Why become a member? ×

The point of it all.....

Bilbo

I have studied music theory, learned to read and developed a credible technique. 20 years ago I bought 'Funkyfying the Clave' by Lincoln Goines. I joined a Latin band called Albino Cubana and played some Latin rhythms and generally had a good time but, as these things do, that band collpased and people moved on.

Last night, I got in from work at around 5.45 pm and was chatting to my wife when the phone rang. It was the guy who runs The Fleece, a Suffolk based Jazz 'venue' (that isn't at The Fleece anymore). They had a band on that night and their bass player was stuck in London. Roger O'Dell (drummer in Shakatak) had recommended me; could I make the gig? 'When do you want me'? I asked. 'Now'. ok, double bass or electric. Double bass. So, after downing a cup of coffee, I set off for Stoke By Nayland with both basses in my car. Remember, I have no idea who I am playing with and have never played the Fleece because local guys never get to play The Fleece!!

On arrival, I am greeted by the little Cuban guy who walks over to me and says 'I think you are my Guardian Angel'. I shake his hand and we talk for a moment and then he calls the sound guys over and asks them to help me load in. He says 'electric' so the double bass stays in its case. I move my car and when I get back my gear is on stage. I still have no idea what the music is going to sound like but there is a full drum kit and 5 congas so I am thinking maybe this is going to be Latin based :lol: I m handed a pad by a fifty-something sax player who introduces himself as Nick Walker and also introdues me to Steve, the trumpet player. That'll be Steve Waterman. I am now starting to brick it.

'Let's look at a couple of charts' says the conguerro, Robin Jones. We look at a couple of charts during the soundcheck and it sounds ok but then the doors are opening and we retire to the bandroom. So I am about to go on stage, with no rehearsal, with the best Cuban conguerro and trumpeter I have ever met and some other guys who I have not got a handle on yet but are clearly very good. What follows is an absolute dream....these guys.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAOaKlx1Ow[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjhD70Hn9_c[/media]

Anyway, I nailed the gig and, despite a few small gaffes, hit the mark most of the night. Reading the dots, knowing the idiom reasonably well, lots of eye contact, supportive players etc etc. 32 years of practise, playing, experience and knowledge all came together in two 50 minute sets. Lots of smiles from the band (who had had a really stressful day trying to get a dep for their regular bass player (johnny Gee, I think) - I think I as the 6th they had called). Massive buzz for me. A really good night for me and the audience were really positive etc. Makes you realise that all the work is worth it in the end. The leader wanted my card at the end of the night so he could call me if they ever needed a dep again. for this band or their 12-piece larger group. If I never hear from him again, I will have had this night of great music with great players . And it all came exactly when I needed it, when there are fewer and fewer gigs and you start to ask what is the point of it all!! Well, that answers that!.

Oh - and I got paid!! :lol:

When I saw the title of the thread, I was expecting it to be a negative "what's the point of it all"
one. I was pleasantly surprised.

Congratulations on a job well done !! B)

It must be great to be at the point, where you can go on stage with accomplished
musicians at the drop of a hat and nail the gig.

This is indeed the point of it all, and this story should be as an inspiration to others who sometimes feel
like giving up.

Edited by Coilte

Someone sent me this off the 'Jazz At The Fleece' website blog. Warms the cockles....

[i]What an exciting evening! The African based sound of Robin Jones Latin Underground is quite amazing and addictive, but the excitement started well before gig time.

The bassist Jonny Gee had a car failure, and there was no way he could get to the gig on time. So our Michael phoned a friend. ShakAttack Roger Odell tried one bassist, not answering, then a second. Rob Palmer was available and lives in Felixtowe. He arrived at 6.15 with upright and electric basses and monster amp, and they set up and started to rehearse with the electric. Now Robin's music has changes of key, tempi and time signatures in some songs. Also, the African beat is not like Brazilian, which any bassist would know. It is half rather than on the beat. Really difficult stuff.

He was terrific. Rehearsal snuck in to opening time a bit, so we ran late. Just to see the smiles on the rest of the bank when Rob hit the road running. He soloed beautifully on several numbers.

What about the rest of the band? Steve Waterman was the other dep, but he played on the last two CDs of the band. He is such an exciting player, always fun to watch. He watches too, as if he was learning from the others. Nice.

Chris Kibble on piano has such an innate feel for the music. He has an amazing left hand, and some of the runs he made had Rob shaking his his head ("how did he think of that?"). Nick Walker is musical director, plays powerful baritone, soprano, and lyrical flute.

Marc Cecil is coming to us with his own band in the next programme, and from his performance on the drum kit and timbales last night, it should be memorable.

And Robin. He is simply one of the best conga players about. How he gets such a range of tonal colour from those things is quite beyond me. His knowledge of the field is huge, and he shares with us. His friend Eric Young came with him, also a drummer and congo player, and played the latter on one song, also very good.

It was a terrific evening. Gerry did the sound, and got roundly complimented for it from the stage by Robin. Thanks again to the crew of staff, punters and committee who cleaned up after a late night.[/i]

Congrats to you, Mr. Bilbo.
Nicely done!

To paraphrase Ed Friedland...
No tab, no tape, (no rehearsal), no problem.
;)

Thank you for representing the bass brotherhood so well.
When we are often times underestimated
or on the short end of so many a joke...
I love these types of opportunities-
The ones where you truly know you're alive.
:lol:

It's a Christmas(ish) miracle|!

Cuban music ain't my thing, but what a great story...and it's a testament to you that you had the chops to do it. Most mere mortals would have had to roll out 'Johnny B Goode' in A for an hour and a half.

...now I can't wait for the movie...

Guest bassman7755

I dont think I could ever commit the sheer practice hours to get to the point where I can play a gig of unknown and unrehearsed material to this kind of standard, but I neverthless reap the benefits of theory and practice in lots of small ways all the time. Bilbo's story is demonstration of whats possible for anyone who is prepared to put in the necessary dedication to thier craft.

Really nice story Rob - I had a similarly nice feeling after that recent London Jazz Fest gig I did - the feeling being that 'things really came together tonight' - and yes it took months of planning just for that gig, but also years of diligent dedication to hit a decent level of playing.

I feel doubly chuffed for you though as getting 'the call' then nailing it - and to be among such great company - is exactly 'what it's all about' - which is sharing those magical spontaneous moments of musical creativity on a stage with like-minded (and great) musicians - it's pretty much 'it' in musical terms - great work sir.