Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass upgrading recommendations?

soul deluxe

im thinking of upgrading my 75 ri jazz... i like the sound of this bass but i was thinking about putting in some Lindy Fralins and a preamp of some kind, to give it some serious punch.., the obvious ones i guess are the east or the audere.. are there any others.. i had a glockenklang pre in another bass and loved it but not sure i want to route this bass... i would really like to switch from active to passive, and also a very clean active sound

the fralins are the pickup i want, but preamp wise are there any other options.?

Edited by soul deluxe

There are numerous preamps on the market nowadays , but I honestly don't think you have to look much further than the East J Retro for your Jazz Bass . It's the best preamp for a Fender -style bass I have ever heard - much better than the Audere to my taste - and easy to fit as well . The passive switching is good on it too , so it seems to tick all the4 boxes you require . Partner that preamp with some Fralins and you should have a pretty epic sounding Jazz Bass ! You could spend a long time looking at alternatives , the the East is difficult to better , in my opinion . Nicely made with great after - sales service too..

[list=1]
[*]Replace the neck pickup with a split-P, ideally by Fralin.
[*]Remove the redundant bridge pickup.
[*]Use a router to remove the unnecessary bits of body that add so much weight.
[*]Replace the "Jazz" decal with one that says "Precision".
[/list]
Sorted. :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359361685' post='1953407']
[list=1]
[/list]
[/quote]

You are a rotter, Jack.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1359361685' post='1953407'][list=1]
[/list]
[/quote]
and then one of these...

http://youtu.be/bRKwHe5ZkZc

;)

If you are open to other brands of pickup then I would also recommend the DiMarzio Super Jazz as a slightly "hotter " and more agressive ( in a good way ) sounding alternative to the vintage style Fralins . You could try changing the pickups and then see if you thought a preamp was still neccesary . Another powerful sounding Jazz pickup to consider is the Aero Type 1 . Both that and the DiMarzio have a big bold sound with high output .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359378640' post='1953739']
You could try changing the pickups and then see if you thought a preamp was still neccesary .
[/quote]

+1 don't do too much at once

I've loved the 75ri's ive played, but the construction and pups does make it a bit thin sounding to someone who learned with a P bass like me... but you say you love the tone... but want more punch... so maybe the preamp is the way to go. Personally if I were you I would look at East retro and an Aguilar OBP1... or actually just an external Aguilar or sadowsky preamp pedal...

EDIT: out of interest, what is your amp?

Edited by LukeFRC

I agree - if you like the tone a J-Retro pre-amp will expand upon what is already there. There is one for sale at the moment in the classifieds. Look at new pups if this doesn't do the job, but I think it probably will.

I have had a couple of issues with a P-retro recently and I would like to say how helpful John has been. Top bloke.

Edited by Paul S

Agree, I think I`d do some pickup research before adding anything else. Change of pickups can/will greatly change a bass/guitar. In my old Aerodyne I swapped the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack. Was much the same sound, but fuller, plus was hum-cancelling. Not had any myself, but if I had a Jazz, not liking too much top-end, I think I`d, from reviews and comments on here, check out Wizard 64s.