Why become a member? ×

How many of us are Band Taxis?

vmaxblues

I am just curious, because in my main band for the last 9 years I have ended up running the guitarist and his kit around for every practise and gig. My second project band has me doing the same for the drummer.

The singer in our 5 piece (main band) is retiring and we have decided to be a 4 piece, trouble is the keyboard player doesn't drive and has heaps of kit who the singer used to cart around and I can see what is coming on the horizon....

My question is: I am just a mug or does this happen to any of you too?

I have a six seat car (Multipla) which has the back seats permanently out because of all this, and should I just buy a car that is just big enough for my kit? or better still just say, 'sort your own s**t out boys'.

Edited by vmaxblues

I'm on the other end. I can't currently afford to run a car, so my guitarist picks me and my gear up for practice and gigs. I always buy him a Red Bull (his favourite) as he won't accept petrol money.

I'm extremely grateful to him, as I wouldn't be able to be in a band if it weren't for him.

Always two sides to every story :)

When we gig, I also own all the lights too, so have all that to cart too, I just wonder what it must be like, just to take bass gear and me to a gig and back again, would seem so easy!

Evil Undead, I'm not necessarily saying its a bad thing, and in the main I really don't mind, but as thumperbob said it is amazing how quickly these things can be taken for granted.

I was curious, because it is often the bass player in a band who takes a lot of the responsibility.

Plumbob, good to hear from another Herefordian low ender!

That's how i started playing bass. I was the "roadie" (only one they knew with a van who didn't drink) for one of my local bands. Then became their sound man, before borrowing a bass as I wanted to learn an instrument. Couple of years later, the bassist didn't turn up for a gig after going on one of his manic depressive smack binges, so I had to jump in a do the gig. Luckilly the set was your basic beatles style covers so was pretty easy to sit down with the guitarist and a bit of paper writing down the chords, and as i'd been doing the sound for a couple of years I knew the songs by ear inside out. They dumped the bass player, and I took over.
The latest band, 3 of us live within 300 yards of each other so it's pretty easy and doesn't really put me out. Only problem is getting all the gear into a scenic which is why i dont have to do it that often!

My Old Moan. I'm with Jack. :(
My wife’s wheels for the last decade and more has been a VW Transporter, she loves it bless her, she can’t tell a BMW from a Porsche :D

Most gigs it is our gear so fair cop but occasional drummer on long hauls. But when our [b]LAST guitarist[/b] sold his car and just assumed he would be getting lifts, you know him bad back; have to ask him to get on the other end of everything.
Ya him, well he didn't last long after that. I've had years of it first there, last home, you do have to stand back and wait for others to step up sometimes. It’s just the Bass player is naturally the nicest guy in the Band, we need to get real if not get mad sometimes

I have beem the driver of communal transport in the past (when the band at the time owned or leased a van). I now cart round the drummer but it's a price worth paying as he's so good and chatting to him helps keep me awake on long journeys home.

He always comes up with some money for fuel and so I don't begrudge the lift (he's only about 5 minutes from home as well).

Good shout earlier, I think we bass players tend to be nice folk. After all, the job is to make the others sound better than they actually are and so it just becomes second nature.

I,m quite lucky in respect that all the band members drive, and have their own transport. Having said that. the singer is only 10 minutes up the road from me and for longer distances I usually pick him up. Its amazing what I can get in my little Fiesta!!

Very much the muggins here.
I don't give lifts but once they are all at the room It's my van with the gear in and I drive there and back every time.
I pre pack the PA before every gig, and set it back up again before the next rehearsal.
I also do the sound, maintenance, buying and selling of PA gear,and the lights with any (brain melting)DMX programming.Also programming for backing tracks and any recording for website demos/videos,rehearsal room cleaning and maintenance and deal with the landlord.
About the only thing I don't do it get bookings.
Yes, it gets bloody annoying sometimes when the rest turn up like deadheads wondering why you're a bit stressed,but I treat this as a small business and do the jobs that need doing rather than chuck the tiara.
I'm constantly trying to delegate various jobs,not so much to lighten my load but to get others more interested in the running of the band.
As a side note the singer always used to blag lifts off the last drummer, then when the drummer left he blagged the guitarist. He also has a variation on the Bad Back.He has a Bad Knee. sniff.
After them both arriving late at a Liverpool gig because the guitarist had to go from Wigan to Warrington to Liverpool, (we are based in Manchester btw so this meant myself and the drummer had to do the load out by ourselves),I lost it and told them to sort it out.
The guitarist and singer came in the next day looking hot and bothered and from that day on, no more lifts and no more going straight to the gig while others do the lifting.
It used to shock me how lazy some musos are, but now I just put the foot down and take no prisoners.
Also, if you are the taxi, then you get paid for it, not much, but def fuel and mebbe something to help with the maintenance of the vehicle.
You are after all, wearing your stuff out, to put money in their pockets.
Simple miso rule.
Do it once, it's a favour and they appreciate it.
Do it twice and it's still cool.
Do it thrice and its simply your job and nobody cares until you don't do it and they get upset.

