Why become a member? ×

Zoom b9.1ut General discussion thread.

Shockwave

I used to run a processor ALL the time for guitar, having assembled a complex set of patches combining chorus, compression, reverbs, delays, drives etc. It's really handy to turn up with an instrument, amp and board, plug 2 items in to the mains and use 2 cables to connect up, knowing that all your sounds will be exactly as they always were, just diddling the amp a little to trim for the environment. If you're prepared to take the time to design patches fro scratch and you're happy with the un-effected signals sound then it should be adjustable to do what you want for live use.

Eventually I moved to separate pedals because there were other changes in my rig and the environments I was playing in, and the processor no longer met what my ears demanded.

I've used my B2.1u a couple of times playing bass in church, and was pleased with the tones it produced, even just using a couple of the presets without any adjustment except to the amp. I'm also a little 'on the edge' about grabbing one of these, but there's other things I'd rather spend the money on, plus this is a big piece of kit and I already have a couple of large processors, the B2.1u, a Behringer X-V amp, pedalboard etc etc laying around taking up space.

Don't buy it just because it a bargain , buy it if you'll use it , and I have to say it is VERY useable.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1353704245' post='1877763']
is whether or not I have the option to constantly run a dry bass line signal. theres plenty outputs and no doubt I can do it via the 2 XLR outs, but I was hoping I could run a single line into my amp, [/quote]

This can certainly be done using the Mono XLR channel , with the pre - effects button activated , you could probably have a cable adaptor to jack for the amp .

I used to have one when they first came out and didnt really use it so it got sold. Anyway im in a different band with only 1 guitarist now so i thought at that price its worth another go.
Through my old rig ( swr workingpro700, goliath 3,big ben) the eff3cts never seemed to cut through the mix but now with my barefaced s12t/rh750 setup it is detailed and clear.
I used it in rehearsal yesterday, the signal is lovely and clean and the overall sound is easy enough to tweak on the fly.
Im not really a big user of effects but its so handy to have everything i could need in one box.
Definitely a keeper for me. And that z control on the pedal is genius.

Got this this afternoon, and tried it for half an hour (via headphones and with a sh*tt*r of a bass) and my first thoughts are digital processing has come ALONG way since I last delved into multi FX 15 years ago! And it looks complicated! I've sat it down for a bit to have my tea and have a gander through the manual, but first impressions are very good!

Another update. After another hour of playing about with tonight (and a look through the manual lastnight) I'm getting to grips with this. I've realised that using it in 'play' mode is the best option, as I can then set up a set of 4 patches which I'l use most of the time. Then have an other bank with another 4 unusual sounds. A nice touch is that I can set up a clean tone on the first patch, but then have the Z-pedal set up to increase gain, meaning that its just a twist of the pedal and I get a more driven sound without using a new patch. Still not used it through my amp yet, but I think just a touch of tweaking of the patches I've made should be enough.

A few pointers for people who are humming and hawing on pulling the plunger on this:

1: the big muff sounds great. Very thick and lots of bottom end.

2: Its pretty nice as a modeller too. Some of the amp models are very good!

3: The whole unit is rock solid, pretty heavy and seems to be built like a tank (including the expression pedal)

4: the Z-pedal is very usable, not just a gimmick.

5: Its actually pretty easy to navigate once you get passed the initial confusion (which might be just me, being a complete multifx newbie)

6: All the sounds have the possibility to mix in a dry signal so if its set up correctly, theres no loss of bottom end (once again this might be standard in fx units, i dont know)

7: aslong as you dont lob it down a flight of steps theres not much of a chance you're going to lose any money on it!

There you go, 7 reasons to get one!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1354041609' post='1881347']
Another update.
[/quote]

Thanks lefrash! You expressed what I couldn't.
...but if I could've expressed it, then of course I could've expressed it a lot better. ;)

Me, I couldn't hear the difference between the real seventies big muff in my head and this emulation. Then again, I reckon it's the single most easily emulated effect, seeing as we're talking sum and difference frequencies, or what those are called in foreignish.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1353958929' post='1880301']
Hey Shock,

Could you say more 'bout that? I'm convinced it's interesting to others.

best,
bert
[/quote]

I just havent got the time to work it out! Wouldnt mind a guitar multi effect though cause I could really use one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well hopefully Santa will be leaving one under the tree..... :D

It remains to be seen whether I'll get on with it and use it regularly or not. Provided the compressors and drive sounds are good, it could feasibly replace everything else! Already planning what patches I'm gonna set up! I think the "z" expression pedal could be quite useful.

I'm finding the OD sounds pretty good. Not really had to dial in more than one type of OD, but it sounds organic and non-digital. No loss in bottom end either (as long as you set it up ok). At the moment my main tone is completely clean, but with the pedal as a OD blend, so I;ve got full control exactly how much drive I use at any point. and then the Z pedal as a high gain blend (for the real high gain bits. Really nice touch that Z pedal.