Why become a member? ×

chocolate starfish in the pub.....

bassintheface

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1355750340' post='1902112']
We played a Bikers Rally a few years ago and this HUGE biker comes up to our guitar player, looked him square in the eye (we were on a 3 foot tall stage and I swear they were eye to eye) and said "play f*ckin' Dancing Queen - or else". The rest of the band (myself included) found our way to the other side of the stage. He wouldn't let it go. "Play f*ckin' Dancing Queen".....This went on for around 5 minutes whilst said guitarest was sh*ting himself and trying to play through the set. We cast the occasional glance to see how things were going (some strage notes were emiting from his amp) until eye contact was made where we all just looked away again. Eventually Biker squares up to him, full on in the face and says "nah - only joking mate" and pats him on the back. I swear there were some brown trousers on that stage that night.
[/quote]

what a dickhead

Guest bassman7755

I played a gig (as a guitarist in this case) which was a wedding reception in the grounds of a big house. About 1/2 hour into the gig this angry looking bloke brandishing an axe comes and stands right in front of us. Turned out he was the farmer next door and was intent on cutting our cables to make us stop playing so loud.

No worries, gents. Will do.

We're now in the midst of Christmas party hell at the Grosvenor Pulford hotel, then onto NYE at Chester Racecourse, with a mate's wedding in between - our old sound eng who is now the mons eng for the Maccabees. He used to tech for the Wombats so both bands are coming so we might do a 'dive in band' thing.....

Ha, yeah, get the SAS out!

I was so close to inflicting some hurt on him! Thankfully, I spend a lot of time doing kickboxing and Muay Thai so ironically, it makes me more patient!

He just annoyed by by implying our guitarists 'weren't up to his standard' - which they are and more, and far more experienced and cooler - but they know what to play and when........

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1355755901' post='1902213']
He just annoyed by by implying our guitarists 'weren't up to his standard' - which they are and more, and far more experienced and cooler - but they know what to play and when........
[/quote]

I think that`s the thing - in their learning period, many people think that more is best, and only play for themselves. I`m sure either of your guitarists could knock spots off this guy in a widdling competition, but it`s their experience that tells them when/what not to play.

I`ve had similar incidents - a guy telling me he could "take me in a bass-off". To respond, I asked him if he could play the same song three times in a row, without any other instruments, and time himself, and get to within a second each time round, or if he could play a one note bassline with a drummer and lock-in and develop a groove, or, how many drummers recommended him as a good bassist. He was very confused, and probably went home to up his notes per second as a way of defeating me.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1355743447' post='1901977']
Ok, so this might turn into a bit of a long one but......

[/quote]

To be honest you come across in your post as just as deluded and arrogant as this other guy. You've played in the same one band for 12 years, with the same guys from school. You're playing big gigs for big money and that makes you bigger and better than him?

Good luck, but there's more to music.

TBH, with those big gigs on I'm surprised you have time for your kickboxing.

I think you should probably chill out and have a good look at what's going on around you.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1355753951' post='1902180']
Never has the phrase "All the gear and no idea" been more apt.
[/quote]

I wish you'd stop saying this! I'd like not to take it personally, but i *do* have all the gear, and I really *do* have no idea!

It's depressing to be reminded of this.... :blush:

My guitar player had a similar conversation with a punter at a gig a few months ago criticising our drummer and how laid back his playing style was. He said that he knew of a drummer that could replace him because he felt that we needed more 'rock' muscle. Our drummer is perfect for what we do (soul and funk). His playing style really suits and we are lucky in that sense, so don't want John Bonham behind us. My guitar player is a polite lad and pit forward his debate as to why we don't want to play with a rock drummer and perfectly happy with our current set up, but this lad wouldn't have it. Tired of the conversation, J walked away from him and this lad then went to one of our singers and went through the same conversation. We played the second set with both my singer and guitarist wound up by the half time team talk from that idiot.