Blimey, rant over, think you hit a nerve :)

Edited by Monckyman

Monckyman, great rant and you are absolutely right with what you say, love your final paragraph, totally true.

And yes, I agree bass players do tend to be nice folks, and helpful, but perhaps you guys are right, perhaps we need to get a little tougher.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1359015996' post='1948408']
I'm on the other end. I can't currently afford to run a car, so my guitarist picks me and my gear up for practice and gigs. I always buy him a Red Bull (his favourite) as he won't accept petrol money.

I'm extremely grateful to him, as I wouldn't be able to be in a band if it weren't for him.

[b]Always two sides to every story [/b] :)
[/quote]
You're absolutely correct:
On one side, you have someone that saves a fortune on the cost of buying a car, the cost of running it, can sit sit with his feet up 'till his chauffeur arrives, always has another pair of hands available, can relax in the car until he arrives at his destination.

On the other side, you have someone that spends a fortune on buying a car, running it, always has to leave home earlier to allow for his detour, will invariably load and unload the gear for fear of damage to his motor.
;)

I know a few musicians that have been in the business for many years that don't drive. One, being a drummer who lives in the west country, has played with many of the biggest names and is currently working in Abbey Road studios. I can't imagine the hassle that he, and others, must have had getting himself and his kit around.

Edited by SteveK

We use a points system that works really well, where after we all take a basic "wage" from each gig, the rest is put into a pot to divvy up after expenses at the end of the year based on the number of points each member has accrued. You can award points for whatever you want (we have a point for being at the gear load into the van, one for set up and sound check and one for unloading at 3.00 o'clock in the morning at my garage), so driving, collecting band members etc could be added as well to suit your needs. No arguing, you dont feel guilty if you miss a load in once in a while and the ones that do the most work get rewarded for it.

My drummer and I take it in turn to cart each other about, we always help each other in with our gear and chip in to get each other set up as quickly as possilbe...even the singers help out with setting up and packing down the drums!

Owning a Land Rover (which I'm about to swap for a Navara) means I sometimes get stuck with the gear. Then again, guitarist1 has a Berlingo estate/minubus/van thing, the drummer a HUGE Ford estate, and guitarist2 and singer both drive and have decent cars. So I do make sure that everyone else gets stuck with the gear to.

It's easy to sort it out sometimes. I hate the Land Rover on the motorway for instance and me and guitarist one both have to drive past our practice space in order to get to a regular gig we do in Blyth. So in return for him taking me in his van for free I help him load all of his stuff into the van at the practice space and unload after. I also never carry the PA (at least not when it's all in one place) because I'm the only one who can set it up and I'm the quickest to set up my rig too. It's all about sharing out duties surely?

On another note: How the hell does the though process work where you think "I'd really like to join a band!" and you don't have transport? It's just stupid. Not being able to get to gigs or practices or auditions is as bad as not having an instrument.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1359022099' post='1948486']

On one side, you have someone that saves a fortune on the cost of buying a car, the cost of running it, can sit sit with his feet up 'till his chauffeur arrives, always has another pair of hands available, can relax in the car until he arrives at his destination.

[/quote]

I'm not one of those people. I carry my gear down two flights of stairs from my flat, and back up again at the end. I load it in to the car (except the cab, because the guitarist would rather he do that). And I help carry his gear in to the venue. Definitely don't "sit with my feet up"!

I always offer a cut of my gig takings, and I always offer to pay for his share of rehearsal, and I offer fuel money, and he always declines. I buy him a drink each time because that's all he'll accept. He's a great guy.

Oh, and I buy him a Christmas present to say thanks at the end of the year :)

In The Daves, we all make our own way to rehersals, and for gigs, everyone except the drummer - as his car is full of drums - meets at the guitarists house to load the pa equally amongst our cars.

In The Tuesday Club, same again for practices. If gigging at venues with house PA, we try, where possible, to take it in turns to drive, and minimise costs. If using our own pa, as my gear is quite small, I head over to the drummers house, whose pa it is, and bung the monitors in my car.

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1359014636' post='1948390']
I am just curious, because in my main band for the last 9 years I have ended up running the guitarist and his kit around for every practise and gig. My second project band has me doing the same for the drummer.

The singer in our 5 piece (main band) is retiring and we have decided to be a 4 piece, trouble is the keyboard player doesn't drive and has heaps of kit who the singer used to cart around and I can see what is coming on the horizon....

My question is: I am just a mug or does this happen to any of you too?

I have a six seat car (Multipla) which has the back seats permanently out because of all this, and should I just buy a car that is just big enough for my kit? or better still just say, 'sort your own s**t out boys'.
[/quote]

I'd rather play in a band with a really good drummer with no car, than a crap drummer who drives a removal van. I figured this out a long time ago and have no problem carting our (carless) drummer around.

My brother in law, who also plays in a band professionally, is always moaning that he has to drive his drummer to gigs. So much so, that he is talking about getting a smaller car so he has no room for his gear and the drummers. I explained my theory to him but he disagrees. He's much rather a crap drummer with a driving licence than a great drummer he has to cart around everywhere.

Edit : But of course he is a guitarist so is pretty high maintenance at the best of times.

Edited by gjones