Why become a member? ×

Bass player by choice, or relegated guitarist?

Tuono

By choice. I remember watching TOTP in the early 70s and was spellbound by the deep pulsing sound. I thought it was coming from those flashing light panels they used to have.

Then I saw JJ and that was it.

I also play guitar and have a collection of (black obviously) guitars ...... but I don't feel as much of a geezer when I play them.

have always loved the bass.. started playing because i heard bernard edwards playing on Chic's forbbiden lover and diana ross's my old piano... 17 years, and never looked back... apart from the piano the bass has always been the instrument for me.. and as i, and alot of musicians worth there salt recognise, the bass is the most important instrument in music that has a low end.... the first time i got very excited was when i first played a 75 jazz... imo there isnt a bass tone that comes close to its character... i knew then that was the tone for me..

i have huge respect for other musicians regardless of there instrument, but the bass has always been the instrument that i look out for when i listen to a record.... bass is in my mind and in my blood

Edited by bubinga5

By way of the " but we need a bassplayer" syndrome. Drummer in bands for years and then lead guitarist but about 28 years ago a mate was looking for a bassplayer so I thought I'd have a go with a borrowed bass and combo. Then someone lent me the first Level 42 album and "The best of Chic" Been a bassplayer ever since although have also joined bands / done deps as drummer or guitarist. Still have a kit and my guitars and amps.

I started off playing piano for about eight years before anything else, and whilst I really enjoyed playing it solo, just because it sounds pretty, I never really got it in a band context. I always found the rhythm/bass side more interesting, love a good groove me, so bass is just naturally where I feel I 'fit in' as a musician. I still play piano and there are MANY guitars around the house so I can do a bit of that too. Also handy on synths/producing etc. But bass is just where I feel at home and where I feel I can contribute best to music. :)

Started on guitar in the school band. Actually properly ended up on bass after finally plucking up the courage to ring an advert for a guitarist to be told that the older guy whose band it was, and who had decided that he was too old at 30 and that he would retire, had realised the error of his ways, but they could actually do with a bass player and could I do that. This was for a country/WMC band and I was a callow youth of 17, as were the rest of the band (except the leader). Never looked back, and still play with the drummer. We're getting pretty tight after 30+ years :rolleyes:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1354196977' post='1883407']
Ditto. Whenever I pick up a guitar (which is normally only to move it out of my way at a gig) I have no idea what to do with it. They are too small, cramped and with closely spaced cheese-wire running from nut to bridge.
[/quote]

exactly this

they make good fire wood i understand! :ph34r:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354272851' post='1884267']
Comments like that (even if it's said in jest) say to me that he's not really developed as a musician.....
[/quote]

Hmmm.... You've clearly taken my comment way too seriously and you need to think a little more charitably about the rather naive comments you have made regarding someone you don't appear to know very well... I'm truly not qualified to speak for him, but I do know that:

A. He had a massive smile on his face and his tongue [i][b]firmly [/b][/i]planted in his cheek (as I did when posting my comment), and followed the comment with a proper answer.
B. The previous workshop was a guitarist who he said was one of his biggest ever influences

After spending the day with him, I would say confidently Steve is one of the best and most giving musicians I have ever met, and he would probably be horrified at your comments. After watching him spend over an hour with a kid who couldn't have been more than 12, basically giving him a personal lesson/workshop on the MB stand, I can completely and confidently assure you your comments totally lack validity.

As I say, I'm not at all qualified to speak on his behalf, but Steve chooses to play just bass and he has chosen to study (very hard) this one instrument, both as a solo and ensemble musician, and he is a sublimely good player. Though we didn't discuss this, I'm fairly confident he'd make a good fist of playing the guitar, and other instruments as well, as he has spent so much of his time learning from other great musicians, irrespective of their chosen instrument.

If it makes you happy to play a variety of instruments, then well done, good on you, I hope you develop your playing on all of them to a level you are happy with. I personally play a [i]bit [/i]of guitar and a [i]bit [/i]of keyboards (just enough to do rough demos so that real musicians can interpret what I am looking for, and do the job more adequately... as a team), but I would not for a minute think I could master all of them...

[quote name='Seb_C' timestamp='1354285786' post='1884469']
... I don't think I could concentrate solely on bass, as it doesn't work for me as a solo instrument (while acoustic guitar and piano do, and I'm sorry to say I mostly play on my own!). But I keep playing bass because it's more fun than I ever expected as a guitarist (and I need the practice!).
[/quote]

I have to confess I really don't like soloing, and tend to avoid at all costs. Bass can, of course be a solo instrument (this is what Steve Lawson does very well, but he also plays stunningly well as a more "conventional" player and band musician), but I play bass because I want to play ensemble and just like to groove and love the feeling playing the bass gives, of feeling at the "centre" of the group - not because I have an overly self important opinion that it would all fall apart without me, but that I can give my best so that others have the solid underpinning to do what they do best.

Check out Steve Lawson, then please consider withdrawing your agreement of the earlier response to my earlier post!

PS. I started out in my school band playing guitar, and as there were three guitarists and no bassist one of us had to do it... I have never looked back (but do own, and play, two guitars).

Edited by MoJoKe

[b]Choice. I've been a guitarist since i was a kid but about 15 yrs ago i literally found myself holding a bass at a rehearsal and just loved it. Never looked back in fact. I still enjoy playing guitar but there's something about moving some major air that just appeals and i like bass in everything audio; car stereos, TV, iPOD, whatever. I even set my live guitar rig to give it plenty of bottom end response. [/b]

[b]I like holding a sound together and everyone knows the bass does that right? ;) [/b]

[b]Weirdly i feel like a natural bass player but not on a guitar? Darned if i understand it. [/b]

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1354462437' post='1886184']
Bass can, of course be a solo instrument ...Check out Steve Lawson, then please consider withdrawing your agreement of the earlier response to my earlier post!
[/quote]

Of course it can be a solo instrument! I said it doesn't work for ME as a solo instrument :)

The thing is, I spend some of my time practicing, and some of my time just playing. Sometimes when I'm playing I treat is as a performance, usually one without an audience, but sometimes my fiance is around. In that situation, with my ability and my style, an acoustic guitar or a piano gets me far closer to the sort of thing she may actually enjoy listening to! And sometimes, on those days when I'm playing well (by my standards) I enjoy listening to myself play...

