Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran

ern500evo

I have heard rumours about My Taylor and his playing on the first two Duran Duran Albums. If you read Guy Pratt's biography he mentions him laying down Bass lines and Mr Taylor playing 'bass by numbers' I so don't want that to be true as he was a hero of mine aged 16 - I also read that Andy Taylor came up with the bass lines but hey he looked bloody good with that Aria!!

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1355771507' post='1902582']
I so don't want that to be true as he was a hero of mine aged 16 - I also read that Andy Taylor came up with the bass lines but hey he looked bloody good with that Aria!!
[/quote]

Same here. Ditto. +1. etc...

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1355741410' post='1901944']
I have been told, on more than one occasion, that many of Duran's bass parts were actually 'ghosted' by Mr Edwards - anyone else ever here this?

Maybe it's one of those 'urban myth' things :(
[/quote]

Perhaps he could've had knocked out a few vocal tracks for their utterly tuneless singer at the same time :o

Over the years I too have heard various rumours that either John Taylor didn't play bass or Roger Taylor didn't play drums on various Duran Duran tracks but the only credible report I've ever come across is in an interview with Ian Little, the producer of "Is there Something I Should Know?" in Sound On Sound magazine: Although Ian had some experience of working with Roxy Music prior to Duran Duran, this was his first full production job and he mucked up the recording of the drums leading to him having to manually replace all of Roger Taylor's recorded drums with samples and so, technically speaking, Roger Taylor didn't actually play the drums on this track. Other than that I've never found anything to corroborate these rumours. It seems that, as with most urban myths, a little bit of truth can be twisted to put a very different slant on it.

Edited by darkandrew

I remember back in the day John Taylor stating he didn't actually like playing the bass, well he certainly influenced a lot of future players - myself included.
Reminds me of rumors of one Martin Kemp and the first Spandau Ballet album although he admits his brother basically sat down with him a taught him the lines.
He is not a bad player, a mate of mine used to work in Denmark Street in the early ninties and Kemp came in and tried a Jazz - apparently he was rather good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i hope you lot are bloody satisfied. Since i first read this thread, every time ive gone anywhere near a bass ive been instantly launching into Rio. I guess its all good ghost note practice but its turned into a total bass-earworm. Just as well i like the song or it'd drive me mad! :)

Never liked Duran Duran. However, I saw a video of them once, taken before they became a big name pop band. They were playing some kind of blues/rock stuff and wearing jeans, T shirts, and long hair. I could have liked them then, just goes to show what sh*t happens when you sell out to pop producers.

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1355771507' post='1902582']
I have heard rumours about My Taylor and his playing on the first two Duran Duran Albums. If you read Guy Pratt's biography he mentions him laying down Bass lines and Mr Taylor playing 'bass by numbers' I so don't want that to be true as he was a hero of mine aged 16 - I also read that Andy Taylor came up with the bass lines but hey he looked bloody good with that Aria!!
[/quote]

I don't think it matters, Taylor was a major part of a successful group, he played live well enough, and so what if he "played bass by numbers" what ever that means, having a education in music from young is nothing more than that when you break it down.

my mrs was saying in her youth everyone used to chuck beer on dd as they ponced around babarellas in brum......we used to do wolf...but we felt uncomfetable doing it so we dropped it...but talking with a punk band we played with the bassist mentioned it and they all went mad saying we should still do it!!!

Edited by thunderider

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1357052645' post='1916801'], just goes to show what sh*t happens when you sell out to pop producers.
[/quote]

Yup, number 1 singles and albums in most territories, stadium gigs, millions of record sales, millions of £'s earned, and supermodel wifes/girlfriends.

Where can I find some pop producers to sell out to? :)

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1357065049' post='1917071']
We do a medley of Rio and Hungry Like a Wolf. Both great tunes and I'm a big fan of the basslines
[/quote]

Didnt they do that on glee, very catchy mix!

some old grey whistle test stuff on YouTube, worth watching.

Edited by iconic

• 8 years later...