Why become a member? ×

"Rock of Ages": Genius or Cheesy Rubbish

darkandrew

Having just watched Rock of Ages I'm left wondering whether I've just experienced 2 hours of genius or wasted 2 hours of my life on what is basically cheesy rubbish? I am also planning to go and see the latest film adaptation of Les Miserables later this week and although, on the face of it, these two movies have little in common but they are both musicals albeit from opposite ends of the genre. Now, my question is this: Can musicals as a form of cinema, and of music, ever be taken seriously or are they all as cheesy as a packet of Wotsits in an old sock?

Edited by darkandrew

rock of ages is cheese, plain and simple, but it is enjoyable. I've heard quite a few people I know say that Les Mis is a fantastic film, and that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are brilliant in it.

Musicals in film form aren't my cup of tea really (other than The Muppets ones :P haha), but I can appreciate that some are very well done.

I like musicals as film and cheese is usually an important part of it. I don't know about Rock Of Ages because Tom Cruise is fairly near the top of my list of actors I just will not watch under any circumstances, so I can't answer your question.

I'm sure someone less discerning will be along in a minute to help you out. ;)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

Mrs G loves rock of ages, however I quote:
[quote]
I can't listen to your band doing "i wanna know what love is" without thinking of them shagging on the pool table any more
[/quote]

I enjoyed it at the cinema, got free tickets and was good toe tapping fun. Also went and saw the west end version with shayne ward? before the cast changeover. That was good, and completely different to the film.
Its the same guy who does glee (the musical director of the film)

'Rock of Ages' puts me in mind of the lively discussions to be had when The Darkness arrived in the public consciousness. I was always of the opinion that people who used to voraciously slate them were having a temporary humour bypass and embarrassing themselves a little with their high brow opinions about three chord pop.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358076829' post='1932588']
I like musicals as film and cheese is usually an important part of it. I don't know about Rock Of Ages because Tom Cruise is fairly near the top of my list of actors I just will not watch under any circumstances, so I can't answer your question.

I'm sure someone less discerning will be along in a minute to help you out. ;)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Yay, someone else with some sense of reason and taste when it comes to film! Just about bearable in Interview With a Vampire but generally to be avoided at all cost.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1358093203' post='1932938']
I thought I was going to hate [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Les Miserables as well and I did.[/font][/color][/quote]

That's a shame Bert, he speaks very highly of [i]you[/i].
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358076829' post='1932588']
Tom Cruise is fairly near the top of my list of actors I just will not watch under any circumstances[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

You've got some serious issues, seeing as Cruise is not on top of that list. :P

best,
bert

Bought Rock of Ages for Xmas.
Managed to watch 15mins and thought it was utter crap.
Back in its box to be watched when nothing else on TV or I'm on my death bed with no option.
After Cloverfield this is my worst DVD ever purchased.

Not a fan of this although i did enjoy Mama Mia

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1358110902' post='1933392']
Bought Rock of Ages for Xmas.
Managed to watch 15mins and thought it was utter crap.
Back in its box to be watched when nothing else on TV or I'm on my death bed with no option.
After Cloverfield this is my worst DVD ever purchased.

Not a fan of this although i did enjoy Mama Mia

Dave
[/quote]

Got to be honest, it took me a while to get into it and the first 15 minutes are the worst of the film but by the end both myself and the missus were grinning like chimps and really quite enjoying it - although my sister-in-law (who had come 'round for the weekend) just didn't get it all.

Les Mis - My bro is a big fan of the stage show and this was his mini Facebook review:

[i]Went to see Les Mis at the cinema today. I've always enjoyed the musical, and I've seen it four or five times since it first came out in 1985. The film absolutely does it justice. Anne Hathaway was astonishing, and Hugh Jackman played a powerful turn. It is the second most powerful film I've seen, only slightly behind "Life is beautiful". The central theme of grace vs law is captured well, but it was able to bring out the raw emotion of Fantine, Eponine and Valjean even more powerfully.[/i]

Personally I love musicals as films.