Why become a member? ×

Can the X Factor judges hear what we hear on the TV?

leschirons

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1354462469' post='1886185']
As above, and the last two pages since Doddys post have been a waste of bandwidth you could have used to argue about custom bone nuts on your "fiver".
X factor is IMO an extended advert designed to sell product to people who care more about having and expressing an opinion that may count towards the "winning" selection than it`s actual value as music.
The involvement is what sells, the by product is a CD and a video and maybe a tour and most importantly, newspapers.
The back story is what sells it to the "voters"irregardless of the lack of actual musical talent.
The back story is what you hear burbled out on breakfast tv by yet more celebrities.
When the act or it`s ability isn`t enough, you are invited to care about the judges and their lifestyles,partners,drunken binges etc.
The fact that some of you here expressed quite passionate opinions about rather bland singers after minimal exposure proves it works very well.
You are involved, have an opinion, care...
Imagine how it feels after watching it for years....
Me, I prefer listening to a bit of music.
[/quote]

Brilliant, perceptive, insightful and about as much as needs said.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1354462469' post='1886185']
As above, and the last two pages since Doddys post have been a waste of bandwidth you could have used to argue about custom bone nuts on your "fiver".
X factor is IMO an extended advert designed to sell product to people who care more about having and expressing an opinion that may count towards the "winning" selection than it`s actual value as music.
The involvement is what sells, the by product is a CD and a video and maybe a tour and most importantly, newspapers.
The back story is what sells it to the "voters"irregardless of the lack of actual musical talent.
The back story is what you hear burbled out on breakfast tv by yet more celebrities.
When the act or it`s ability isn`t enough, you are invited to care about the judges and their lifestyles,partners,drunken binges etc.
The fact that some of you here expressed quite passionate opinions about rather bland singers after minimal exposure proves it works very well.
You are involved, have an opinion, care...
Imagine how it feels after watching it for years....
Me, I prefer listening to a bit of music.
[/quote]

Must be great to be the only correct opinion ;)
Obviously I am weak, easily led and feeble of mind to actually think Leona Lewis or Rebecca Ferguson can, erm, sing.
'Scuse me, off to dribble my tea.
Karl.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354459736' post='1886145']
Guys, this is nonsense I'm afraid. The show does not influence and distort the music market, it is a PRODUCT of the music market.

As for this concept of the 'musically dumb', well most of us on here are musically dumb, as is the rest of the public. That's why there is simple popular and rock music which sells by the bucketload, and a much smaller market for jazz, avant garde and orchestral music.

People in general don't want to make the effort to develop their musical tastes because they have no concept of the pleasures that may bring. Same with food, clothing, home decor, art, literature and TV .. That's why in Britain today, there will be 10 million people wearing their SuperDry outfit in their magnolia homes with the clip framed Athena poster of a hunk with a baby above the mantlepiece, copy of Fifty Shades of Whatever on the Ikea coffee table, watching the X Factor, while eating fried chicken from a bucket, and looking forward spinning their Adele CD afterwards. Doesn't make them 'dumb' or worthy of hubristic criticism does it?
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My point has gone completely over your head man. What I mean't is it is influential in the scence they say an artist is good and BAM, they're good.
No question at all, they're good.
By musically dumb I mean they don't know a major from a minor and cannot detect pitch. No need to bring Jazz in here, some of us are schooled in that but choose not to play it, although Avant Garde is another matter.
[color=#282828]This is once again, IMHO. :-)[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1354494177' post='1886745']
My point has gone completely over your head man. What I mean't is it is influential in the scence they say an artist is good and BAM, they're good.
No question at all, they're good.
By musically dumb I mean they don't know a major from a minor and cannot detect pitch. No need to bring Jazz in here, some of us are schooled in that but choose not to play it, although Avant Garde is another matter.
This is once again, IMHO. :-)
[/quote]

Ok. I'll leave it to others to see if they can find some sense in your post, because I'm afraid I can't. Sorry mate.

oh here comes Milty, to dive head first into some more controversy.

Firstly, to the OP, no, they don't hear what we hear. what we hear is often auto-tuned (yeah, i know, imagine how bad some of them are before auto-tuning). Not sure if they use auto-tune in the live shows, but they definitely do for the auditions and boot camp and all that stuff.

