Why become a member? ×

New basses exceeding high expectations

marcus bell

Anyone had this?

Since the status kingbass was unveiled 11 years ago I've wanted one, anyways last night I finally got one!

After hearing mark king amongst others play these and hearing how great they can sound, I knew its be good, but since I've had it I haven't put it down except for food breaks ;) haha

It's just magical!
Anyone else had an experience like this?

The only bass I have ever had that experience with is my Lakland 55-02. Basses typically don't live long with me before I get bored and move onto something else, but this bass has been a blessing to me since I bought it 9yrs ago. It was bought as a back up and quickly became my #1. I wasn't looking for my dream bass at the time as I thought I had already had it...an Overwater Progress III. When I played it at the shop I obviously liked how it sounded and played otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, but it wasn't until I spent plenty of time with it at home when I realised how dynamic and flexible it was. I have used it for funk, gospel, metal, folk, hip-hop...you name it! I can always find the answer I need.

I had a collection of 6 basses when I bought the Lakland. All have gone except the 55-02, which speaks volume to me. At the risk of sounding corny, I have a strong bond with that bass.

This has never happened to me.
Because I knew before I bought any given bass that it was good.
Because I tried it before I bought it.
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it.
Don't buy a bass without playing it first.

BTW, the Kingbass doesn't hang right on me, no matter what I do. Even Dawn agreed.
I bought a Streamline instead. And it rarely gets played because i) it has one string too few, and ii) no matter how good it is, it's just bland-sounding.

[sub]Just got a VM Squier Jazz 5 string today which is way better than the VM 4 String I got.....from you in 2011 Marcus! [/sub]

[sub]Not blaming you BTW, but they seem to have tweaked the controls and it sounds quite a bit more ballsy. Still the new owner of the VM77 is happy too so that's the beauty of Basschat![/sub]

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1355750201' post='1902111']
Anyone had this?

Since the status kingbass was unveiled 11 years ago I've wanted one, anyways last night I finally got one!

After hearing mark king amongst others play these and hearing how great they can sound, I knew its be good, but since I've had it I haven't put it down except for food breaks ;) haha

It's just magical!
Anyone else had an experience like this?
[/quote]

Yeah,

my Carvin SB5000 knocks my t*ts off every time I play it!

I've been lucky enough to have this happen twice (and both are still in my possession!)

The first is my trusty old fretless Ibanez although when I bought it as a fresh young eighteen year old I didn't realise what a peach I had just secured. Moving from a Satellite J bass to this was like moving from a Fiat 500 to an Aston Martin so it felt good at the time but I had neither the skill or the references to know just how good until many years and many basses later.

The second is my current main gigging weapon of choice, my Overwater J5. Secured second-hand, it was like the original owner had specified it for me. Tulipwood body, rosewood board, 3 colour sunburst, DiMarzio Ultra's, J-Retro would have been my wish list if I had the funds for a trip to Carlisle, so to find one identical to this and to pay less than half the original purchase price for a year and a half old bass in perfect condition at a time when I had just received a completely unexpected bonus from work was one of those rare moments when all the planets align.

Glad you're happy with the Kingbass...here she is for anybody who hasn't seen it...

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Status%20Kingbass/StatusMK3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Status%20Kingbass/StatusMK1.jpg[/IMG]

As you know after trying it, my favourite bass is my Veillette Citron, which for a 25 year old still blows me away every time it comes out...

Got to say my EBS HD350 had a similar effect when I first got that home - brought another dimension to all my basses..Bernie, at GB, knew what he was doing when he used these when designing his basses..

Funnily enough the greatest disappointment I've ever had with a bass was a Kingbass, lol.

I was really looking forward to owning one but pretty much from the moment I took it out of it's case I disliked it, I literally couldn't find a single thing about it I liked :(

Reason for saying this is not to criticise your choice but just to emphasise the great thing about basses is that we're each looking for something different and personal and the world would be a very boring place if we all wanted the same thing :)

I guess I've had a few basses over the years that have massively exceeded my expectations but then something else has come along that was just that bit better again.

Have been pretty settled with a '63J and a Ritter Cora for a while now but recently picked up a GB Spitfire (by accident!) that really surprised me and I've been playing it a lot - I bought it to modify and sell but was so surprised at how it sounded and felt to play that I've hung on to it for a bit :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1355788012' post='1902883']
Funnily enough the greatest disappointment I've ever had with a bass was a Kingbass, lol.

I was really looking forward to owning one but pretty much from the moment I took it out of it's case I disliked it, I literally couldn't find a single thing about it I liked :(

Reason for saying this is not to criticise your choice but just to emphasise the great thing about basses is that we're each looking for something different and personal and the world would be a very boring place if we all wanted the same thing :)

I guess I've had a few basses over the years that have massively exceeded my expectations but then something else has come along that was just that bit better again.

Have been pretty settled with a '63J and a Ritter Cora for a while now but recently picked up a GB Spitfire (by accident!) that really surprised me and I've been playing it a lot - I bought it to modify and sell but was so surprised at how it sounded and felt to play that I've hung on to it for a bit :)
[/quote]

Many years ago I bought a Kingbass on BassWorld. I couldn't get on with it at all. Beautifully made it was an ergonomic nightmare.

I traded it for a Rickenbacker and the new owner moved it on straight away.

All my ACGs have matched or exceeded my high expectations. The trouble is my expectations keep going up every time I visit Moffat :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1355765903' post='1902455']
This has never happened to me.
Because I knew before I bought any given bass that it was good.
Because I tried it before I bought it.
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it.
Don't buy a bass without playing it first.

BTW, the Kingbass doesn't hang right on me, no matter what I do. Even Dawn agreed.
I bought a Streamline instead. And it rarely gets played because i) it has one string too few, and ii) no matter how good it is, it's just bland-sounding.
[/quote]
Surely you tried the Streamline out before you bought it? :mellow:

Very funny.
I did try it out.
And, although it still works, I doubt I'd buy another Status. Things have not gone well with that bass, and I have neither the time, fuel money, inclination or funds to undo them. That, and it's missing a string. Though I doubt it'd do well as a fiver, seeing as the 4 seems to lack bottom end clout.
Most expensive bass I buy? On paper the best. In reality, sitting in a cupboard. Unloved and unsaleable/untradable.

Even I f*** up sometimes.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1355867724' post='1903935']
My new Stingray 5 has me smiling every time I've picked it up or gigged it since I've bought it. It does everything I want it to do plus a bit more.
[/quote]

As I sold you it, that's very good to hear - glad you're enjoying it so much :)