but not heard anything back yet. What larks, Pip!
[/quote]
I've had that, it's not a fun place to be; however I think you'll probably be fine - just break down the set-lists into smaller chunks to make them more manageble, you'll have a busy week and odds are you wont learn everything perfectly but you'll get 'close enough' on the vast majority of it.

Good luck with getting it all nailed , but I think they are both taking the mick TBH , I'm with Les on the audition thing , and why on earth would band 2 leave it so late to make a call , and even then it sounds like you are effectivelly depping for a non existing player

I've never heard of anyone wanting someone to learn 15 songs for an audition?

May need to watch out that the other band are just trying to get a dep in for one night. Do you already know them?

If they are remotely serious and, possibly more important in the long run, professional, then they should let you have copies of the set list with any arrangements that differ from originals.

I always give full details of any songs for auditions with arrangements and MP3's in the correct key as a matter of course. It's really not very hard to do given the number of free programmes out there to adjust keys etc.

Obviously having fun is the most important thing but I'd definitely make sure I was really happy with each band before making this sort of commitment :)

Who does 15 numbers for an audition?

What band plays 33 numbers on a gig?

I'd tell Band 1 you'll learn 3 numbers for the audition and ask Band 2 how they're managing to pack in more than 20 numbers on a gig!

Both bands sound a bit MMouse to me.

I depped for a band. They supplied no set list which is just not professional. When I eventually got to the gig I said I could play 25 of the 40 or so songs. The guitarist says to me "Do you know any Neil Diamond'" and I said "nope". He then steps up to the microphone and announces " This songs by Neil Diamond".

Duh!

In situations like that I just turn my volume down, pretend I'm actually playing, smile, take the money and run.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1359426346' post='1954669']
I depped for a band. They supplied no set list which is just not professional. When I eventually got to the gig I said I could play 25 of the 40 or so songs. The guitarist says to me "Do you know any Neil Diamond'" and I said "nope". He then steps up to the microphone and announces " This songs by Neil Diamond".

Duh!

In situations like that I just turn my volume down, pretend I'm actually playing, smile, take the money and run.
[/quote]
Similar story but I was singing at the time. Very embarrassing having to make up words for 20+ songs. I even got the chorus wrong on some songs. It was about 19 yrs ago and I still cringe when I think about it.

Where's everyones sense of adventure?
Turning up to a gig with a good handle on the set is just soooo dull.

Nothing fires the blood and reminds you you're alive like hearing the singer mutter
"Oh I changed the key on this one"
as the drummer is on the 3 of the count in :D

I also love the impromptu pulling of a song you don't know out of someones arse, usually accompanied by the sage advice
"12 bar in A, country feel, watch for the changes cos there's a weird bit in the middle"
:D

[quote name='johnny_frog' timestamp='1359444444' post='1954730']
Where's everyones sense of adventure?
Turning up to a gig with a good handle on the set is just soooo dull.

Nothing fires the blood and reminds you you're alive like hearing the singer mutter
"Oh I changed the key on this one"
as the drummer is on the 3 of the count in :D

I also love the impromptu pulling of a song you don't know out of someones arse, usually accompanied by the sage advice
"12 bar in A, country feel, watch for the changes cos there's a weird bit in the middle"
:D
[/quote]

that may be OK for a gash pub gig where youre only getting enough pay for your petrol and two pints of lager and a packet of crisps

its a slightly different issue if its a function band playing a wedding or big private party where you have been hired on a significant fee and are expected to put on a slick and competent performance

Sounds similar to what I've just done, but for one band and 37 tracks.

Depends really, I looked at it as a challenge and that drove me to nail it. I like being pushed and challenged and that's what did it for me. The gigs will be an interesting way of being dropped in. Just relax, take it easy and remember the right song for the right set.

Good luck and have fun,

James

Thanks for the good luck wishes, to address some of the comments I've seen;
To be fair band 1 gave me the strong indication that as long as I knew the stuff they would probably take me on. However learning their 15 song list has currently taken a back seat in favour of the 33 song set since I will be gigging that set rather than just jamming through it as an audition. They only started gigging last summer and still go out with other bands as a package and they have 5 members so I can't see much if any money in it so I won't be gutted if it doesn't work out, they are all half my age anyway and do it more as a social thing which I'm hardly going to fit into. I'm planning to turn up, maybe do a couple of hours with them and leave them to make a decision. I doubt we will tackle all 15 songs so some will be given a cursory look over on Fri night
Band 2 is the busier of the two, much longer established but is more of a functions band hence they have had lots of lineup changes through the years revolving round the band leader. I don't think he's sack happy, people just tend to move on more with those types of bands. The 33 song set looked too much to me at first but it features a lot of short pop stuff and compiling the list from my itunes library the actual running time fits pretty close to what he was expecting the gig to be (45 min first set, an hour for the second) so I think about 30 of the 33 is quite feasible for the time slot. I think they are pretty slick, not a lot of gaps between the songs. Speaking to him on the phone he seems decent enough and has now provided any key changes from originals and it wasn't many at all (about 4 of the 33) which was useful for me. I think he had pretty much come to the conclusion that they would have to pull out of Sat's gig and I wasn't pressured into taking it on in any way. I thought it would be in my favour as a potential candidate for the bass spot if I could turn it round for them and make the gig happen so it's really of my own doing.
Sorry if this is rambling, was up till gone midnight trying to get a half decent version of 'Going Underground' under control.

Edited by KevB