I was just talking with a musician friend, and we both agreed, that if an artist really has talent, they will break through on their own merit. Yes, X-Factor is good to get you off the flying start in your musical career, but it just seems to attract such wannabes. I mean, are those people that clueless to not know how to go about making their own EP or album? Theres a 15 year old round our way that i'm sure will be pretty well known in the UK in the next 5 or 6 years. I'm sure if he went on the X-Factor, even if he wasn't as good as (he really is something else), Simon "moneybags" Cowell would be all over him, because he is a good looking lad. I mean, c'mon, there has to be more to appearing on the show than "having a dream" and "giving it my all" (what the f*** even is your all? maybe you awl? your brad-awl? f*** knows) and "being the next X-Factor".... ERR! hang about. Name 3 X-Factor winners that have been consistently successful since their win. saying that you can win the X-Factor says nothing more than you want to be on TV and win a show. It actually says more if you loose the competition, because you are more likely to be successful that way. The whole show reeks of it, and i'm glad that people are starting to catch on to what a fix it is, and how it is nothing more than a ploy to find some "marketable" girls and boys that they can sell lunch-boxes and posters of... oh, and CD's, gotta sell some CD's too.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1354457221' post='1886111']
It's a TV programme. It's scripted, edited, acted and produced in the same way as Coronation street, On the buses, or the News at ten. I'm sure they do what they need to in order to stay on the right side of the law as far as people paying to vote is concerned, but it's just an entertainment show for idiots. Do people really think the whole thing was put together in order to discover talent?
[/quote]

Yup, it's Saturday night tv, same as the generation game was all them years back. In saying that I was sure my tv was bolloxed as they are alway out of tune and some of the harmonies are horrendous. Then the judges say" its the best vocal like forever"

Isn't the real point of the show to find someone with the "X" factor? Given that this is (I believe) undefined then it's in the hands of the judges to, er, judge (and mentor) whoever is likely to be able to make it in show business.

We all know that raw musical talent is no judge of music industry success, so perhaps the elusive "X" factor is a reasonable thing to seek out?

Anyway, going back to the OPs point, perhaps the jusdges absolutely heard a bit of off-key singing but quickly figured that this could be easily fixed with a bit of 'autotune' in the studio. Meanwhile, they continued looking for the "X" factor potential.

The ironic thing about this sort of programme is that even the haters help to make it successful by fuelling the newsworthiness of the thing. Same as Strictly . . and I'm A Celebrity . . . - all over the country and the internet there are heated discussions going on about these programmes, all of which helps to keep them in the public consciousness and makes them the huge success they undoubtedly are.

Cowell knows all this, of course, which is why he's so successful at what he does. :lol:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354545020' post='1887170']
...even the haters help to make it successful by fuelling the newsworthiness of the thing.[/quote]

Quite. We should be denying this programme the oxygen of publicity by not discussing it on a public forum. D'OH!!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1354572442' post='1887675']

I treated myself to a pointless blue one... :) :mellow:

Garry
[/quote]
Yep I tried the gravatar thing this morning, crap ain't it?! Gave up and opened a photobucket account instead after it would not let me crop the image and nothing on basschat wants to upload any other way!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1354740331' post='1889952']

[/quote]

My sister works for Asda, and she said "Whoops" means they have ordered too many and they can't sell them, or aren't selling fast enough.

Still, even at 37p, i wouldn't buy it, unless it was a joke. songs for ME nan? songs for [b][i]ME[/i][/b] nan? the poor chap can't even proofread the 4 words on his album cover, what are the chances he can sing? maybe he sings them all in a broad northern English accent? in which case, it would be a joke :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354748135' post='1890075']

My sister works for Asda, and she said "Whoops" means they have ordered too many and they can't sell them, or aren't selling fast enough.

Still, even at 37p, i wouldn't buy it, unless it was a joke. songs for ME nan? songs for [b][i]ME[/i][/b] nan? the poor chap can't even proofread the 4 words on his album cover, what are the chances he can sing? maybe he sings them all in a broad northern English accent? in which case, it would be a joke :)
[/quote]

Seriously? That's a very ironic post.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1354755049' post='1890154']
Seriously? That's a very ironic post.
[/quote]

Em... why?

Aye, i was just being a bit angsty, no real malice behind it. but it must be a real kick in the nads to see that you album is being sold in asda for 37p with "Whoops" written all over it. the price alone would kind of put me off.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354444558' post='1885932']
Has Leona Lewis got a personality? I thought it was locked away in a tin somewhere with Andy Murray's?
[/quote]
[/Terry Thomas mode on]
I say, steady on there old bean. Are you really suggesting that there is a tin somewhere, containing the personalities of Leona and Andy?
I'll have you know each has their own tin! ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354757932' post='1890173']
Em... why?

Aye, i was just being a bit angsty, no real malice behind it. but it must be a real kick in the nads to see that you album is being sold in asda for 37p with "Whoops" written all over it. the price alone would kind of put me off.
[/quote]

Sorry Milty, I think it's a spoof CD based on the chap saying that he lives with his nan & sings (badly) to her.

I could be wrong though. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1354783744' post='1890229']
Sorry Milty, I think it's a spoof CD based on the chap saying that he lives with his nan & sings (badly) to her.
I could be wrong though. :)
[/quote]

I had this posted on my Facebook.
I think someone working at Asda has been HAsDa'd :lol:
http://www.gigwise.com/news/78029/christopher-maloney-mocked-on-songs-for-me-nan-album-spoof

Garry