Why become a member? ×

Zoom b9.1ut General discussion thread.

Shockwave

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks,

I got one of these about a week ago and i was loving it through the headphones. Really loving it but when i took it to my practice room and got it through my amp i am having difficulty getting any sounds that are even close to the headphone sounds.

All the amp models sound really similar as do the dist and OD's. I had my amp , Peavey TKO with black widow speaker set flat to begin with.

Any useful advice on setting up patches with regard to the pedal or amps in general?

Forgive my ignorance, but how would i be able to tell how what i was editing on my computer would sound like when hooked up to an amp?

I went back to the room last night and just palayed with it for hours and eventually i started getting somewhere but im still uncertain if i can hear much difference in any of the od's or distortions.

Im going to keep at it though, cheers.

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1364311129' post='2024646']
Howdy folks,

I got one of these about a week ago and i was loving it through the headphones. Really loving it but when i took it to my practice room and got it through my amp i am having difficulty getting any sounds that are even close to the headphone sounds.

All the amp models sound really similar as do the dist and OD's. I had my amp , Peavey TKO with black widow speaker set flat to begin with.

Any useful advice on setting up patches with regard to the pedal or amps in general?
[/quote]

Just a thought....

Turn any cab emulation off if you're sending the ouptut to an amp.

Got to run now but I'll have a think tomorrow and see if there's anything else that might help

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1364311129' post='2024646'] Howdy folks, I got one of these about a week ago and i was loving it through the headphones. Really loving it but when i took it to my practice room and got it through my amp i am having difficulty getting any sounds that are even close to the headphone sounds. All the amp models sound really similar as do the dist and OD's. I had my amp , Peavey TKO with black widow speaker set flat to begin with. Any useful advice on setting up patches with regard to the pedal or amps in general? [/quote]

re: headphones vs amp/cab -- yes, it does sound different, but I always find that anyway with anything, and it's even more noticable with the stereo effects...
I set my basic patches how I like 'em at home for practicing (currently using 4, at A1-4) then copy them elsewhere (I use B1-4) then tweak them for live use - as whatever sounds good solo at home will almost certainly sound carp with the rest of the band. So I've got A1-4 for noodling at home, but B1-4 as the "live" equivalents. If that makes sense...?

re: the amp/cab sims and ODs - mine (the stock ones) definitely don't sound similar. Whether they sound anything like whatever they're trying to be is another matter (what should a SVT/8x10 sound like, when it's through a LH500/BF Compact?) but the stock ODB3, for example, sounds very different to the stock Big Muff.

I just view the stock patches as tonal presets, to use as a starting point for crafting a sound that I can use.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1364572714' post='2028365']
re: headphones vs amp/cab -- yes, it does sound different, but I always find that anyway with anything, and it's even more noticable with the stereo effects...
I set my basic patches how I like 'em at home for practicing (currently using 4, at A1-4) then copy them elsewhere (I use B1-4) then tweak them for live use - as whatever sounds good solo at home will almost certainly sound carp with the rest of the band. So I've got A1-4 for noodling at home, but B1-4 as the "live" equivalents. If that makes sense...?

re: the amp/cab sims and ODs - mine (the stock ones) definitely don't sound similar. Whether they sound anything like whatever they're trying to be is another matter (what should a SVT/8x10 sound like, when it's through a LH500/BF Compact?) but the stock ODB3, for example, sounds very different to the stock Big Muff.

I just view the stock patches as tonal presets, to use as a starting point for crafting a sound that I can use.
[/quote]

Yeah, they all did sound very different in headphones but when i was first tinkering live they were all just coming out as a very bassy fuzz but after taking the cab modeling off and just spending ages tweaking its sounding a lot better.

Im going to keep messing with it for another few weeks and see if i can get it perfect and then i'll make my decision as to weather or not shes a keeper. Although to be honest for 80 bucks i might just keep her for the house.

Thanks for your input everyone.