But, what really narked me was the conversation I had with J in the car on the way back home. The whole incident casted doubt in his mind and asked for my opinion. I quashed any doubts about our drummer immediately and told him to let it go over his head. Our drummer has been playing for us for 5yrs and I really enjoy being in the rhythm section with him. I think he is a belting drummer and is integral to the dynamic between all of the musicians in that band. If we felt he wasn't right for us he would have seen the door a long time ago. It really annoyed me that an over opinionated nobody caused such disharmony that evening.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1355759522' post='1902283']
I wish you'd stop saying this! I'd like not to take it personally, but i *do* have all the gear, and I really *do* have no idea!

It's depressing to be reminded of this.... :blush:
[/quote]

To be honest you come across in your post as just as deluded and arrogant as this other guy.

I think you should probably chill out and have a good look at what's going on around you.

WTF?????
Goddammit! The BC software is feckin' up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1355759927' post='1902292']
To be honest you come across in your post as just as deluded and arrogant as this other guy.

WTF?????
Goddammit! The BC software is feckin' up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

best,
bert
[/quote]
erm... did you mean to quote me there? :)

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1355743447' post='1901977']
Ok, so this might turn into a bit of a long one but......

I play bass in a really good (and always busy corporate function band) - people can work out for themselves whether we're any good or not - but we are and I'm privileged to play with a group of awesome musicians who are also really close friends.

We started over 12 years ago as 6th formers playing 'classics' in pubs for fun - you know, Hendrix, Free, Cream, Zeppelin etc
Things progressed to the point where we've been playing stadiums for large sports events and large corporate stuff - in the last 3 years we've done Wembley Stadium, Millennium Stadium, Old Trafford, Elland Road, The Trafford Centre, Murrayfield - all sorts really. Been abroad loads, big events for people like Unilever, O2, Yell.com - you name it....we're off to the Middle East in the NY and have also been backing band for James Corden and Diana Vickers for gigs.

We must be doing something right!

Anyway, a guy I knew from school plays guitar and recently has been in touch and has been to see us at a few events. He plays guitar in your typical 'pub rock' band - they're ok, nothing special - just like 100 pub bands in each town. He's ok but nowhere near as good as the guys in my band.

Anyway - the first time he came to see us he asked if he could join us. We pointed out that (A) No, we didn't need / want him (we have 2 great guitarists who between them can play everything and anything should the need arise) and ( B) see point A.

We did a short notice gig on the weekend at a local pub as a short notice favor and he found out and txt to ask if he could jam with us for a few songs.
To be honest, the thought of it filled me with dread as I've heard him a few times and it's bad. I mean, he can play ok, but it's so unmusical, no style, no taste. Just notes, bad sound and style - no consideration for the song or music.
I txt back to say we weren't really playing anything suitable to 'jam' to in the sense of what he was suggesting - we did lots of soul, Motown etc and it would have just ruined great songs!

Anyway, he was there at the gig - with a face on him like he was there to 'run the rule' - I was laughing inside as we were awesome and played some cool stuff like "What's going on", a great version of "Going Down" "I'm a Mover" and all sorts.

He came over after and said how great it was and complimented me and the drummer etc and said "You need a lead guitarist". I pointed out that we had 2 awesome musicians on guitar and he was all "they're 'just' rhythm players".
They're not - One is like a cross between Paul Kossoff (who incidentally this lad didn't know even though his bad pub band play some free) and Robbie Robertson and the other is some sort of musical genius who sings like Sam Cooke, plays guitar like Hendrix and plays keys like Dr John! Both though play with style, taste and are musical!

This 'lad' was telling me how he could have put a 'buring solo" in "Superstition" - I replied "why", it doesn't have a wa***ng guitar in it. If Stevie Wonder wanted one he'd have written one.
He said he could put solo's in our set to make it better. I told him people didn't like that and he'd spoil the songs.

He was going on about Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Bonawhatever - each to their own, but don't really do too much for me, though I appreciate that they were / are awesome players. Plus, this lad is nowhere near those 2 mentioned - they have their own styles = he doesn't.