With bass, I don't really get that. Partly because I'm not good enough, and partly becuase the kind of thing I like to play on bass lends itself entirely to ensemble performance.

In the same way, the kind of thing I like to play on acoustic lends itself to solo performance and not to ensemble. So if a few friends are round and want to play some music I'd much rather pick up my bass than my acoustic.

So, really, I need all three. Bass, guitar, piano. Four, if you include my voice.

[quote name='Seb_C' timestamp='1354789262' post='1890309']
Of course it can be a solo instrument! I said it doesn't work for ME as a solo instrument :)

The thing is, I spend some of my time practicing, and some of my time just playing. Sometimes when I'm playing I treat is as a performance, usually one without an audience, but sometimes my fiance is around. In that situation, with my ability and my style, an acoustic guitar or a piano gets me far closer to the sort of thing she may actually enjoy listening to! And sometimes, on those days when I'm playing well (by my standards) I enjoy listening to myself play...

With bass, I don't really get that. Partly because I'm not good enough, and partly becuase the kind of thing I like to play on bass lends itself entirely to ensemble performance.

In the same way, the kind of thing I like to play on acoustic lends itself to solo performance and not to ensemble. So if a few friends are round and want to play some music I'd much rather pick up my bass than my acoustic.

So, really, I need all three. Bass, guitar, piano. Four, if you include my voice.
[/quote]

It's not a solo instrument. If it's used that way, it's just wrong.

I kind of learned bass and guitar in parallel. My dad had an old Eros acoustic guitar that he showed my some chords and bits on when I was about 12-13. At the same time, there were some one on one music lessons available at my school. Had to pick your top three - I chose guitar (classical), then bass guitar, then tuba! I was to learn bass. My tutor was a local jazzer, who quickly me everything from 12 bar blues, to classical double bass pieces to slap and the killer jazz standards. Anyway, I digress....

I ended up with a 'ZZ Top' branded P-bass copy and a Squire strat. I played guitar for fun - set up my own band with school mates, and bass for exams, school shows etc (which was actually quite fun, done Grease, Rocky Horror & more).

As I got older, I initially played guitar in bands, but always got frustrated with poor bass players who struggled to play on the beat root notes in time. It didn't take me long to realise that I was a pretty average guitarist (crap at lead, decent at rhythm!), but a skilled bass player. There were plenty of guitarists out there who were better than me, but not too many bassists. So since then (the late 90s), I've stuck to bass. Played in several bands, recorded an album and done plenty of gigs.

Honestly - I moved to bass because I was good at it, not because I was rubbish at guitar!

I played bass when I was a teenager but then stopped playing music altogether for years (lots of reasons, too many to go into). I was going through a dodgy time many years later and I had been talking about taking up guitar: my wife bought me one for my birthday and I loved it. Started doing a bit of home recording later on and picked up a bass to lay down some low end. Bumped into an old mate at a gig who said he needed a bass player and did I know anyone: been in RedEye ever since and I love it. There's just something about locking in with the drummer and getting a solid foundation for the song that feels RIGHT. Still love my guitar though and use it for songwriting and general fun and games.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1354790212' post='1890328']
It's not a solo instrument. If it's used that way, it's just wrong.
[/quote]

Doesnt work for me as a solo instrument, I wont play solos, and I hate hearing them. A good strong bass line, in a bass driven number speaks for itself, but doesnt matter how well done, bass solos bore me just as much as drum solos do.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1354885363' post='1891596']
Doesnt work for me as a solo instrument, I wont play solos, and I hate hearing them. A good strong bass line, in a bass driven number speaks for itself, but doesnt matter how well done, bass solos bore me just as much as drum solos do.
[/quote]

Word.

Started on Flute (grade 7), moved to classical guitar (still playing and learning), bass is my love, have done vocals, and also now playing drums. As someone said earlier in the thread, i'd find it difficult to play just one instrument, but I'm drawn to bass for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. I have no doubt that I could play lead guitar ok (after all, my classical 6 string is not too bad!) but I don't want to.

Bass also requires a degree of theory (either explicit, or just 'felt') that lead guitar doesn't - it takes a certain kind of musical mind to play it well... or so I like to tell myself.

Also, my rather good looking Drum teacher (Emily) assures me that bass players always look sexy 'something about bass that makes the player hot!' - who are we to disagree with such a knowledgeable person? ;)

Edited by lowdowner

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1355080102' post='1893821']
Started on Flute (grade 7), moved to classical guitar (still playing and learning), bass is my love, have done vocals, and also now playing drums. As someone said earlier in the thread, i'd find it difficult to play just one instrument, but I'm drawn to bass for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. I have no doubt that I could play lead guitar ok (after all, my classical 6 string is not too bad!) but I don't want to.

Bass also requires a degree of theory (either explicit, or just 'felt') that lead guitar doesn't - it takes a certain kind of musical mind to play it well... or so I like to tell myself.

Also, my rather good looking Drum teacher (Emily) assures me that bass players always look sexy 'something about bass that makes the player hot!' - who are we to disagree with such a knowledgeable person? ;)
[/quote]

Your drum teacher sounds like a woman who knows her stuff! :D