Why become a member? ×

Would you buy a bass or amp from Tesco?

brensabre79

This may be common knowledge, but not to me. I've just discovered that Tesco now includes a music shop!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sports-leisure/musical-instruments/cat3376536.cat?catId=4294960514

Oranges and apples?

Ampeg and eggs?

Not for me, I'll be going to the traditional music shop until they are all driven out of business.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354009968' post='1880647']
Bloody hell! Is this really a Fender bass..?

[url="http://www.tesco.com/direct/fender-starcaster-jazz-bass/517-7012.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=517-7012"]http://www.tesco.com...&skuId=517-7012[/url]
[/quote]

Yes except for the fact its a Precision in the pic and the product spec says its 130mm deep!! :blink:

Im assuming these are one below the Affinity range?

They look very fisherprice to me :mellow:

A

Yes, I would buy gear from/via Tesco if it was financially advantageous for me to do so. In the traditional music shops up here bass is treated at best as an afterthought and at worst like the guitar's big, inept cousin and because of this it wouldn't negatively impact my life if they went belly up.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354011921' post='1880691']
...In the traditional music shops up here bass is treated at best as an afterthought and at worst like the guitar's big, inept cousin...[/quote]

I always imagined the guitar to be the bass's crass, attention-seeking younger brother...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1354011062' post='1880671']
whats the difference between tescos and thomann?
[/quote]

That was my first thought.

Why can't a retail business expand its product lines? After all, when you're one of the world's biggest and most successful retail businesses, how else are they going to maintain their growth?

People buy all manner of things from Amazon after all.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1354016945' post='1880782']
I'd have a Tesco Value Bass, white with the Tesco value logo emblazoned right across the front. Made in a sweatshop, tested on animals and comes flat pack. £19.99
[/quote]

ha ha!! Now that would be quit cool. Im concidering another project :D

A

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1354016945' post='1880782']
I'd have a Tesco Value Bass, white with the Tesco value logo emblazoned right across the front. Made in a sweatshop, tested on animals and comes flat pack. £19.99
[/quote]

It's got to be done, the only white bass I have is a 70s Jazz, but i'm tempted to get a decal :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1354011921' post='1880691']
In the traditional music shops up here bass is treated at best as an afterthought and at worst like the guitar's big, inept cousin [/quote]

Now, now Mr Neepheid don't exagerate things.......you know they dont rate bass as highly as that up here..... :(

Tescos bass....mmm....might just get one to go with my t-shirt :D

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESCO-VALUE-BASS-PLAYER-White-Tshirt-Fender-Gibson-All-Sizes-Perfect-for-Xmas-/250934849296"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESCO-VALUE-BASS-PLAYER-White-Tshirt-Fender-Gibson-All-Sizes-Perfect-for-Xmas-/250934849296[/url]

If my experience of trying to buy car insurance from Tesco's was anything to go by, I wouldn't bother (liars and crooks springs to mind). It wouldn't surprise me if this is just another Tesco subsidiary with dodgy customer service standards.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1354023144' post='1880922']
If my experience of trying to buy car insurance from Tesco's was anything to go by, I wouldn't bother (liars and crooks springs to mind). It wouldn't surprise me if this is just another Tesco subsidiary with dodgy customer service standards.
[/quote]
It seems to be GAK in the main for bass stuff. Make of that what you will, I have rarely found them that helpful in store, or online to be honest, but maybe thats me. They have probably done a deal for commission or something.

I bought a gig bag from them before, it came from a different music shop. It's a bit like amazon. That 'Fender' Starcaster is on par with a Squier Affinity Strat. Garbage, basically.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1354025312' post='1880980']

[/quote]

That guitar looks really nice!

Edited by Ultima2876