Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass refinish type thing... FINISHED! photos up (page 2)

LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357204562' post='1918938']
Finished - been meaning to stick photos up for a while. My other half calls it the tomato soup bass... as you can see why!

the red goes well with the vintage white and the chocolatey brown of the fretboard
[/quote]

Looks good Luke, you know it needs the chrome covers though! :D

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1357207641' post='1918981']
Looks good Luke, you know it needs the chrome covers though! :D
[/quote]

was tempted... but the best sound is either a smidgin in front of the neck pup or over the bridge so they would get in the way!

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357238318' post='1919669']
Good job - looks great!
[/quote]
[quote name='gub' timestamp='1357241121' post='1919756']
Nice !
[/quote]
[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1357242360' post='1919792']
Looking good!
[/quote]
[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1357246661' post='1919918']
Looks good!
[/quote]
[quote name='Mark Dixon' timestamp='1357342419' post='1921519']
Love the colour!
[/quote]

thanks guys! :D

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1357245791' post='1919893']
That does look good. I take it the Molotow paints are about as nasty as any other nitro and need a proper respirator? I'm sort of tempted to have a go at a telecaster body some time, but the faff of trying to find a suitable space and not make myself or anyone else ill puts me off somewhat!
[/quote]

define "need" .... ;)
Background.... my first degree was in sculpture... we used to do quite a lot of daft things using materials we shouldn't have used that way... so I guess you learn ways of not breathing in too many fumes. (there was a time late at night when spreading dope on a plane wing type thing I forgot... and didn't sleep much that day!

So Molotow is graffiti paint and half designed to be used indoors, it also makes very little dust (ie less stuff in the air) you'll see all the pro graffiti guys wearing masks and I think if you used it everyday then you would.
The first body was mainly sprayed outside... which as the weather went cold didn't really work.... I ended up in the basement! Not exactly good ventalation but I wasn't stupid about it and... well it's nice paint so you don't end up with red snot which you would with some paints.
It's not nitro cellulose - but Nitro Alkalid which I think is a more acrylic based nitro - GREAT coverage (i.e. if you didn't want to sand back you could do it in one coat) and drys and behaves like nitro does. It will be interesting to see how it wears with time. I'm not expecting it to fade or decolour really.
But for £3.50 a tin... it's great stuff and fairly idiot proof. Work somewhere well ventilated and you'll be fine.
You prob know it but Underground Solution on cockburn st have them behind the counter.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1373835550' post='2142149']
I realise this thread goes back a while now, but what was the white coat that you used before the red? I'm looking at the Molotow paints at the moment and can't find a dedicated primer in the range. I've got Jazzmaster guitar body, and I think it's going to be one of the more bilious greens!
[/quote] ah now I see it! Molotow white :)

Wow that looks amazing! Graffiti paint - what a discovery! I have actually just spent this evening sanding OFF some nitrocellulose vintage amber tint on my jazz neck. It looked horrible just yellow and cheesy. Cost me £12 too.
That shock orange looks just like fiesta red and the finish looks very pro too. Congratulations!
I wonder if they do anything like surf green.
What kind of clear coat did you use?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really nice bass LukeFRC, yours and gjones's basses have shown how I can get my jazz bass finished nicely before the weather gets too cold.
Originally I Was going to go with Wudtone, but researching the sanding sealer that was applied to my saga kit body, Apparantly sanding doesn't work too well to remove it.
So solid colour purple or green it is..... Just to decide which, Feel more like going purple again.

ahh sorry I hardly ever look in this forum so didn't notice folk relplying to this thread.
Molotow was one of the finds of the year for art projects at uni (yep LukeFRC BA Sculpture 2:1 MA Design(Graphics) ) nd works really well with guitars as a cheap alternative. I've never used real nitro so can't compare[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1375134317' post='2157213']
Wow that looks amazing! Graffiti paint - what a discovery! I have actually just spent this evening sanding OFF some nitrocellulose vintage amber tint on my jazz neck. It looked horrible just yellow and cheesy. Cost me £12 too.
That shock orange looks just like fiesta red and the finish looks very pro too. Congratulations!
I wonder if they do anything like surf green.
What kind of clear coat did you use?
[/quote]
Molotow clear gloss topcoat. It's their hardwearing finish - goes on nice. If I did it agian with practice I would get a almost shop quality gloss. :) takes as long as nitro takes to cure though!
[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1377616512' post='2189438']
And 5 hrs later paint has dried

[attachment=142461:blue.jpg]
[/quote] that was quick! had it cured properly?

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1374914217' post='2154671']
Did you use a respirator when spraying?
CAn you do it outside? Would you still need a respirator then?
[/quote]
no
stupid? i used it in a small basement with little ventilation and no respirator. Not the best idea really.
I used to use all sorts of chemicals and stuff as a student, and while you are probably wise to use a ventilator this stuff isn't particually bad. As it drys it also gives off fumes so leaving it somewhere ventilated. Outside it would be fine without a respitator. Use it every day... get a respirator.... but a shed or somewhere where you can spray with a window or door open then leave it to dry without you being there... should be fine

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1377942448' post='2193803']
no
stupid? i used it in a small basement with little ventilation and no respirator. Not the best idea really.
I used to use all sorts of chemicals and stuff as a student, and while you are probably wise to use a ventilator this stuff isn't particually bad. As it drys it also gives off fumes so leaving it somewhere ventilated. Outside it would be fine without a respitator. Use it every day... get a respirator.... but a shed or somewhere where you can spray with a window or door open then leave it to dry without you being there... should be fine
[/quote]
Cheers

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1377942194' post='2193799']
that was quick! had it cured properly?
[/quote]

Yes it was pretty hard and dry. On the can it says it drys fully in 4 hrs. I could have given it a polish but the finish is pretty good without it. It also gives the impression it's pretty hard wearing too. What a great find Molotow paint is. Thanks for the heads up I owe you a pint.

By the way I just used a B&Q mask when I painted mine, which did the trick.

Now what colour shall I paint it next week?