Why become a member? ×

lowballing .. definition and .. is it insulting ?

hamfist

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1355928913' post='1904593']
Ah, but he would have considered it a compliment!

Also, not read the whole thread, but while some buyers make very low offers, some sellers try it on by knowingly asking ridiculously high prices (perhaps not on BC, but in the wider world).
[/quote]

NOOO! i was deliberately NOT responding to that :(

This is just going to turn into a thread about how Hitler lowballed the jews!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1355932222' post='1904670']

[/quote]

Ah that's great, so lowballers are actually LEAST like Hitler? wow! That's a revelation!

EDIT- ER DURR! I read it wrong, but if you offer is crazy low, then it has the same fascist tendency as a particularly high offer.

Hey, it's just what the graph says :)

Edited by MiltyG565

There's only one thing missing from this thread now.....

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355849046' post='1903631']

While collecting it yesterday they spotted another bit of gear which had been gathering dust, made an offer for it which I accepted & apparently after being recovered it's going to a guy who has been discussed on this forum many, many times.
[/quote]

TIM?

Sometimes it's not surprising there are lowball offers. Fenix Jazz bass out at £800 :o , 75 RI CIJ Jazz valued at £800, Warwick out at £800 when the last one of that model went for £475.
One of these I would very much like to buy. It has been up over 1.5 weeks with very little interest. It has even been suggested (on another forum) the neck has been replaced. I won't pay more than £600, but I won't lowball the chap.
His current over valuation (in my opinion) is costing him a sale, and me sleepless nights.
You know how it is :P

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1356499917' post='1910553']
Sometimes it's not surprising there are lowball offers. Fenix Jazz bass out at £800 :o , 75 RI CIJ Jazz valued at £800, Warwick out at £800 when the last one of that model went for £475.
One of these I would very much like to buy. It has been up over 1.5 weeks with very little interest. It has even been suggested (on another forum) the neck has been replaced. I won't pay more than £600, but I won't lowball the chap.
His current over valuation (in my opinion) is costing him a sale, and me sleepless nights.
You know how it is :P
[/quote]

Lets hope he ...

1/ reads this

2/ works out that you are referring to him

and....... 3/ realistically re-assesses the worth of his instrument

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1356508215' post='1910558']

Lets hope he ...

1/ reads this

2/ works out that you are referring to him

and....... 3/ realistically re-assesses the worth of his instrument
[/quote]
Or ... get someone else to put a really low offer in - £200 or something - so that he'll then be naturally drawn to a thread about lowballing! :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1356531013' post='1910798']
Or ... get someone else to put a really low offer in - £200 or something - so that he'll then be naturally drawn to a thread about lowballing! :)
[/quote]
Nah, new member, just joined up to sell his bass, no other input at all.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1429773836' post='2754690']
It's just business. Nothing else. No emotion involved. Say yes. Say no. Or say maybe. That's all.
[/quote]

In theory, yes - but some people [b][i]do[/i][/b] develop an emotional attachment to certain items of gear. I've even done it myself at times... :blush: Then it can be difficult when some one is trying to tell you how much your pride and joy is really worth... :D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1356499917' post='1910553']
Sometimes it's not surprising there are lowball offers. Fenix Jazz bass out at £800 :o , 75 RI CIJ Jazz valued at £800, Warwick out at £800 when the last one of that model went for £475. I won't pay more than £600, but I won't lowball the chap.
[/quote]

I have no problem in PMing someone and (politely) letting them know how much I think their item is worth (and explaining where I have got that valuation from). Whether they choose to use this information is, of course, up to them - but it has brought positive results in a number of cases (i.e. they get a sale and I, or someone else, gets the item at a decent price).

I usually find that negotiation is fairly painless, as long as you don't open up with "you want [i][b]how[/b][/i] much?!?!" :D

I don't mind being offered a certain amount of money for something even if it is too low.The only time I've got a little bit irritated was when I was offered several (7) different basses as part of a trade when many of the basses were £4/500 below the value of what I was selling and included basses I said in my ad I had definitely no interest in.

even then, I politely said no thanks.

I would also have no issue with someone pm'ing me to make me aware I had overpriced something.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1355932222' post='1904670']

[/quote]

OK..... I haven't read all of this thread. Or even most of it. But the question that burns in my head, what is a facist? Is it someone who discriminates between basses on the basis of their exotic wood facings (or absence thereof)?

I don't see an issue with low ball offers. People are only prepared to pay what they think something is worth. If I am selling something id rather receive low offers than none at all. It might make me think that the item is over priced and adjust accordingly or that i have written a bad advert.

Its not personal just business :)