I ended up walking away as I was about to lose my rag - he's one of those - he just "doesn't know". Never been in a band that's done anything but play pub rock (which is fine and has it's place). He tells you about his 9 guitars, what strings he uses the lot. I just yawn! His band wear matching shirts with the band name printed on them, he uses a wireless system - in pubs, with a full Marshall stack, and I've seen him playing guitar behind his head - not for fun but to try and get people to go "wow". What a tool.

Anyway, had to get it off my chest as I've been getting really wound up with how rude he was, how deaf he must be, how ignorant he is and how I wish someone steals all his gear.
[/quote]
Why waste your time getting worked up about somebody like that? Life's too short-enjoy what you do. Sorry to say that-as I've grown older I've realised that what other people think is not a good ruler for measuring your own lfe.You are here once only, so is he, it's not a rehearsal-just do what you want. Just treat others with respect and kindness so you can sleep easy.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1355758643' post='1902269']
To be honest you come across in your post as just as deluded and arrogant as this other guy. You've played in the same one band for 12 years, with the same guys from school. You're playing big gigs for big money and that makes you bigger and better than him?

TBH, with those big gigs on I'm surprised you have time for your kickboxing.

[/quote]

Tim - you're not correct - this band has been playing together as musicians for that long, but only doing these bigger gigs in a 'serious' format for 5 or so years.As I stated, before we just played together as a laugh as we were college mates and were all in different originals bands. I was in an 'originals' band between 2002 and 2007 that released albums, videos, did BBC Maida Vale sessions, recorded in Rockfield and all sorts of other studios, went on tours with well known bands and got to reasonable placings in charts.
I haven't been limited to just this band and this type of music / market.

I've depped for other bands and done all sorts of other stuff like orchestral and brass, but all of that wasn't really relevant to this topic and I don't need to 'justify' myself to you.

What I do now, or have or haven't done doesn't make me bigger or better - I'm not deluded of arrogant at all and I'm sure if you and I met you would see that I'm a sound bloke - there's countless others on here who are better musicians than me, done bigger and better things and are no doubt really nice guys to boot. I certainly wouldn't come to one of your gigs and tell your band mates that the bassist wasn't good enough and that they'd be better off with me.
I'd come to enjoy the music, the night out and appreciate some good music hopefully. Even if I thought it was rubbish, I wouldn't tell you how I could make it better!

This guy has limited experience and wanted to force his views and opinions on me. I decided not to listen ultimately but I also wanted to get it off my chest.

Regarding how or what I spend my time doing and how I manage to fit in bass, wife, child, kickboxing, stamp collecting or even knitting is no concern of yours.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1355760090' post='1902300']
erm... did you mean to quote me there? :)
[/quote]

Yup!
It was either getting into a serious debate with TimR or having a little fun with his contribution.

As to "all the gear - no idea", it fits me perfectly, and in several senses.
I do understand the expression, and would agree with its general meaning, but I can't really be arsed to let it say anything about me and my behaviour. I know zilch. I know that. Gear teaches me stuff. That and I get to hear and feel the differences. Bliss!

Reminds me of this story:
A little boy sits on the river bank and is "fishing" with just a twig with a piece of rope, a bent nail and some bread crumbs.
Along comes this insufferable twat who'se never been fishing before. Out of his car he takes the most expensive fishing gear that money can buy. He uses a lot of time connecting al the bits and pieces, and then proceeds and catches all the fish. :lol:

best,
bert

Edit for spelling

Edited by BassTractor

.....and I'm certainly not deluded.
I play music because I love it and am addicted to it.
I play in this band now because it's great fun having a laugh and making music with friends. Yes it pays well, yes I've played in some awesome venues but it is what it is.
Work in a covers band playing other people's songs.

It's just that we're pretty good and professional.
I'm never going to write songs like Paul McCartney, or sell records like Chris Martin - but I'm / we're not trying to. We're just trying to make a living playing music.
Like I said. I'm privileged really. There's plenty of threads with unhappy bands on here and I'm glad I'm not in that situation.