Why become a member? ×

Surely.....

Bilbo

:lol:

Reminds me of a conversation I had a while back with the drummer of my old rock band. She's a massive Phil Collins devotee, and now plays with a couple of Genesis tribute bands, while I've moved on to playing squeezebox for a border morris side. She was explaining how her kit was an exact replica of Phil Collins' one, and how the newer versions have the "wrong" colour hardware, or something. I suggested it was ironic that she was playing "progressive" music but was obsessed with historical accuracy, while I was playing "traditional" music in a band that's very happy to make stuff up when it suits us.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1354614920' post='1887965']
....any Prog Rock tribute band is playing 'Regressive Rock'?
[/quote]

Yes , but regression can be a very positive thing in a theraputic sense . Not so sure about the tribute band thing , but I remember when 15 year old kids in a band jamming in their mum's front room tried to write concept albums . Wouldn't it be great if a whole new generation of kids could embarass themselves the same way .

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1354616971' post='1888009']
She was explaining how her kit was an exact replica of Phil Collins' one, and how the newer versions have the "wrong" colour hardware, or something.
[/quote]

Except she's not left-handed, but I learnt to not mention that pretty sharpish. I mentioned something similar to the bassist from Genesis trib The Musical Box (he's left-handed, Mike Rutherford righty - TMB are lauded for their visual accuracy), he got a bit huffy.

[quote]
I suggested it was ironic that she was playing "progressive" music but was obsessed with historical accuracy
[/quote]

Even though the "progressive" label has little to do with actual progression but a lot to do with composition style, this is pretty much why I knocked the tribute band scene on the head.

Apparently "Jazz" derives from "jasm" meaning "spirit, energy, vigor" (according to wikipedia). Some jazz does the exact opposite to me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354616867' post='1888005']
I don’t get your drift.

Any style of music is fine if they're good at it, it makes them happy and there is an interested audience.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRNIFyPVHvo

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1354616971' post='1888009']
:lol:

Reminds me of a conversation I had a while back with the drummer of my old rock band. She's a massive Phil Collins devotee, and now plays with a couple of Genesis tribute bands, while I've moved on to playing squeezebox for a border morris side. She was explaining how her kit was an exact replica of Phil Collins' one, and how the newer versions have the "wrong" colour hardware, or something. I suggested it was ironic that she was playing "progressive" music but was obsessed with historical accuracy, while I was playing "traditional" music in a band that's very happy to make stuff up when it suits us.
[/quote]

Has she shaved her head and poked her eardrums out too?

Reminds me of a conversation with our old Geography teacher Mr Beck. Me and my mate Gwyneth Allen were trying to impress him with our sophisticated taste in music (he was what was known in those days as 'dishy'). We said we liked progressive music and he said 'Progressive what? progressive jazz?'. Then when we said progressive rock he proceeded to quiz us about exactly what was progressive about it.
Made us think I suppose :)

Mr Beck went on to marry one of the sixth formers.... wouldn't be allowed nowadays! :o

Well, it is making a comeback isn't it? I wonder, as we're all getting fed up with the 'establishment' music, ie X_Factor etc, that this more complex and difficult music will come to the fore, then we'll think it pompous and Punk will have a renaissance. Then, disgusted, we'll get into 'establishment' music again....

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1354614920' post='1887965']
....any Prog Rock tribute band is playing 'Regressive Rock'?
[/quote]

............ only if they're unlearning what they know at the same time, or as they play they start remembering that they were Julius Caesar in a previous life.