Why become a member? ×

Anybody play the guitar aswell ?

The Hat

There are plenty of people on here that play guitar as well as bass to varying degrees of proficiency, myself included.

I would think that most people started off just playing bass or guitar and took up the other instrument after they'd been playing a while. I myself didn't really start taking playing the guitar until a good 15 years or so after I started playing bass.

There was a similar thread recently, where lots of people said what they started off playing & what they graduated too.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193108-bass-player-by-choice-or-relegated-guitarist/

Edited by RhysP

I also picked up guitar after 15 odd years of bass playing as I got bored of being a side man and having to rely on a band to gig
one of the best things I've ever done I recommend to anyone thinking of picking up another instrument to do it
I am amazed at how many drummers are also great piano players as well i suppose it would make sense as its also a percussion instrument

I played bass for one year then started learning guitar too. still learning both at the same time. It doesn't make much difference mate. I really only picked up guitar to broaden my skill-set, otherwise i would have left well enough alone. If you start on bass, you might find guitar a bit easier to pick up, but you might find something like finger picking difficult on guitar (i'm struggling with that concept still). If you start on guitar then switch over to bass, you might not pick up on groove as easy as a bassist would. i actually can't think of one for going from guitar to bass, but there is bound to be one.

I actually found it better to learn both at the same time. Bass requires a different mindset to guitar and physically they're also fairly different, but quite complementary. For example, thick bass strings will quickly give you calluses which helps with guitar. Fingerpicking on bass improves right hand coordination which can help with guitar.

Just make sure you practice each separately for the same amount of time that you would practice each if you were playing only one. Don't do half and half, because then you just end up being half as good at two instruments instead of getting really good at one. So if you were planning an hour of guitar every day for your practice routine, don't do 30 mins guitar, 30 mins bass. Do an hour of each.

Learn as many instruments as you can. I took up bass a year after getting a guitar & prior to that I played a few other instruments (started out with keys).

The benefit of learning other instruments is that you can gain a better understanding of how they work together & it makes writing songs much easier.

I play a classical guitar as well as a bass - the only issue is that the right hand technique is *very* different (oh, and long fingernails don't help the bass playing), but there is a little overlap.

Why not? I've just started playing drums for something a bit different and it's a scream - if you have the time and find it fun then there should be no issue. Music is 10% technique, 90% feeling :) (mind you, the 10% technique can take a lifetime to acquire)

Played both guitar and bass equally for nearly 30 years , they defiantly complement each other with regards to fretboard knowledge and timing / rhythm .
Playing guitar allows you to work out songs easier and allows you to read what the guitarist in the band is doing ,should he go into unfamiliar songs / jams .
Being able to play more than one instrument makes you a much more rounded musician , go for it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1354988780' post='1892725']
I started guitar a year after bass. I`m a fairly good rhythm guitarist, not so good at lead, a definite Steve Jones type guitarist.
[/quote]

EXACTLY the same for me. although i have only been playing since june. But hopefully i start learning lead at some stage. Can't deny that playing a lead solo just adds another dynamic and soul to a song. My ultimate guitar idol/inspiration- John frusciante. Not just a brilliant rhythmist, but also plays fantastically simple yet soulful solos, and great chord progressions. Brilliant singer too. He also has a great knowledge of theory. Great musician all around.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1354992102' post='1892794']
Lead is not that difficult to master. Once you learn your pentatonic and blues scales its plain sailing
[/quote]

I know them on bass already, but i think it's more about pitch bending, pinch harmonics, tremolo use and using the groove and really good timing to create something that sound great! so far, i can do none of those things :(

I'm a guitarist who can find his way around a bass. I enjoy bass, but it's physically demanding in a way that guitar isn't. I think I'll always be a guitarist first.

I believe the electric bass is not just a guitar that plays in the bass register. Its function within a band is not that of a guitar, and I find I have to think differently when playing it.

I learned because I wanted to record my own music, but have also played in one or two ensembles. I think its made me a better nusician.