Why become a member? ×

Which strings do you use?

JamesBass

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1357765006' post='1928157']

Newtones - Really nice and smooth on the hands, fairly long lasting, high quality handmade strings.

[/quote]

Agree..very clean string but not ultra zingey...so therefore they seem to last quite a while.
Normally I am changing DR's every 3 and a bit weeks... but Newtones last far longer for me.

I use the Diamond series and have all T core ..

[quote name='Chambo' timestamp='1357749916' post='1927813']
where do you get the Newtones from? Are they for electric bass?
[/quote]

Yes, electric but they do EB as well as acoustic

[url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/"]http://www.newtonestrings.com/[/url]

Have them made to order ...altho I think they also have a distributor like stringbusters or somesuch.
I don't see the point as Malcolm is great to deal with direct...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357765305' post='1928166']
Agree..very clean string but not ultra zingey...so therefore they seem to last quite a while.
Normally I am changing DR's every 3 and a bit weeks... but Newtones last far longer for me.
[/quote]

I have had a custom stainless steel set on my 6 string for about 2 years :lol: They're dead now, but I only noticed a significant change in sound after a few months!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357747868' post='1927752']
I use Warwick EMP 100-40. I love them, and I've tried many different brands and gauges. DR Black Beauties were my very favourite but I started getting problems with dead G strings.
[/quote]

Can I ask you what the tension is like on those Warwick strings ? I had some Warwick Black Label many years ago and from memory , they were pretty elastic compared to the Elites I used to use back then . I am looking for some strings that are more flexible for the given gauge than ordinary hex core strings but not quite as bendy as round core DRs .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357765608' post='1928178']
Can I ask you what the tension is like on those Warwick strings ? I had some Warwick Black Label many years ago and from memory , they were pretty elastic compared to the Elites I used to use back then . I am looking for some strings that are more flexible for the given gauge than ordinary hex core strings but not quite as bendy as round core DRs .
[/quote]

They seem nice and compliant mate, that may be the gauge though, but definitely lovely to play on my Streamer. Also, they last for ages and keep their zing.

I was using DR Black Beauties and got on quite well with them. Recently moved on to Rotosound Nexus and won't be changing back. The Nexus' are fantastic, perfect sound and feel for me. They also for my bass' colour scheme which is ways a plus.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1357770201' post='1928283']
TI JF344 Jazz Flats on everything.
[/quote]

Same here. I just love 'em. Love the tension. Love the sound. Love the longevity. No more to say. Oh, apart from I use Slinkys on my MM Sub.

Also, don't worry about repeating an old subject. There's always something new to say which wouldn't get said if all we did was delve into the archives.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1357809120' post='1928591']
Also, don't worry about repeating an old subject. There's always something new to say which wouldn't get said if all we did was delve into the archives.
[/quote]

Exactly! Nobody is forced to contribute to a thread. If you think it is nothing more than a rehash of an old one, just stay away! New members join all the time and didn't comment on the older threads. People change their opinions and try new things.

Most subjects have been covered by now, should what should we do - close down the site? :unsure: :D

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1357747136' post='1927734']
Just curious to see what preferences people have for strings out there.

I started on Rotosounds SM66 but found they lost their brightness fairly quickly and felt horrible on the fingers, very rough sort of wind on them.

Moved on to D'Addario's EXL170s quite a light gauge just like the SM66s but a much nicer feel and I've found a better life span. I did try their EPS170s and they were quite nice, a lot more twang to them I thought.

So what do you guys use and what do you hate?
[/quote]

another fan of EXL170 here. When I don't have any other particular string in mind, those are my default. Often I try others... and I end up removing them and going back to these.
They are a bit brighter than I'd like initially, but not crazy bright - it can be tamed. Within a month of use they are just perfect for me and I keep them on for several months.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357772144' post='1928334']
I was using DR Black Beauties and got on quite well with them. Recently moved on to Rotosound Nexus and won't be changing back. The Nexus' are fantastic, perfect sound and feel for me. They also for my bass' colour scheme which is ways a plus.
[/quote]

I was into coated coloured strings a while ago, and like you used Black Beauties until I discovered the Nexus. Really nice strings! Hmmm... I might still have an old pair stored somewhere!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1357831878' post='1929212']

I was into coated coloured strings a while ago, and like you used Black Beauties until I discovered the Nexus. Really nice strings! Hmmm... I might still have an old pair stored somewhere!
[/quote]

Old pair?

They're great strings and only a score a set. Perfect.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1357839274' post='1929393']
I've just put a set of Fender 9050 Flats on my P bass. Sounds great.
[/quote]

+1

Lovely strings. My favourite flats.
They remind me a little of D'Addario chromes, but I prefer the Fenders. I have them currently on my Squier Precision CV 50s and on a Jazz.

Always end up going back to Fender nickel 40-100 7150's
Quite like the Overwater nickel's too.
Use Elixir on my 6 string fretless mainly because i wanted a light gauge and they were only manufacturer i could find at the time.

Tried Rotos & Warwick various types, Elites (pretty good)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1357751631' post='1927856']
Rotosound RB40, for me they last as long as any other rounds I've tried & at £12 a pack they're cheap to replace.
[/quote]

Might have to change my mind, fitted 2 new sets today and both e strings have the taper in the wrong place, so the thick part wraps around the tuning post.