Why become a member? ×

Zoom b9.1ut General discussion thread.

Shockwave

Hi guys.

Like many of you I picked up the Zoom b9.1ut deal at GAK recently.

However it is a very complicated bit of kit! So a couple of questions.

I had a quick blast on it in Manual mode last night, is there a way of preselecting patches before actually changing to that patch in manual mode? I assume you can do this in play mode? Can anyone tell me exactly what combination I would need to press?

Lastly does anyone have some patch files that are better then some of the ridiculous ones that are on there stock?

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1353497548' post='1875154']

I had a quick blast on it in Manual mode last night, is there a way of preselecting patches before actually changing to that patch in manual mode? I assume you can do this in play mode? Can anyone tell me exactly what combination I would need to press?

[/quote]

The function buttons can be programed to switch from manual to play , so you can access your patch in play then hit the button to go to manual mode .

So how is this toy working out for folks? at 109 quid at the moment its well worth a punt I guess. Is it more of a toy than a pro bit of kit?

The main things I'm interested in are the compressor, the noise gate, fuzz, OD and synth effects. Are these any good on them? On the youtube reviews I've not been overly impressed, and my last excursion into multi FX was 15 years ago with the zoom 506 which was very much a toy.

The other question is, would it make me want to get rid of my seperate digitech synth wah and fuzz pedal?

Inbetween, I think. Nice as it's programmable and stuff, and way better sounding than can be expected or than old Zooms, but not so much the board that takes over as the board that gives you a great start.

At 200 quid it was a steal already. At 109 ...

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I'm loving it. Cant believe it was just 100 sniffs.

Been modding patches and getting everything in the first couple of user banks on the headphones tonight and it sounds great. Used it at last nights rehearsal without much time to get used to it and it seemed pretty straightforward.

Compressors seems pretty good and its not particularly noisy. Loads of mad stuff i'll never use on it but the core sounds seem pretty good. Like the Aguilar and Gallien for rocky stuff and the Pops preset is nice and fat for slower stuff.

First outing properly on Saturday at The Crown in Egham,Surrey if anyones over that way.

I have found that the distorted effects really hold the bottom end much better than I expected , this will be a keeper for me.
I love the Aux in , it will simplify my practice set up a fair bit.
There are some great patches which you can twist the pedal for some awesome delay and distortion , may not be perfect for Mustang Sally , but would totally suit a monster solo

I've got a B2.1u already and have started using it as a recording interface, going through the USB->Mac. Any thoughts on whether the sound quality for recording with this would be better than the 2.1?

For that matter, is this unit really different from my 2.1 apart from a few more knobs and switches? Worth the 'upgrade' or just carry on as is?

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1353668369' post='1877116']
I've got a B2.1u already and have started using it as a recording interface, going through the USB->Mac. Any thoughts on whether the sound quality for recording with this would be better than the 2.1?

For that matter, is this unit really different from my 2.1 apart from a few more knobs and switches? Worth the 'upgrade' or just carry on as is?
[/quote]
As an interface I have used the 2.1 but not tried the 9.1 yet , but as I have yet to get my head around the DAW I might not have an answer , but I will try over the weekend .
For 'upgrade' It depends on what you use it for, my 2.1 was a bit battered was probably due a retirement so this was perfect and an upgrade , they do have a much stronger and fuller sound than the 2.1 and at first glance appears much easier to use. the preamp/eq is easier to work on , and various effects can be just tapped on and off in the same patch.

Handy hint. I have all my stage sounds set up on one set of banks, A through J or some such. I then have them repeated on banks 1 though 7 or some such only with the cabinet simulation switched on for headphone rehearsing. This means I can practice my switching too and have all my stage sounds but sounding good in cans.

Well I managed to convince myself and I went and got one of these from Gak. I've got a Hartke Bass Attack and although its a nice pedal, I dont think its for me. My whole pedal board at the moment only really does 3 noises. So its a lot of gear for not a lot of action. I'm hopin this might take over my whole effects needs.

One thing I'm slightly worried about (which has been muted a bit by lurksalots review) is whether or not I have the option to constantly run a dry bass line signal. theres plenty outputs and no doubt I can do it via the 2 XLR outs, but I was hoping I could run a single line into my amp, with all this done via the software. I'l find out on monday when I get it, but I like to think about these things in advance! haha.

Glad it's sounding good for you guys. I was tempted to buy one, but couldn't bring myself to because of previous experience with the guitarist in the last band who had the Guitar version. The sound he got from it was far worse than his old Boss effects pedal, and it put a really high pitched 'digital' squeal to his sound which drove the drummer and I mad. He obviously couldn't hear it (deaf), but that was definitely one of the factors in her leaving that band. It was painful to listen to.

If the good reports on here keep coming, I might be persuaded to get Father Christmas involved . . .

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1353753186' post='1878063']
Aaaarrrrgggghhh! I've been talking myself in and out of buying one all week! Decisions, decisions.......
[/quote]

I know how you feel, I've already got a b2 which only gets used on a few songs, I don't need a b9.1ut but I want one.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1353753186' post='1878063']
Are they pretty easy to use then?
[/quote]

I think so. But I also think one must read a little in the manual to get a good start. For example, the earlier made rmark about the sensitivity is very important.

It's a real steal, and I think everyone understands that, but this thread contains a lot of uncertainty.
My take: it's a well-made machine of great usability, and with overall good sound. It will never do better than a range of separates, but in my mind it is a steal already at 400 quid, let alone at 109.

That and the tube really [b]glows[/b]! Worth the price of admission alone! :)

That's enough! I'm gonna pull it out right now, and experiment s'more!

b...

Mmmmm..... It's difficult because I generally prefer a nice, un-effected bass sound, but I think "ooh, maybe that song would sound good with a little chorus/octave/envelope filter/wah, etc, etc. For some reason I've convinced myself that I should have some synth effects to hand too (although at present I've no idea what for!). I currently run a Boss LMB-3 clone into my MXR M-80 into a Boss ODB-3 (for the rare occasion I need some overdrive), and I get a great sound. Just a bit concerned I'll buy the Zoom, have fun for a week or so and then never use it again......

Edited by TRBboy