Why become a member? ×

How many of us are Band Taxis?

vmaxblues

I use err indoors car to get too and from rehearsals. I work from home so rarely have use for one except for this. Which sometimes makes to gigs awkward. Especially if she wants to come and there's no room in her car... ;) So I tend try to be diplomatic about it and cadge lifts where possible and if they're local enough, use taxis.

On the other hand... on the odd occasion when I need a lift to rehearsal, the buggers make me get buses here there and everywhere before they pick me up, whilst when I give lifts I do door to door. Swine that they are.

These sorts of things are not to do with the extra effort, as it sounds like you'd be prepared for that, more not wanting to be taken for granted, or that people are taking the mickey. Only you can answer that, its your relationships.

I suppose you can judge by how grateful they are, whether there's an occasional pint for the effort etc. Is there a petrol money issue?

I know a drummer who insists on petrol money if he's taxi-ing band members, could be considered a bit petty but its ok as those he ferries are clear and understand. Trouble is there's no kindness involved.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1359015996' post='1948408']
............................my guitarist picks me and my gear up for practice and gigs. I always buy him a Red Bull (his favourite) as he won't accept petrol money.[/quote]
Always very commendable - and as much as you can do in the circumstances ........ or

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1359028358' post='1948610']I know a drummer who insists on petrol money if he's taxi-ing band members, could be considered a bit petty but its ok as those he ferries are clear and understand.[/quote]

^this.
either is better than religiously offering petrol money, always having it refused but find yourself being slagged behind your back.

I think it must be a bass player thing, would you say we maybe all slightly pragmatic in our approach to things as well as playing an instrument that is part of the foundation of the band/music etc.
I remember many moons ago when I was but a mere boy of 17 I hadn’t passed my driving test but we use to rehearse out the back of one of the local pubs.
It was I the bass player who use to have to borrow my dads van so that the keyboardist who had a license could drive it, we would then fill the van with all our kit, and the keyboardist and drummer would sit in the front, and I would walk/ run to and from the practice room, go figure!
Perhaps I just have T**T written on my forehead! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1359023585' post='1948511']
I'm not one of those people. I carry my gear down two flights of stairs from my flat, and back up again at the end. I load it in to the car (except the cab, because the guitarist would rather he do that). And I help carry his gear in to the venue. Definitely don't "sit with my feet up"!

I always offer a cut of my gig takings, and I always offer to pay for his share of rehearsal, and I offer fuel money, and he always declines. I buy him a drink each time because that's all he'll accept. He's a great guy.

Oh, and I buy him a Christmas present to say thanks at the end of the year :)
[/quote]My post was mostly tongue-in-cheek...
Although, I often wonder how the drummer in my band, who's played with the likes of Jeff Beck, Go West, Tears for Fears, Pretenders, Paul Rodgers, Paul Jackson, Magnum amongst others, got by without ever driving... guess he must be quite good ;)

Unfortunately , I cannot drive. I have as small a rig as possible.
In my previous bands, mr guitar( then mr drums after he quit )used to give me a lift. I always offered a soft drink or cash. Now and again a oft drink was accepted.There were occasions where I would be excluded from get togethers because of this .
I would use public transport wherever necessary.
I didn't like being a hinderance, but it was either that or no band.

Sometimes I wish I lived in central London like I used to.

for practices i'm the taxi, we're a three piece, the drummer can't drive (not sure i'd trust him behind the wheel!) and our guitarist/vocalist can drive but his only vehicle is a pickup truck with a tiny cab and no load cover so not great if it's raining! (it's his company vehicle and usually full of tree trimmings and dirt anyway)

i don't mind for the practices as they're on my way and the others pay for the drinks and snacks at half time.

for gigs we split gear between my car (driven by my wife) and the singers girlfriends car (driven by it's owner as the singer isn't insured to drive it)

i'm pretty lucky as my band is made of 3 great friends so it's not a chore.

Matt

We rehearse in a place with a reasonable drum kit, guitar cabs and bass rig, so driving in to rehearse isn't an absolute necessity (most of the guys do though). For gigging, however, I specifically bought a Mitsubishi Delica (van-sized car with six seats or four seats and tons of load room) to cut down on mileage in multiple cars. Works out okay (except that I'm the mug paying for MOT / tax / repairs on it, but I guess I'd be doing that on a car anyway) - because it's classed as a car rather than a van for insurance purposes, all of the rest of the guys can drive it on their own fully-comp insurance which means that I'm not stuck being the only one who can't have a drink / the one who gets home after dropping EVERYONE else off.

Well worth it IMO, don't know how we could tour without it.

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1359029858' post='1948641']
I think it must be a bass player thing, would you say we maybe all slightly pragmatic in our approach to things as well as playing an instrument that is part of the foundation of the band/music etc.
[/quote]

Just we're more grown up?

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359026859' post='1948575']
I once got told that I didn't get the bassist spot in a band I auditioned for because I 'don't have a van'...you can imagine my reply I'm sure <_<
[/quote]

I heard a story that, the fact that he had a van, was the reason Bill Wyman got the the job with The Rolling Stones.

Sounds plausible?

I'm in an odd situation.
Our band are split in 2 locations. I'm in cambridge. Everyone else is in Downham Market)
Our keyboard player has a van. but it only has 3 seats. (5 in band) so we almost always end up with 3 vehicles if we aren't taking our soundman to a gig. (We'd prefer to take as few as possible) I almost always have to drive hte furthest due to the drummer booking gigs in norfolk, so always feel the short straw.
OTOH, we have a 1/2 split in the gig fund that means that people who drive the most get some money. So say 60 quid in the petrol fund, if i drive 100 miles with 1 person, they drive 50 miles, 2 cars, 3 in one and 1 in the other, then I get 20 quid, whoever drives the van 30, and 10 for the other car.

Complicated, but useful!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1359036163' post='1948777']
I heard a story that, the fact that he had a van, was the reason Bill Wyman got the the job with The Rolling Stones.

Sounds plausible?
[/quote]

I think the reason was that he had an amp. In fact Keef wanted to pinch it.

Wyman pulled a masterstroke by claiming that unless he sat up front in the van, he puked. They didn't suss his ruse for years.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1359034735' post='1948745']because it's classed as a car rather than a van for insurance purposes, all of the rest of the guys can drive it on their own fully-comp insurance[/quote]

You sure? Loaning cars can be a minefield. Google IN10 and IN12. Don't ask me how I know. :(