Why become a member? ×

Cheap overdrive/distortion recommendations

Lozz196

Says it all really, in my punk covers band we do Ace of Spades, and whilst I love my Precision/Markbass sound, the beginning of that song just needs some dirt.

But for one song only, I don`t want expensive dirt, any economical recommendations?

I also don`t want mega-distrortion, the amount Lemmy uses is too much for me, so I`m probably looking at some overdrive.

If it's cheap you want then you could do worse than buy my Behringer Bass Overdrive! Handy little thing and it has a blend control, can't go wrong really.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194864-a-few-cheap-pedals/page__p__1908571#entry1908571"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194864-a-few-cheap-pedals/page__p__1908571#entry1908571[/url]

I've been thru the mill with overdrives - from a SanaAmp, to a Tech21 Leeds, to using a blend pedal with a BassPod, to .... and honestly the most satisfying pedal I've used is a £30 Harley Benton 'American Sound' pedal - reported to be a clone of a Tech21 Blonde pedal, which itself is a Fender Bassman clone. From all things Motown to early Gene Simmons (check out 'She' or 'Watchin' You') to all out fuzz - this thing makes me happy,

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1358526462' post='1940905']
I've been thru the mill with overdrives - from a SanaAmp, to a Tech21 Leeds, to using a blend pedal with a BassPod, to .... and honestly the most satisfying pedal I've used is a £30 Harley Benton 'American Sound' pedal - reported to be a clone of a Tech21 Blonde pedal, which itself is a Fender Bassman clone. From all things Motown to early Gene Simmons (check out 'She' or 'Watchin' You') to all out fuzz - this thing makes me happy,
[/quote]

Yeah, I forgot about those, good shout. They do a British ripoff as well I believe for more of a Marshall sound as well as what looks like a Sansamp BDDI/VT clone:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_american_truetone.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_britsh_truetone.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bdi2000.htm

Edited by dannybuoy

Another vote for either the BDI-21 or Bad Monkey. The DOD 250 is another to consider, though you'd be looking for something secondhand (or a clone).

I think the Harley Bentons mentioned above are the same as the Joyo offerings, although their OD/DI doesn't seem to actually be a clone of the BDDI from what I understand.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1358530730' post='1941024']
Yeh - I thought BDI-21 too, and hasn't Loz already got one?
[/quote]

Yes, but it seems to change the tone a fair bit, warming it up a lot. Was looking for something that kept the tone the same, but just added grit, but I spose for one song it`s not that much of a deal to change the tone a bit too.

• 2 weeks later...

Another +1 for the Bad Monkey. Bought one years ago for guitar, and now use it to just add a little grit on bass. Really versatile, and plays very well with picking dynamics.

I own a Jackhammer as well, but I've never got a useable tone out of it. Sounds pretty good going via Line6 Toneport into a PC, but every amp I've plugged it into has just produced a horrible farty noise. Does make me wonder if there's something wrong with it.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1358693300' post='1943423']
James Lomenzo from Ashdown is a great pedal. I just got one, and it has a lot of versatility to it.

Also the BDDI. I I might be getting one, in which case I might let the ashdown go.
[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't call either of these 'cheap' drive pedals!

You fancy my EHX Muff Overdrive? Bored of it and it plays weird with my power supply, not an issue if you just want the one pedal. £20 :)

If you're crazy enough to want it then I use a Mooer Green Mile for an always-on subtle drive for 'no amp' gigs when I miss having my amp and a DOD 250 for actual overdrive.

Having shamelessly tried (unsuccesfully) to flog you my Behringer Bass Overdrive, I must now add my support to the Lomenzo Hyperdrive.

I used mine at practice for the first time last night and previously usually only kicked an overdrive on every now and then. I found myself leaving the Lomenzo on a lot longer. I also forgot to turn off the 10db boost (that it has for 'solos'), so I was quite loud....

Nice unit, think you might find you'd use it more than you think if you can get one at the right price for you.